LegacyGT.com

VA emissions and cobb ap

jinhao

don't jump down my throat as I'm pretty much a noob to everything subaru. help me out with these questoins please!

1. if you were to flash the ECU using cobb ap, it gets rid of any check engine light you wish?

2. i remember reading that the "hex" (whatever they're referring to) is different when flashed. so the dealer would know the car has been flashed. If I were to use the AP, could I flash to stock code before taking it to the dealer?

3. in VA, they use OBDII emissions testing and just recently can tell if what you're trying to run an emissions test on another vehicle. will a cobb ap effect any of that? also, will a cobb ap flash pass this test?

I come from a car community where we don't have a large following so I have just "dealt" with a CEL all the time. now when emissions comes around, and hopefully with a LGT, I don't want to deal with emissions and CELs

1) There's a handful of codes it's preprogrammed to get rid of. To do custom ones will require Street Tuner software or a ProTune.

2) Unmarrying it should take it back to stock code.

3) I don't quite understand the question, but OBDII testing cannot detect the AP and it will pass with the code in place. If you're talking about VIN verification, the AP will allow the test to properly get the VIN from your vehicle.

1. if you were to flash the ECU using cobb ap, it gets rid of any check engine light you wish?

No, not "any," but just those which are associated with the "Stage I" and/or "Stage II" hardware, and how they affect certain aspects of the emissions programming.

Also, while the AP can and will clear many codes, it's not a code-reader by itself, and will neither be able to clear nor read all codes, and hence should not be used as a first-line diagnostic device.

Your AP cable, however, can be hooked-up to your computer (may need an adaptor, depending on your laptop's configuration), and you can then run ecuExplorer, a free datalogging software available from Tari Racing, which will function also as a code-reader. :)

2. i remember reading that the "hex" (whatever they're referring to) is different when flashed. so the dealer would know the car has been flashed. If I were to use the AP, could I flash to stock code before taking it to the dealer?

Currently unknown, with SSM 3 stepping up to the plate.

With SSM 2 (current), it was reported by a fellow brother of excellent repute here on LGT.com that the dealership will not be able to detect AP reflashes when the AP has been unmarried.

You pay to play. ;)

3. in VA, they use OBDII emissions testing and just recently can tell if what you're trying to run an emissions test on another vehicle. will a cobb ap effect any of that? also, will a cobb ap flash pass this test?

This should not be a problem. :)

Whether or not your hardware-modified vehicle will pass a visual inspection, though, well....that's dependent on how knowledgeable your technician happens to be as well as how "camouflaged" your hardware appears.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

typically there is no visual, i've used only own old cars that had to go on rollers :)

pay to play ur absolutely correct, but i wasn't planning on going all out this time around.. just a stage 1 was the plan but i didnt' wanna have no warranty at all b/c of it

the AP keeps the CEL's from displaying on your dash, but the scanner can still see them. Best thing to do is unmarry the AP and run the car for awhile before inspection if you are at all concerned.

My car just passed emissions with a catless UP installed and no AP present.

the AP keeps the CEL's from displaying on your dash, but the scanner can still see them.

Damn!

I was unaware of this - I thought that it prevented the CEL from "reporting?"

Damn good to know - corrected for the future! Thanks, PGT!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Damn :eek: , like I said, good to know! Thanks again, PGT!

yes -- i may give Cobb a call to get the details on this.. becuase I thought i might have a chance passing inspections as it was, but looks like i might be going back to stock here in the next month for a week or two.

Doesn't the AP have a option to clear CEL's couldn't you just do that right before going in to get tested? I have to get my car inspected for emissions this month and have to figure out what I will need to do as well.

Damn emissions, so we have the obdii and the visual inspection still. I don't know if this is rumor but i heard that they were doing away with the visual eventually? I thought i read somewhere that as long you swap the DP and flash to stage one you should be good (assuming your only stage 2).

Damn emissions, so we have the obdii and the visual inspection still. I don't know if this is rumor but i heard that they were doing away with the visual eventually? I thought i read somewhere that as long you swap the DP and flash to stage one you should be good (assuming your only stage 2).

stage 1 shouldnt through any emessions related cels (or any cels at all, for that matter) --- so yes, you would be fine if you swap out the stage 2 stuff

1. the AP will get rid of any light referring to the rear o2 sensor and the EGT sensor in the up pipe. I mean completely get rid of it, not just not displying the light on the dash.

2. dealers cannot easily detect an AP flash, trust me on this. http://legacygt.com/forums/warranty-issues-problems/37498-subaru-select-monitor-3-test-accessport-finally.html

3. cobb ap will not interfere with the obd2 scanner they use for emissions. All the emission obd2 check does is see if all your monitors are ready and that ther are no codes in the system. AS LON AS YOU DONT HAVE ANY CELS AND HAVE ALL YOUR MONITORS READY YOU WILL PASS.

I did an obd2 check a while ago and i passed with flying colors even though i have a tdc stage 2 tune with no cats.

Now all you have to do is pass the visual insection if ther is one.:D

Well I just got back from the inspection station. No problems with emissions. I have a catless uppipe and downpipe and running Cobb Stage 2. So there you have it.

Although I almost got rejected for my safety inspection because a stupid fog light was out, a piaa plasma yellow no less. I knew it had been out for awhile, but they are expensive to replace. The guy said replace it and just show him tomorrow and he will be cool with it, even though he passed me already. So ill take the 20 minutes and just throw the stockers back in for now.

Well I just got back from the inspection station. No problems with emissions. I have a catless uppipe and downpipe and running Cobb Stage 2. So there you have it.

Although I almost got rejected for my safety inspection because a stupid fog light was out, a piaa plasma yellow no less. I knew it had been out for awhile, but they are expensive to replace. The guy said replace it and just show him tomorrow and he will be cool with it, even though he passed me already. So ill take the 20 minutes and just throw the stockers back in for now.

What station did you go to?

I wouldn't think a blown fog-light could cause you to get a rejection. In my opinion fog lights are an "option". Not a required safety feature, like turn signals, horn, reverse lights ect. It's your choice if you even want to turn them on, or have them on your car for that matter. Strange.

- The Mortgage Man

did they just do an OBD scan?

Yeah I thought iread somewhere VA was going straight to the OBD scan and eventually phasing out the visual? I would like to know the answer to this also.

Yep it was just a obdII scan, they plug in the computer it takes a minute sending data, then it sends the data to the dmv, then it outputs on the screen if you passed. all checks in VA should be like this now. The sunoco on 50 right by the toyota dealership and near 123 is the best place I think to go.

Archived