LegacyGT.com

I just bought another car.

That's why I suggested Granny's speed shack. You said you wanted to do it for very little money. I like Mazda's rotary motors as well, but is this one running? How much would either a good rebuild, or a new engine cost? Especially compaired to the cost of a boneyard V8. Yes it will destroy the RX-7's inherent 50/50 goodness, yes it will add a bunch of weight, but it will have a reliable motor that parts can be found everywhere, and it will still have the RX-7's amazing chassis. The GrassRoots Motorsports yearly challenge has proven the potency of this combination on the Autocross course, and yes the dragstrip as well.

To swap in a working rotary will cost $300-800.

I don't see how I can even find an LS1 for under $2k, much less the cost of all the parts to put it in.

To swap in a working rotary will cost $300-800.

I don't see how I can even find an LS1 for under $2k, much less the cost of all the parts to put it in.

If you can swap in a *good* working rotary for less than $800, rock on!

Apperently you're missing the fact that there are more V8's out there than the LS1... You don't have to use an LS1, you could use the V8 from a 5.0 Mustang, or even the Nissan VQ30 V6. Did you even look at the site I posted? All the prices for all the parts, in kits even, are listed on the site. They are broken down by generation, engine swap type, and levels of swaps needed.

Here is a copy of the price list to swap a Chevy 4.3 V6 (another robust option) into your second gen car:

BASIC KITS...Just what you need to get your 4.3 V-6 engine & transmission into place.

Easy bolt-in installation. No cutting or welding required.

Just choose one below that fits your requirements...

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/t5banner.jpg Basic Kit Only- Includes...

Engine Cradle & spuds, Bolts,

Transmission Crossmember-

(choice of PG, T-350, T-400, 2004R, 700R4, T-5, T-56)

Installation instructions and wiring info

w/ small HEI distributor............................325.00

w/ large HEI distributor............................335.00

Basic Kit w/ rubber engine & transmission mounts

Package deal.....................................add 25.00

BASIC KIT w/ DRIVESHAFT

Special package deal pricing........................525.00

BASIC KIT PLUS for 4.3 V-6

Includes...

Basic kit, rubber engine & transmission mounts

Driveshaft, speedometer adapter gearbox

Temp sender adapter bushing,

Special package deal pricing.........................605.00

Deluxe Kits...Deluxe package pricing to save both time and money.

Just choose a Deluxe Kit below that fits your requirements...

DELUXE KIT (w/o AC or power steering)

includes...

Engine Cradle and Spuds

Engine & Transmission rubber mounts

Transmission Bracket of your choice

Aluminum Radiator and Brackets

Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses

LO-MOUNT Alternator Bracket (RX-7 alternator)

Temp. Sender Adapter Bushing

Speedometer Cable Adapter

Tachometer re-cal (includes return shipping)

New Driveshaft w/ slip yoke........................1205.00

DELUXE KIT (with AC and power steering)

includes the above plus...

Power steering pump bracket (Mazda pump/SBC V-8)

AC compressor Bracket (Mazda compressor/SBC V-8)

Condensor core re-location bracket set.............1355.00

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

I did look at those kits. The problem is that even if you get the deluxe kit, you'll still need an engine, transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and axles. I'll hold onto the link incase I decide to do something different down the line, but right now I want a rotary.

I've thought a Lotus 3.5 Twin-turbo V8 (From Esprit V8, which was designed to be useable and modular for any number of cars...) would be a good piston engine replacement for an RX, if someone wanted to go that way, but mostly I was thinking of a third gen.

A Lotus V8 would be hard to come by, and expensive. Rotary replacement is probably a much better option for what you want with your RX...

Rotary is probably good, and a nice one would make a great weekend racer engine. Rotaries seem like a really great option for that sort of occaisional use high-perf car, I am not sure that it does so well (fuel econ, oil consumption, longevity) for a daily driver everyday car, which the RX8 is kind of trying to be.

I've had the idea of building a single seat open-wheel car (Like a Ferrari 156 F1 car, or Maserati 250F, fifties-era racers...) with a rotary engine. Easier packaging, high power, high revs, and light weight. Great stuff for a race car.

• 6 months later...
I made some progress today. The car will now stay started during the accelerated warmup phase and then dies after that. (As opposed to dying after letting off the gas.) I'm pretty sure I have the cause identified, and I'll be going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up some sheet aluminum so I can fab some blockoff plates to plug some holes when I remove some unnecessary emissions crap. If I can talk the emissions guy into a 1 year exemption, then I can register it as historic next year.

Archived