LegacyGT.com

Plant closure, low sales to sink Lincoln's venerable Town Car flagship

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Company has informed the Canadian Auto Workers union that it won't move the Lincoln Town Car to a plant in Ontario, putting the venerable luxury nameplate in jeopardy.

Ford plans to idle the Wixom, Mich., plant, where the Town Car is assembled, during the second quarter of 2007. Ford officials won't say what will happen to the Town Car, Lincoln's top-selling vehicle since at least 1980.

The Town Car also has been a mainstay of the livery business, which Chrysler will enter this year with the stretched 300.

CAW President Buzz Hargrove told Automotive News that Ford executives have told the union that Town Car production won't shift to the St. Thomas, Ontario, plant. That plant makes the Town Car's sister products, the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.

The automaker underscored that decision in meetings with the CAW in early June, Hargrove said.

"We've been arguing for it," he said. "It makes sense, even if you only put 30,000 or 40,000" units in the Canadian plant.

Indeed, moving the Town Car to St. Thomas seems to be the only plan that makes sense if Ford intends to keep the Lincoln flagship in its lineup. Because St. Thomas is tooled up for similar products, it would cost Ford far less to move the Town Car there than elsewhere.

Without a move to St. Thomas, it looks as if the Town Car will die after Wixom production ends next year, one analyst says.

"I'm going to put the fork in it because there's no other place they can go with it," said Erich Merkle of IRN Inc., an automotive consulting firm in Grand Rapids, Mich. "They're not going to invest in the tooling and equipment for Town Car at another plant - I can't imagine."

The end of the Town Car would leave just Cadillac as a player in the "old codger" segment of the luxury market, Merkle said.

The average age of a retail Town Car buyer this year is 69, according to J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network. The average age of a Cadillac DTS buyer is 68. The average age of buyers in the large-premium-car segment is 61.

As its customers have aged, the Town Car has suffered.

"Let's face it, Town Car sales overall are just much lower than they used to be," said Ford sales analyst George Pipas. "The retail business is next to nothing."

During the first five months of 2006, about 59 percent of Town Cars built went to fleet customers, including livery businesses. Although the Town Car remains Lincoln's highest-volume car, it has been surpassed as the brand's retail top seller by the Zephyr, a mid-sized sedan that went on sale last fall.

This year Lincoln is selling an average of about 1,530 retail Town Cars per month, compared with about 2,550 retail Zephyrs per month. The Town Car's retail sales are down 21 percent through May, Pipas said. The Lincoln brand's overall sales are up 5.3 percent for the same period.

Pipas said he is not privy to Ford's plans for the Town Car. But he said retail customers - even though their numbers are dwindling - would be disappointed if the model dies.

"Customers who view the next-generation large Lincoln, they may view it very positively - but it won't be a Town Car," he said.

If Ford stops making the Town Car with the closure of the Wixom plant next year, there will be a gap before a replacement product is on the market. Ford plans a production version of the Lincoln MKS concept car featured at the 2006 Detroit auto show. It could arrive as early as late 2007. But that vehicle, based on the Ford Five Hundred platform, is much smaller.

It wouldn't be a suitable substitute for livery businesses that have relied on the Town Car for decades. They might look at a stretched version of the Chrysler 300 that goes on sale this fall. Chrysler has said it expects as much as 70 percent of the sales of the Chrysler 300 Long Wheelbase sedan will go to livery customers.

Even if the Town Car is discontinued after Wixom closes, that

doesn't mean its Panther platform siblings also will be killed. Ford has told the CAW that it plans to build the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis at the St. Thomas plant until at least 2010, Hargrove said. After that, the plant's future is up in the air.

St. Thomas already has had a number of down weeks this year, Ford sources said. It will go to four-day production weeks in July, reducing weekly output to 4,000 units from about 5,000. A line-speed reduction planned for August will reduce output further.

The capacity reductions will minimize the need for further down weeks for the rest of the year, a Ford spokesman said.

The St. Thomas plant is scheduled to go to one shift of production in 2007. Going to one shift often is a harbinger that a plant will close.

Ford has said it will close seven assembly plants through 2012 as part of its Way Forward restructuring plan for North America. Two of those seven plants remain unidentified.

"I have a very nervous feeling long term about St. Thomas," Hargrove said. "We have no reason at this point to be optimistic that they're going to do anything with St. Thomas."

Another good example of the poor American Car Industry sinking....

It was about time, Ford Motor Company either replaced or modified it in order to atract customers...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Without the Town Car how will I get to the airport :lol:

Volvo's S80 man!!!!

I have caught them from Boston Couch several times, they are replacing all of their TC for S80's!!!!

Hehehehheehehh

Another good way of saying goodbye to an American Car Company model...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Ford has been killing the Town Car, and the entire Panther platform, for the past 5-6 years by totally neglecting it. Other than a suspension redo for 2003 it's the exact same frame as it was in 1978.

Instead of planning for and then moving to a completely new platform (still v8 / rwd), they let it die on purpose to "ready the consumer" to move to a Ford 500-based vehicle instead. That car, while ok design-wise, SUCKS when it comes to the drivetrain. 200 whole horsepower and a CVT rubberband transmission? WTF?

Ford could have offered the Town Car with the 300hp v8 and a 5 or 6spd auto for the past several years but chose not too, even though Caddy has been 300+ hp for over a decade. It's not like that's excessive - Lexus will have 380hp and an 8 speed auto in its new 460 this fall.

Too bad that just as other makers have discovered the popularity of a big rwd v8 car, Ford is abandoning theirs to supply the world with more bland FWD bellybuttons. Chrysler LX platform FTW!

It just boggles the mind the kind of suicidal decisions Ford and GM make over time. Real head scratchers. Can't the Marquis, Victoria and Car be combined into one model instead of scraping all three? Just a thought.

They already are pretty much one model. The Linc's bodywork is slightly different, but it is mostly the same underpinning. For some reason they won't transfer the lincoln, and build them all in one factory.

Interesting that the sales fell to 1500 units a month. That is a hundred or so units more than the Subaru Legacy sedan, and it is supposedly on the upswing over the last year or two. Shows how SMALL Subaru's marketshare is.

They need to make a replacement for that car. It is a dinosaur. Instead it will become extinct.

The Crown Vic at least still has a good sale base to taxi companies, and police as cruisers...

but they are almost as ancient as the Ford Ranger. When is ford going to actually update it's product? (didn't the panther platform change to unibody in the early nineties, when it first came out with the modular 4.6 engine, like 92-93, or something?

The Chrysler 300 is probably a much nicer car, with better dynamics, comfort, and amenities, and still RWD.

Ford is gonna regret replacing the panther platform with a FWD-faux-wheel-drive platform, like the 500. People bought those cars because they were big tanks driven by the rear wheels. They took the longest time to go with unibody construction, too, because people like my grandfather (an old iowa farmer) thinks that any kind of decent car has to have body-on-frame construction, and a blue oval on the grille. Or a lincoln emblem, to show that you've retired well.

And trucks should all have 8-foot beds... that was an argument that ruined a thanksgiving weekend about 5-8 years ago... my father and uncles saying 6-foot pickup beds were fine, but my grandfather was adamant! Toward the end they were just trying to tick my granddad off by keeping the argument going.

But people like my granddad are such brand loyalists that he even bought Ford tractors nearly exclusively, as well as trucks and cars.

Killing that large car platform off is going to piss off a lot of those old brand loyalists... but there are fewer and fewer of them, and the cars haven't been redesigned in almost 15 years. New buyers, even if they are now in their 50's and 60s, were in their 30's when those cars came out, and don't want their long-earned luxury car to be that old.

That is why they buy lexus LS, or Caddy DTS, or Buicks, or something...

So (cliff notes here) can these old cars, but replace them the right way, with a new big car, not a FWD half-hearted attempt, that doesn't appeal to anyone in particular.

The Panthers are still body on frame -- the same frame from the 70s. Ford led the way with modular OHC v8's when everybody else said they were crazy for not keeping pushrod engines but they dropped the ball after that. Changing sheet metal every 10 years isn't the same as a new design!

The design feature that gives them their characteristic huge trunk (but also the poor rear foot room in the Crown Vic / Grand Marquis), the gas tank placement, will have to be relocated on future models. If they'd just make a 500-ish sedan with a ~ 300hp v8, 6-7 speed auto, and RWD or AWD (sounds like Chrysler, I know) they'd have a car that'd be useful for another decade or two. A v6 that makes power like a 1990 Tarus is not attractive in any wrapper.

My family bought two Grand Marquis' new, one in 1993 and the other in 2001. I bought an 01 model for myself in 2003. Both 01's are sold now because there are better options out there. My mother's Hyundai Azera has much more interior room, more options, more power, and almost as much trunk room as her old Marquis but the car's overall dimensions are smaller. She gets 26-27 mpg highway and the thing can still do an ungoverned 147 mph :D (magazines, not me!) She thought I was crazy when I suggested trying a Hyundai (she wasn't looking for a new car) but bought it as soon as she test drove it.

My grandfather, who bought Lincolns almost yearly for 30 years, moved to Lexus in 2001 because the LS 430 was just too much better than a Town Car to ignore any longer.

In their defense, the Panthers are bulletproof. They benefited from years of cop car testing and they're almost indestructable with proper maintenance. Our 93 is running great and has never had any service done except oil / fluids / etc. It also ran a 10.1 in the 1/8th mile so it's still pretty peppy after all these years!

Volvo's S80 man!!!!

I have caught them from Boston Couch several times, they are replacing all of their TC for S80's!!!!

Hehehehheehehh

Another good way of saying goodbye to an American Car Company model...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

And Volvo is owned by.....

////Ford is gonna regret replacing the panther platform with a FWD-faux-wheel-drive platform, like the 500. People bought those cars because they were big tanks driven by the rear wheels. They took the longest time to go with unibody construction, too, because people like my grandfather (an old iowa farmer) thinks that any kind of decent car has to have body-on-frame construction, and a blue oval on the grille. Or a lincoln emblem, to show that you've retired well.////

Yes, but the problem is that people who buy them are buried in them. The folks that bought Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics are now buying Camrys and Accords, not to mention Honda And Toyota SUV's.

My family owned Fords exclusively for almost 50 years. My older brother is the last holdout, although we have a 95 Ford truck.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I hate the panther platform. Ill be very glad to see it go. I used to work on them all the time. Big heavy slow pieces of crap with pickup truck rear suspension. they shoulda made it more like the old lincoln Mark VIII. that had a unibody and an independant rear suspension and the dohc 4.6L mustang cobra engine. if they had made it a 4 door sedan, it would have been awsome for that area of the market and a very nice alternative to the current caddies or chrystlers.

I live in the Town Car / Grand Marquis capital;)

Hell....There are 2 Town Cars & 3 Marquis on my street alone!

According to those individuals the platform only needs 3 things...

More Power......(like they would ever use it)

6 speed Auto....:rolleyes:

Larger wheels / Tires:lol:

One neighbor has a 05 Town Car & a 06 Grand Marquis.....he trades every 2 years & is a Devout buyer for these vehicles. He will be getting a 07 Town Car @ the end of the year but is unsure what he will purchase after that.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The users of these cars are die hard fans. You just can't say anything bad about these cars, to these guys its religion ;)

You think you have a lot, 90% of NY cabs are crown vics, the highway patrol cars are crown vics the highway patrol guys seem to be highly resistant to the front wheel drive Impalas (hmmmm I wonder why), and you cannot seriously call yourself a car service livery driver here unless you are riding a town car :D

If they made the 500 into a RWD interceptor like model to replace them, the highway patrol cops would seriously wet themselves with excitement I think. The livery cab drivers would be all over it if they made a Lincoln Town Car 500 RWD.

I just realised the town car cost double what the crown vic does....

Service vehicles are a given down here...I am talking about private residential consumers.

I would be willing to say 3 out of every 10 automobiles purchased by a consumer 55 or older in the state of FL are either Crown Vics...Marquis...Town Car.

Any & all new highway patrol vehicles being purchased in our state are now 06 Tahoe's:rolleyes:

You are sooooo right about them being die-hard fans to. I am sure as soon as I mention this to my one neighbor he will be beside himself!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree that Ford needs a new big RWD car. Badge-engineering the 500 isn't going to cut it for most people.

If they had built a decently competent car on the T-Bird/Mark8 platform, with four doors, a DOHC V8, and IRS, with a bit of european sport sedan fight in it, I would be considering buying a used one right now. That sounds an awful lot like an Australian Ford Falcon...hmm...

The LS was almost there, and they are cancelling that, too. Too bad they put a manual transmission on the wrong engine in that car. If it had a stick option, with the ~4 liter V8 and premium trim, and some more power (Like say the Jag S-Type R's Supercharged 4.2) in the sporty trim package, they probably would have sold a lot more of them.

Now if they would refine the car, use some of their new Jaguar/Volvo/Aston lessons to make the LS into a nicer car, more along the lines of the G35/M45, GS Lexus, and CTS-V/STS, they might have a seller on their hands.

But instead they are getting all ga-ga over FWD rebadged Fusions and Five-Hundreds. Yippie-frikkin-skippy.

And for Pete's sake, throw Mercury a damn BONE! FOMOCO isn't even giving them anything to work with. The Milan, Mountaineer, and Mariner are mostly tepid. They should have a sport sedan along the lines of a sporty LS V6/V8, and a nice GT coupe based on the S197 platform that underpins the new Mustang, with a NEW body and IRS. (not retro, Mustang handles that nicely, along with the "drag racing" duties. A Mercury would be prime to have a civilized and sporty ride quality, and good handling.)

Can you imagine a G35 Coupe/GTO competitor from Mercury with the new 3.5 V6, and a 4.6 3-valve or 4-valve V8, with a 6AT, 6MT, or even a DSG/F1 style computer-clutched manual? Something like the MC4 concept car (RX8-like "freestyle" doors, rear fastback hatch, fold-flat rear seats... With aesthetics brought up to current style.)

How would that not sell, if done correctly? Even if it borrows a few Mustang GT sales, it is still a ford S197 platform sale, rather than Ford loosing more and more sales and marketshare.

But I haven't seen that any car company in the US that is really interested in new and innovative products for the sake of the products or what the consumers would like. So out of touch.

They aren't the only devout fans -- I enjoyed my car, and I defy anyone to claim it was "slow". After 50 mph it walked away from a stock WRX with ease.

John's 2001 Grand Marquis LSE

Just a couple of years ago, our old old 93 model ran the same thing in the 1/8th as a mid-90s 4.6 automatic Mustang did so it wasn't too bad for a family sedan. They just missed their chance on giving it more power when it was available.

There are plenty of 12 and 13-second Crown Vic / Grand Marquis' out there. The "slow and boring" stereotype comes from the granny model cars with 2.73 rears and floaty suspension. Try it with the handling & performance package or the P71 police package and it's no longer a floating couch. I realize it's no SRT-8 either but come on!

Ford's ace in the hole is the 3-valve SOHC 4.6 with 300hp. It's cheaper to produce than the DOHC and makes more power down low. It'll go into any of their v8 offerings yet they continue to make the lowly 2-valve specifically for the Panther instead of making just one 4.6 for everything.

added: and WTF? When did the board start self-naming URLs? I just typed the URL and it grabbed the heading from the actual page!

The Panther platform is a no brainer for Ford. It is paid for technology. As for Police fleets and Taxi Cabs. Profits are not as great as you would think. Police fleets are bid driven. Don't know about Taxis. Ford is not the only rear drive game in town thanks to the LX cars from DC. It all comes down to ecomonics. Ford and GM know this, and like this lame thinking of theirs. Not building break out products like DC is. GM cars with V-8s that are front drivers, old Panther platforms. It is about making dollars quick and easy. If GM built an Impala rear drive V8 and the Monte Carlo the same, it would sell more of them. But the tooling costs etc. I think scare them. Same at Ford. Yes the platforms and the thinking are old. But the short term profits and thinking keep these guys in the back seat compared to the rest of the world.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

• 1 year later...

Ford is doing the right things.

Yes, letting the Crown Victoria and Town Car models fade away may seem short sighted, but the truth is that Ford simply doesn't have the resources to toss away chasing a dying segment of the market place.

When gas hits $4 or $5/gallon 21 MPG isn't gonna cut it for all but the 5 percent of the market who don't need to care about fuel efficiency. Ford has a decent Fusion/Taurus product, and the 500, and Zephyr will have to do for those who prefer a tad more luxury.

While the New Chrysler's Charger is an impressive car and will continue to attract buyers with their V6 and soon to arrive Cummings Turbo-diesel V8, it isn't going to be a large market segment car.

Ford's less bizarre looking Focus, and the new Taurus are what will be known as the volume sellers, and these are the sorts of cars Ford needs to focus on in order to achieve consistent profitability over the long term for the next 24 or so months.

Did you guys hear about GM slashing the truck production, closing plants and laying off 3500 people???

http://cwimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CW&Date=20080429&Category=FREE&ArtNo=508168468&Ref=AR&Profile=1023&maxw=350 http://www.autoweek.com/graphics/zoom1.gif

GM is cutting back production of big trucks such as the Chevrolet Silverado.

By DAVE GUILFORD, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

General Motors on Monday moved to cut full-size truck production in North America by 138,000 units for the remainder of the year.

GM will take out about 88,000 units of full-size pickup production and 50,000 units of full-size SUV production, the automaker said in a press release.

GM said that it is eliminating one shift of production at its full-size pickup truck assembly plants in Pontiac, Michigan; Flint, Michigan; and Oshawa, Ontario; and its full-size sport/utility vehicle assembly plant in Janesville, Wisconsin.

The Pontiac and Flint pickup plants already are idled because of a parts shortage stemming from the UAW's strike at American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. The Janesville plant is currently running one shift because of that strike. The Oshawa pickup truck plant has reopened temporarily with limited production.

The decisions were made to bring production capacity more in line with market demand, GM said in a press release.

Shift reductions will be effective on the following dates:

-- Flint Assembly (Heavy Duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) -- July 14

-- Janesville (Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Yukon, Yukon XL) -- July 14

-- Pontiac Assembly (Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra) -- July 14

-- Oshawa Truck (Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) -- Sept. 8

“With rising fuel prices, a softening economy, and a downward trend on current and future market demand for full-size trucks, a significant adjustment was needed to align our production with market realities,” said Troy Clarke, president of GM North America.

Clarke said that with the market shifting toward cars and crossovers, GM is seeing strong sales of the new Chevrolet Malibu, Cadillac CTS, Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G6, Chevrolet Impala, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia.

Clarke added that the company is continuing to explore options to increase car and crossover production.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

^^^ +1 I never understood why so many people want to pay 40-60k for a truck? Many of my co workers that live in the city drive big SUV's.

Then they mod them to try and make them fast and stop.

Sorta like making racing elephants- you can do it but why would you?

When gas hits $4 or $5/gallon 21 MPG isn't gonna cut it for all but the 5 percent of the market who don't need to care about fuel efficiency. Ford has a decent Fusion/Taurus product, and the 500, and Zephyr will have to do for those who prefer a tad more luxury..

Fusion and Taurus are two different models. The 500 was a brief departure from the name Taurus, which now has returned, but is NOT a Fusion.

Ford 500 and Mercury Montego were the full-size front drive sedans. They were not selling, so Ford RE-re-named them, BACK to Taurus and Sable, as before the re-design. The Taurus then got the Gillette Mach 3 grille treatment, and tackier rear tail lights, rather than the mesh grille and red tail lights it had as the 500. The Sable got the trademark waterfall grille, as well.

The Freestyle became the Taurus X, and still didn't sell, so I think it has finally been canned. People buy Outbacks if they want tall AWD wagons. They also are bringing forward the Ford Flex in that market segment.

The Fusion family is different, and mid-sized. The Mercury Milan is the variant, as well as the Lincoln MKZ, which for 1 year, was called the Zephyr. This mid-size line is closely related to the Mazda6.

The Lincoln variant of the Full-size Taurus/Sable, is just now coming to market, as the MKS, with distinctly different bodywork than the Ford and Mercury. The full size line is based on an expanded Mazda6 platform, as well are the Mazda CX7 and CX9, and various Ford crossover Utes, including the Flex and Edge models, IIRC.

Also, the MKT is coming up, as a lincoln variant to the Ford Flex, and MKX is the variant of the Ford Edge. Neither is slated for a Mercury variant.

There is also rumors of the new RWD global platform spawning two new RWD sedans, as well as possibly underpinning the next generation of Mustang. The Ford Interceptor, and the Lincoln MKR. (and I think Ford BADLY needs to make that a new Mercury Marauder and Cougar/Eliminator sedan and coupe pairing.)

The Ford interceptor is the logical candidate to replace the outgoing 30 year old Panther platform, as a RWD full-sizer. With a name like Interceptor, it is almost a given that they are planning to offer it as a fleet vehicle. They are also considering importing a Minivan/MiniUte vehicle (Transit is the name, IIRC) from Ford of Europe to serve as a delivery vehicle, and as taxi cabs, etc.

So much re-badging, it is no wonder it is confusing when they change the names from year to year, as well.

Everybody else is going back to RWD sedans while Ford thinks renaming their v6 family sedan will make it sell better. The 500/Tarus is a fine car in the generic soccer mom sense. Its v6 makes more power than the v8 they were willing to put into the Panther line (even though their 3-valve 300hp v8 & 5spd automatic could have been installed years ago). It's Ford's fault for not giving the Panther a real redesign since 1979; their cheapness killed the car moreso than any market forces. They started de-contenting them in 2003 to wring even more profit out of them. In the end, the public simply refused to keep buying a 1979 car with a 1998 body here in 2008.

GM is switching to RWD v8 sedans. Dodge realized the need several years ago and was able to make 3 vehicles using the same basic powertrain. Even Hyundai will offer a 375hp RWD v8 sedan in a few months with options that compare closer to a Lexus than other cars in the $30k arena. How good does their Lincoln MKJKELRAdfasfjk (insert any ridiculous 3-letter moniker here) look now?

Everybody else is going back to RWD sedans while Ford thinks renaming their v6 family sedan will make it sell better. The 500/Tarus is a fine car in the generic soccer mom sense. Its v6 makes more power than the v8 they were willing to put into the Panther line (even though their 3-valve 300hp v8 & 5spd automatic could have been installed years ago). It's Ford's fault for not giving the Panther a real redesign since 1979; their cheapness killed the car moreso than any market forces. They started de-contenting them in 2003 to wring even more profit out of them. In the end, the public simply refused to keep buying a 1979 car with a 1998 body here in 2008.

GM is switching to RWD v8 sedans. Dodge realized the need several years ago and was able to make 3 vehicles using the same basic powertrain. Even Hyundai will offer a 375hp RWD v8 sedan in a few months with options that compare closer to a Lexus than other cars in the $30k arena. How good does their Lincoln MKJKELRAdfasfjk (insert any ridiculous 3-letter moniker here) look now?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am curious about this new Hyundai Genesis....

Really am...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived