LegacyGT.com

Exhaust options for wagons?

FroMan

I've had my SP2 on for about 1 month---- I don't think it is getting quieter, but I

think it sounds SWEET:icon_mrgr I was thinking about painting the cans black and maybe going w/ different tips, but the thing is a frigg'n work of art---- the welds are some of the best I've seen!! The tips are HHHHUGE but so are the cut-outs in the bumper!!

i'm pretty sure the sedan version is out now.

I'd get a Greddy SP2 if I had a wagon...hell, I'd like one for my sedan. I don't understand why they only offer a wagon fitment.

EDIT: 666th Post:icon_evilhttp://www.prieteni.com/layout/images/emoticons/devil.gif

Go with the SP2 & weld a resonator in the mid pipe.

Has anyone done this? I would love to see a picture of it. Looking at the stock exhaust, it looks like the resonator is flat. Most of the aftermarket straight resonators that I have seen are a tube within a tube. Would the resonator stick too low below the car?

I've heard leaving the stock mufflers when going with an aftermarket (more open exhaust) makes for a fairly quiet setup. Yes, the stock tips flow a bit less but it wouldn't register on a butt dyno. I think patagoniaGT has this set up on his wagon maybe he'll chime in here.

That's what I did. Lachute res/Y, stock mufflers painted black and Borla tips. Sound and looks wise it's great. The Borla tips actually increased the volume slightly, but in a good way. There are suggestions, but no hard evidence, that going this route gets you most of the power gains of a full CBE without the noise. Looking forward to dyno proof one way or the other.

i'm pretty sure the sedan version is out now.

^ Still not yet, as of just a couple of week ago, several Forum members with sedans have been trying to track them down, with money-in-hand, for immediate purchase, and came up empty through all vendors they pursued. :(:confused:

---

RE: brother mickeyd2005's concern of resonator clearance -

Clearance will not be a problem.....

I'm inclined to agree.

I have a huge Magnaflow resonator in my 3" diameter "mid-section," and it's definitely not the first nor lowest part of the exhaust I see when I bend down below the vehicle.

I've dragged my canisters (rather huge Blitz NurSpec Touring canisters - and also keep in mind that I'm dropped on iONs), but never the pipes.

---

hal.....have you seen the inside of the stock cans? They are def a restriction.

Again, I'm inclined to agree from having seen the "dissection" posts as well as various quantitative posts by Vendors marketing simple axle-back canisters - but at the same time, there's also conflicting quantitative evidence provided by "pipe" Vendors to say that the largest restriction (post-cats) is the mid/Y-section... This has always confused the hell out of me, and I've yet to see any conclusive third-party testing done to verify either claim. Therefore:

I say just get rid of both! :D

---

Oh, and for you wagon guys.... If you like big canisters with big tips, the Blitz NurSpec Touring should be an acceptable alternative if you want something that doesn't produce too much noise. However, note two things:

(1) I'm pretty sure it's only available for sedan fitment, and will fall radically short of your exhaust cut-outs, leaving soot.

and

(2) If you combine it with any type of upstream piping change in the "mid/Y" sections, I think that you WILL get a bit of highway drone, regardless of if you get a resonator welded-in. While I do not feel that my setup "drones" in my sedan, I know that my wife does feel it is a bit more noise than she would "prefer" (although she feels it to be liveable - and even less noisy, overall, than that of her *stock* '05 WRX sedan's highway noise-isolation).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived