LegacyGT.com

creaking, clunking sound from front suspension

hjkim12

Howdy all. Ive had these ksports in for a couple months now, really great, but recently the passanger side fronts have been making this clunking, creaking (kinda like rubbing a metal rod over the threaded part of a bolt) sound coming from This only happens when i am making a right turn. Basically when there is less load on it, it seems to do it. Ive checked the links, and all the suspension bolts and they all look solid. So i am completely perplexed as to where it is coming from. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have the same issue on one of my JDM GT Bilstien struts, although mine only creaks when going over stuff like speed bumps slowly. I think its just the spring rubbing the strut because the rubber piece is kind of out of place. I just get some silicone spay and spray it all around there. Usually helps for a little while.

Now you are the third person with creaking and clunking Ksports including myself. On the bright side, I got rid of the noise on one side. Now it's on my passenger front side as well. I'm pretty sure you have set the preload correctly, torqued the top hat nut to spec, cleaned/lubed the pillow ball, got an alignment, and locked all the lockrings...right?
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Now you are the third person with creaking and clunking Ksports including myself. On the bright side, I got rid of the noise on one side. Now it's on my passenger front side as well. I'm pretty sure you have set the preload correctly, torqued the top hat nut to spec, cleaned/lubed the pillow ball, got an alignment, and locked all the lockrings...right?

I have not torqued the top hat, and cleaned/lubed the pillow ball. What am I supposed the torque the top hat nut too?

thanks

Ive actually done a search, i have not been able to find a thread dealing with my particular problem. Mine is specific to right turns on the passanger side. If i missed something, please enlighten me..i would appreciate it.

thanks

I'm having the same problem that you are having on the passenger side. I have a few things that I want to try this weekend to see if they help. I will keep you posted.

*UPDATE*.......

After extensive observation and alot of trial and error, I believe that I have narrowed down the cause of mine and perhaps your problem. Before I continue, do this test for me. Pop the hood and grab a box wrench. Next try to turn the top nut for the struts clockwise. Do this for both sides even though it's only one side at fault. Do not use anything to jam the nut but just see if you can freely turn the top nut. I bet the side that is popping is the side that moves fairly free. This is exactly what I observed with mines. The thing is , it's not suppose to do that. That's what that rubber spacer is for on the upper spring perch. More that likely it's all dry and stiff like mines. So now to a POSSIBLE but not guaranteed solution. Find some thin double sided tape or if you have patience use GOOP from the hardware or hobby shop. Place the double sided tape between the spring and the rubber spacer for the upper spring perch. Next place some between the top of the rubber spacer and the upper spring perch. That makes a nice sandwich. Now let the tape cure for a bit. Also while you have the wheel off, make sure your preload is set correctly. I would do about 49 lbs in the front (i.e. 1kg/mm = 56 lbs/inch). The springs in the front are about 7" long uncompressed. Let me and the community know if it works.

Ian F.

Archived