LegacyGT.com

Leaking oil after dealer service visit

I decided to take my car in to the dealer this morning to get my tires rotated and get an oil change before my long trip I'm going on early Monday morning. All goes well - tires rotated, brakes inspected, tire pressures adjusted, oil changed, fluids topped off. I head home and park it in my driveway and start working on the pool in my yard.

A few hours later I come out front to move it out of the driveway so my mom can park and WTF!!!!! There is a 1 foot round oil puddle in the driveway. I call the dealership - they're gone for the weekend now. I hose as much out of the driveway as I can, but it leaves a nasty mark in the new driveway.

I pull the car out in the street and put a newspaper under it to see how much oil I am losing - so far I have a 2 inch thick round spot on the newspaper.

I'm pretty pissed off now. I have to waste my time and gas to drive all the way back to the dealership to get it fixed and refilled with oil again.

For all the good drives I had with this car - there are an equal amount of headaches.

Very unhappy right now.

My sister had that happen with her Forrester and the dealer. They didn't tighten the oil filter tight enough.

I change my own oil because I have to do it once a month because of the number of miles I put in.

wow that sucks, raise hell and get some free shyte!

Yeah right - free stuff - ha!!!!

I suggested free heavy duty floor mats because of all the trouble they gave me when I got the car and they flat out said no way and wanted $80 for them. The problem I had that time was I had expired temp plates for well over 2 weeks and they did absolutely nothing to get the paperwork in, that is until I complained enough to SOA and they stepped in and then it done.

The dealership experience with Subaru has been an absolute PITA since day one - almost two years ago.

Can you tell where it's coming from? (Drain bolt or filter). I wouldn't even bother bringing it back, crawl under and tighten them up. They'll probably mess something else up. Then just re-fill as necessary. Dealers suck.
- The Mortgage Man

1. Drive up some 2x4's and see if you can squeeze yourself in there to look.
  2. Take a digital camera and just hold it under there and start taking pictures, then view them yourself to see if you can see the leak that way.

The drain plug is on the left side of the car. The filter is dead center though...sounds more like the filter to me. U should be able to undo the filter door on the skid plate and take a look without ramps.
- The Mortgage Man

With the plastic shields all around, the leak will "travel" so it may be difficult to find from just pinpointing where the drips hit the ground. The oil filter has an access panel that's pretty easy to get to from the front.

The drain plug is visible without moving anything. You can check that easily enough with a paper towel--just wipe around the drain plug and see if there's any fresh oil.

Dealers often suck on the simple stuff. Even the best dealerships just put their newbie mechanics on oil changes. Best to do it yourself from now on.

With the plastic shields all around, the leak will "travel" so it may be difficult to find from just pinpointing where the drips hit the ground. The oil filter has an access panel that's pretty easy to get to from the front.

+1 to this and the prev suggestions.

this happened to me. and the oil did not drip from directly under the filter thanks to the splash guards but it WAS a faulty filter

hopefully its that simple

Definitely try to pinpoint where the oil is coming from. The drain plug is easy enough to tell if it is dripping, as it just drips straight down from the plug. The oil filter is probably the culprit here, as it can be a little tricky to tell if you tightened it enough, since by the time you get to putting it in, you could have oil on your hands, so it will slip when you try to tighten it.

Next time, just invest in some ramps or 2x4s and do it yourself. I did mine yesterday, and it takes all of 30 minutes to do...and most of that time is waiting for the oil to drip out.

My sister had that happen with her Forrester and the dealer. They didn't tighten the oil filter tight enough.

I change my own oil because I have to do it once a month because of the number of miles I put in.

+1 Almost certainly the oil filter.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Wierd thing this evening: I was parked at the movies for a few hours and when I backed out, I got out and took close look to see if anything dripped on the pavement and nothing was there. *shrug*

Excellent. That means the leak has been resolved. Drive it like you stole it.

Excellent. That means the leak has been resolved. Drive it like you stole it.

Engines do NOT heal.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Probably the filter, while the drain plug was loose enough to unscrew by hand, - it was not dripping from there :eek:

Tomorrow I get to waste at least an hour and a half going to the dealer to resolve this, while it cuts into my vacation. SOBing Mother Effers!!!!!

At least I'm packed any ready to hit the road afterwards.

Btw... I have so far leaked out a little more than 1/4 of my oil.

Archived