LegacyGT.com

help with brake vibration!

lhsa

recently, my car shudders when i'm braking semi-hard around 75-80 mph. i feel it through the front end and the steering wheel. i'm thinking its probably warped rotors, not wheel balancing since it appears in connection with braking. does warped rotors sound right?

i have ~13K miles on it. if it is warped, should i have the dealer turn the rotors or should i just buy new rotors? should i use this as an opportunity to go with a big brake kit:icon_bigg must stop the temptation...

I had the same type of problem. The brakes pulsated when applied from 70-80mph. From what I researched the stock pads are shit and leave deposits on the rotors, causing the pulse. I took the car to my dealer, they resurfaced the rotors at no charge under warranty. I drove home and installed Bobcat pads. 5000 miles later and the pulse has not returned.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

I had the same type of problem. The brakes pulsated when applied from 70-80mph. From what I researched the stock pads are shit and leave deposits on the rotors, causing the pulse. I took the car to my dealer, they resurfaced the rotors at no charge under warranty. I drove home and installed Bobcat pads. 5000 miles later and the pulse has not returned.

I had shudder w stock pads too. 9000 miles on my Bobcats and no shudder yet.

I took my car in last week for the vibration problem when braking, and first of all my dealer said that resurfacing the rotors is not cover by the warranty only under 12000 miles, so i called SOA and they told me it was covered up to 36k.

I only have 20k so they ended up doing just the front rotors and they told me that it was a one time goodwill, and they would charge me next time.

The bad thing right now is that after i left, the vibration was still there, mostly in my brake pedal.

I think that they have to do the rear ones too, i called them back, and this saturday i have to go there.

I took my car in last week for the vibration problem when braking, and first of all my dealer said that resurfacing the rotors is not cover by the warranty only under 12000 miles, so i called SOA and they told me it was covered up to 36k.

I only have 20k so they ended up doing just the front rotors and they told me that it was a one time goodwill, and they would charge me next time.

The bad thing right now is that after i left, the vibration was still there, mostly in my brake pedal.

I think that they have to do the rear ones too, i called them back, and this saturday i have to go there.

That dealer is wrong, I just took mine in today for resurfacing, for the second time. I also confirmed with SOA that it's covered and that they will replace them if the dealership feels that further resurfacing is unsafe. If I have to take it in a third time, it may fall under the lemon law and I may just get a new Spec B :icon_wink .

Question: Just had mine resurfaced and Endless pads installed. When breaking lighlty, I get some vibration, but it goes away when I brake harder. Is this typical?

How light is the vibration you ask? Well, if I grip the steering wheel firmly with 2 hands and brake lightly, you can't really see it. One hand lightly you do. Again, once I brake harder, there is no vibration.

(P.S. Yes I did seat them.)

Your rotors are warped and it's because of shitty stock pads. I had bad brakes from day 1. It was the same problem you have. I had the rotors turned 3 times,after the 3rd time I went with Bobcats and SS lines and it hasn't come back after 5,000 miles. Had bad breaks for 10,000 miles. I think the stock rotors are fine for every day driving.

Denial is your best friend

i tried braking really hard a few times at ~80 to scrub off the rotors. they feel a little better, but i think i'll have to take it into the stealership. in my unfortunate case, its Bill Kolb, who is well known to be an evil dealer. might have to go elsewhere to get the job done right.

Remember that even though the pulsation started as a result of pad deposits, if you don't immediately correct it by scrubbing, the deposits will form localized hot spots. What this does is change the composition of the rotor in those areas, effectively carburizing or hardening it. And even after getting a resurface, it WILL come back, as the molecular change has gone much deeper than any resurfacing could remove...

At that point, if the dealer will not replace them, just buy new oem rotor's, they aren't that expensive, and also be sure and buy quality pads. It will be money well spent....

Thanks for the info everyone.

I had my rotors resurfaced recently under warranty for this very same reason, but the shudder is coming back (of course) and like everyone has said -the stock pads are teh suck.

So I am thinking of going with Cobb pads unless anyone can tell me better/cheaper alternatives and where to order them from?

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I tried resurfacing with new SS-M pads but still had vibration problems. Dealer replaced rotors under warrantee and now it's smooth as silk (except under 10 mph--apparently SS-Ms take a while to bed in, possibly a few hundred miles). Great to have firm, vibrationless braking even at high speeds. Don't settle for less--brakes are critical.

P.S. Dusting is drastically reduced with the SS-Ms which is another benefit.

Archived