LegacyGT.com

WRX Owner thinking about LGT

Sk8erOrd

So my warranty is almost up on my '04 WRX, and I'm debating what I want to do. If I'm going to pony up the cash for anything (extended warranty or downpayment), I'd rather it be the downpayment and get into something new.

So, I'm debating between an STI and a '07 LGT spec.B. I like that the new spec.B is a 6MT, and I like my creature comforts (I have the premium packager on my '04). When I read that R&T got a 5.1 0-60 on an '06 spec.B, it got my attention. If the pricing remains the same on the '07's as the '06 spec.B, that puts it around the price of a base STI. No doubt the STI limited will be out of my price range.

I'm definitely attracted to the lower profile car (less attention from cops), and a more comfortable. What am I sacrificing going this route vs. my car and vs. an STI? I'm only at stage 1 on my WRX, so I'm guessing a stock spec.B vs. my car is probably very little difference performance wise. Will I lose handling? Stopping power? I like canyons, so it needs to grip well, part of the reason I'm considering the spec.B - upgraded suspension. I'm gaining, over my WRX, leather and navigation (and mp3/wma support).

Versus the STI, I'm losing power, handling, braking?

Thoughts? Will stage 2 put me close to STI base performance? I drove an STI for a weekend a few months ago - that thing is a beast, I liked it. But I commute alot, and so you see my dilema. Thoughts?

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

When I bought my GTO (selling for LGT now) I was looking at STI's too. I have a fairly long commute myself, 45 minutes one way. For me, the STI was just too rough riding for long drives. Plus the STI had a lot of interior noise at cruising speeds. I had an 03 WRX (all stock) for a year too, but I can't compare it to the LGT. However, after test driving a LGT with automatic, I plan on going to stage 2 and upgraded street break pads as soon as I buy one.

Manual is a must, I hate auto trannies. Thankfully, the spec.B only comes with the 6MT. :)

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Manual is a must, I hate auto trannies. Thankfully, the spec.B only comes with the 6MT. :)

Yep.... I'm getting old. It's official now.

I'm surprised more Legacy GT owners haven't chimed in on this one. Maybe they don't hang out on the board until they are at work, not working. :)

ProTUNE/StreetTUNE'd "Stage II" (or similar with ECUTek) will get you very close to stock STi/STI power levels, if not slightly over (which is actually more commonly seen).

Handling - including body composure - though, will need some help, even with the SpecB. There are many threads detailing suspension modifications to the LGT, SpecB's included, and with a few upgrades, I'm sure you can end up with the right handling/comfort compromise for you. :)

Stopping power also pales in comparison to that of the STi/STI. Brake upgrades are available - more than likely, a more aggressive set of pads, better fluid, and some S/S lines will satisfy you, but if you're aggressive on the switchbacks and desire a bit more fade resistance, there are plenty of "big-brake kits" around, including an '04 STi-swap, and in several cases, if you even decided to go with a non-SpecB, some of these kits will even fit under the "standard" LGT's 17-inch wheels.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I recently bought a used 05 lgt ltd 5speed. While I was paring down my short list, I drove a wrx, and sti, an evo, a gto, and finally the lgt. I wanted a gto, as it was the only "American" car that I've ever truely enjoyed driving/riding in.

The LGT won, and I've not a single regret. Quiet, comfy, decent ride, great commuter, and responds well to simple mods.

I traded in my '04 WRX wagon for a '05 LGT5mt ltd wagon and I love it. The only thing that bothered me way the stuff I was giving up for the WRX. I never had a subaru before. I put up with the crappy radio(it's much better in the LGT), the road noise, when you run over gravel hearing the rocks hit the bottom of the car(just makes the car seem cheap), and really notchy shifter. I thought that was the price for speed. Then you get into the LTG it's much more refined. It's smooth, quiet, and faster. But, it's alittle soft in the turns(something the my Whiteline F&R adj. swaybar easily fixed). I get more positive comment about my car then my WRX. It's still a great car after 6 months. I think they really look nice when you add a few things. My old car and new car. I really like wagons :icon_bigg

DSCF0002.JPG.d0092b8e8316206e698ce4d1ad9773f4.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG.efe3c185712efd5f9207f49cf3c53d79.JPG

143326(1).thumb.JPG.e8e682542ddb67e2f6e522fae4421b14.JPG

143602(1).thumb.JPG.349abcfcaebc7de010edfc5e2587f8d0.JPG

140057(1).thumb.JPG.2050edaa4e195b66b02b397473060f7f.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I went from an 03 Rex to a 06 LGT. I wouldn't look back! Not only is it alot more luxurious, it is a ton better on insurance. I was paying 800 bucks a year for my WRX and I only pay 600 a year for my LGT. It's faster, more room, and looks better (my opinion.) I don't think you can go wrong with a LGT.

Sounds like we were in the same situation Sk8erOrd. I had an 05' WRX and loved it. But ~90% of my driving was cruising the highway and stuck in stop and go traffic. I was getting sick of having no torque down low and no pull from 5th gear on the highway. WRX is a great car, but it just didn't match the driving that I did.

I was thinking about replacing the WRX with and Sti, Legacy GT or Evo. I wanted more power basically. Well, the STI and Evo and not good daily driver cars. They need to be driven hard to be enjoyed. I was also looking to get something low-key.........no Fast & Furious for me.

So I ended up buying an 06' SpecB. I like the color combo of the 06' better than the '07. I missed my WRX for about 1 week and now I couldn't be happier. Lots more low end torque, pulls good from 5th gear on the expressway and overall it's just a classier car. And the best part is that no one knows what kind of car it is. Priceless!!!!!!!

Traded my '04 WRX for an '06 spec B a little over a week ago.

The LGT is not nearly as fun to drive as the WRX (100% stock), but then the LGT is much more comfortable to drive. In the WRX I always wanted to go fast, something about the car just did that. I can refrain myself a little better in the LGT. The LGT is a much more refined car, not nearly as 'noticable' as the WRX and my girlfriend now thinks I have a real car.

One of the first things I noticed about the LGT was the handling, not nearly as good in the twisties as the WRX, but then a hell of a lot better than my '96 Outback. The more I drive it, the better it seems to handle. Have to get used to the additional weight and size. The acceleration seems much smoother, especially in 2 and 3 gears.

Overall I am very pleased with the LGT and would not want to go back to the WRX.

Tom

Archived