LegacyGT.com

Thinking about 00'-04' Legacy GT LTD

sweetz86

I currently own a Nissan 300ZX. I am looking for another car. I considered a VW Jetta, but reliability is too iffy. I also like the 00'-04' Legacys a lot. I hear that Subies are pretty reliable. I have also heard that maintenance is very costly. Could anyone possibly give me a ball park estimate of yearly maintenance/ repair cost. I am a college student so I do not want to buy something that is maintenance intensive. I am slo fairly handy as far as cars go. Are the Legacys hard to work on? Any help is appreciated!:icon_mrgr

Subaru major maintenance intervals are every 30,000 miles and involve:

1. Complete filter change out (air, fuel, oil)
  2. Oil drain, refill
  3. Change the spark plugs (Use the cheap OEM NGK Coppers only - nothing else works as well)
  4. Inspect brakes
  5. and a few other fluid level checks/inspections
  6. Coolant drain, refill (If you don't know Subarus, don't try this at home)
  7. Brake flush (standard drain, refill, bleed)

Otherwise, it's just change the oil/filter every 3,000 miles and maintain proper trim on the fluids and tire pressures.

If you can do steps 1-5 yourself, the parts will cost you a ~$60.00 for genuine OEM Subaru parts. Check out the tune-up kit prices at www.1stsubaruparts.com. The 3rd Gen Legacys are easy to work on and the SOHC heads make it really easy to change the plugs.

Steps 6 and 7 at the dealer should run you about $100.00. If you have the dealer do all of the required maintenance, you're looking at $350-$400 on the 3rd Gen Legacys.

If you figure you'll only have to do this about every other year, you could save up money each month for your maintenance fund... yeah right :) ... and have it all paid for when it comes time to do it

Overall, I'd say that the inexpensive maintenance on my Subarus is one of the things I appreciate about the brand. That and their reliability day-in and day-out.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Keep your Z! :) Well it's an Z31 NA so maybe it's really not worth keeping. I had a '81 280ZX turbo when I was in college, I had to let her go and regreted it ever since. But then again I have a '94 twin turbo now so all is good.

What's your budget? Is reliability and maintaince cost your highest priority?

Yea, I want to keep my Z, Its so fun to drive and its rare. Thats why I like the Legacys, not everybody has one. Reliability and maintenance costs are not my priority, but I do not want to buy something I cannot afford to keep on the road or something that is going to be a constant headace. True, theres hondas and toyotas, but they are boring. I want something with some individuality!:lol:

Oh, and I'm looking to spend from $8.5k-12k, depending on the year. But it MUST be a GT LTD or 35th Anv

If you're looking for a GT LTD then you can probably strike a deal in the mid-$10K. To get a 2004 (35 Anniv), you're probably looking at Mid-$13-14K

SBT

Yea, I want to keep my Z, Its so fun to drive and its rare. Thats why I like the Legacys, not everybody has one. Reliability and maintenance costs are not my priority, but I do not want to buy something I cannot afford to keep on the road or something that is going to be a constant headace. True, theres hondas and toyotas, but they are boring. I want something with some individuality!:lol:

Oh, and I'm looking to spend from $8.5k-12k, depending on the year. But it MUST be a GT LTD or 35th Anv

I guess it just depends on where you live. Where I'm every other car is a Subaru Legacy... Anyway, as far as fun factor goes have you check out the '00-'01 Impreza 2.5RS? They have the same 2.5 L as the '00-'04 LGT but are ~500 lbs lighter. You can even get them as a coupe, which IMHO is a much better looking car.

I am the original owner of a 2002 Legacy GT Limited. It has a 5 sp trans and consistently gets 31 mpg burning 87 octane. (It's a non turbo but has all the speed I need) It currently has 120K miles on it and is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I have had no major repairs. I had the dealership do routine belts and water pump at 110K. I put in a my own new starter at around 80K and beyond routine maintance it been easy cost.

I read and heard things that the automatic tranny in the Legacys is garbage. I really don't have a trans preference, I'm fine with both. What is the life expectancy of a maintained trans in a Legacy?:confused:

search for the LLbean h-6 sedans

not many out there but they would be a lot better than the h-4

also it wont be cheap.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/1/13/194/758/34240949.194758489.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

IME, Subaru auto-boxes hang with the best of them up through about 400 WHP. After that, it becomes a wear item.

My Subaru master tech says that he's only ever taken one H6 apart for internal repairs and it was due to someone not checking/changing their oil. Yeah - they're reliable.

And it's not so much the HP but the torque across a broad, flat curve that makes the 3.0L H6 such a great engine. But, unfortunately, you can't get it in a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Subaru Legacy chassis unless you get it in the Outback versions.

SBT

Archived