LegacyGT.com

General Questions for potential buyer

Hey all....

Tested out a 2001 Legacy GT, 5 speed (everythng but leather, but still nice)

Just a few questions, as I know every car is different, and I'm coming from a '96 saturn 5spd.

a) Is it normal for the shifter to shake? (I only ask because other cars I've driving, the shifter stays pretty still when driving)

b) I think I may have heard a "knocking" noise shortly after the odd shift, once gas was applied. (it is possible they were just pot holes I was driving over causign the noise though?)

c) At 100km/h the RPM's were at about 25k in 5th gear. Most vehicles I've driven stay at around 20-21k RPM's at this speed in 5th.

d) The sunroof when closing... closes 1/2 way then stops, then you have to press the button forward again for it to close all the way.. is this normal?

e) The rear seats do not fold down.. only the center portion (which seems to have something busted off/missing from the inside, but I'm able to flip it down and push it out from the trunk... Does anyone know if it's possible to customize the interior to have 60/40 fold downs?

The vehicle itself seems a bit expensive for having 111,000 km's on it (15,000 canadian dollars... I was wondering if it shouldn't be closer to 12-13k) However all cars from this dealer come with a 6 month Powertrain warranty.

I've been told that I should drive a brand new Legacy from a dealer just to see what a new one drives like.

Thanks for anyone who's taken the time to read this lengthy msg :)

jg

Welcome, youve come to the right place.

A. My shifter giggles a little. So does the one in my dad's 330XI so I would think thats not a problem.

B. No comment

C. This engine tachs really high. This allows it to accelerate faster. And you will still get tremendous gas mileage. I cruise at 78 mph, 3500 RPMs and get 32 mpg. Now thats good engineering.

D. Yeah the sunroof is annoying like that. I hate it. But my friends volvo does that when opening too. Even more annoying.

E. Subaru changed the seats for that generation because supposedly fold down seats wasnt safe. But now they are, go figure. Im pretty sure that you could not retrofit them.

15000 canadian = 13357.48 U.S.

That does seem kinda high for not being a Limited model. 14000 candian would be more appropriate.

Well coming with some warranty at all might explain the extra cost. I doubt that you would need the warranty though.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Basically I was really hoping for fold-downs in the rear to accomodate for certain cargo situations (ie: bikes, gear, etc...)

Wondering if it'd be that hard to install a roof rack (for either cargo or even a roof rack for bikes)

Hopefully going to test out a '05 Legacy, as well as possibly a '95 one just for kicks at the local Subaru dealer.

Another quick question... I hadn't had too much time on the Highway with it, but does the Legacy have nice 'passing power'. ie: passing cars doing 60mph or so.

thx,

jg

a) Is it normal for the shifter to shake? (I only ask because other cars I've driving, the shifter stays pretty still when driving)

I've found this to be vehicle-dependent. Some will transmit a bit more NVH into the cabin. I can't comment on the 2001, but it's definitely normal on the 05+ LGTs.

b) I think I may have heard a "knocking" noise shortly after the odd shift, once gas was applied. (it is possible they were just pot holes I was driving over causign the noise though?)

Were you accelerating hard? It could just be the "normal" drivetrain sound. A slight modification of your shift technique, particularly in the lower gears, should address this problem. Search for "Unabomber's FAQ" on Nabisco, and you'll find that it's a great resource all-around - there's a specific sub-section that addresses this very issue. :)

c) At 100km/h the RPM's were at about 25k in 5th gear. Most vehicles I've driven stay at around 20-21k RPM's at this speed in 5th.

Sounds normal for this vehicle's gearing, if I remember correctly.

d) The sunroof when closing... closes 1/2 way then stops, then you have to press the button forward again for it to close all the way.. is this normal?

Depends on the vehicle, but this is typically a "safety feature" - it makes you hit the button twice so you don't accidentally close the roof on, say, your passenger's hand or neck. :lol: Normal on '05+ LGTs...can't say on yours, but from brother 99's reply, this seems the case on most late-generation LGTs.

I've been told that I should drive a brand new Legacy from a dealer just to see what a new one drives like.

Definitely distinctly different flavors - if you can afford the '05+, you may wish a test drive.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Another quick question... I hadn't had too much time on the Highway with it, but does the Legacy have nice 'passing power'. ie: passing cars doing 60mph or so.

Absolutely. An '01 will have the 2.5 Liter (a '95 will not) The Naturally Aspirated 2.5L has a little more oooomph than your typical 4 cylinder. Camry, Accord, Taurus, you name it range from 145 to 160 hp. Get a drop in K & N air filter like me and youll have about 170 and 167 lbs of torque. Pretty sweet from a flat four.

I have no problem passing my friend's 200hp Legend. We frequently make the drive from school in convoy. 4 hours of highway driving each way and ive never been ashamed of having a 4 bangor. :icon_mrgr

If the vehicle is revving up to 25k RPMs, I'd consider that a major problem since the redline is something like 6.5k. ;)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Sorry about that... 2500 rpm... 'not' 25k as I said. hahah.

At any rate.. took an '02 out for a spin tonight, and got about the same readings.

I guess I'm gonna have to consider a Wagon, as it doesn't look like the Legacy has any support as far as roof racks are concerned.

Just like to thank everyone for there feedback though, it's be greatly appreciated and helpful!

jg

About the shifter shaking, in the imprezza and forester owners manuals it says vibration is normal and you should not drive with your hand resting on the shifter preventing its natural vibration as it could damage the transmission. I believe I had read this on nasioc before as well.

The sunroof operation is normal. I had a 2000 wagon and the larger back portion behaved like that too - so I assume the sedan has the same funcitonality. It is a bit annoying.

Hey all....

Tested out a 2001 Legacy GT, 5 speed (everythng but leather, but still nice)

Just a few questions, as I know every car is different, and I'm coming from a '96 saturn 5spd.

a) Is it normal for the shifter to shake? (I only ask because other cars I've driving, the shifter stays pretty still when driving) - Yes, but you can get shifter bushings that will tighten this up.

b) I think I may have heard a "knocking" noise shortly after the odd shift, once gas was applied. (it is possible they were just pot holes I was driving over causign the noise though?) - Poor gasoline? Poorly tuned? Grounding mod done? Was the noise from the steering column or from the engine? If from the steering column, it's the steering column knuckle TSB issue

c) At 100km/h the RPM's were at about 25k in 5th gear. Most vehicles I've driven stay at around 20-21k RPM's at this speed in 5th. - My 98 GT 5MT maintains about 2.1K at 62mph (converted from 100km/h) and ~ 3.1K at 80mph

d) The sunroof when closing... closes 1/2 way then stops, then you have to press the button forward again for it to close all the way.. is this normal? - Yes - safety feature.

e) The rear seats do not fold down.. only the center portion (which seems to have something busted off/missing from the inside, but I'm able to flip it down and push it out from the trunk... Does anyone know if it's possible to customize the interior to have 60/40 fold downs? - 3rd Gen Legacys (USDM MY2000-2004) lost the ability to fold down their rear sedan seats when this model was redesigned. Subaru considered it a safety design feature, part of their three ring-within-a-ring body structual rigidity improvment which made the rear seats part of the body structure. The 2007 Legacy GT and Spec B will regain this feature.

The vehicle itself seems a bit expensive for having 111,000 km's on it (15,000 canadian dollars... I was wondering if it shouldn't be closer to 12-13k) However all cars from this dealer come with a 6 month Powertrain warranty. - Seems very high priced to me - would expect in the $12-13K CDN price WITH a warranty.

I've been told that I should drive a brand new Legacy from a dealer just to see what a new one drives like. Couldn't agree more

Thanks for anyone who's taken the time to read this lengthy msg :)

jg

HTH - SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

About the shifter shaking, in the imprezza and forester owners manuals it says vibration is normal and you should not drive with your hand resting on the shifter preventing its natural vibration as it could damage the transmission. I believe I had read this on nasioc before as well.

Yup....I leave my hand their anyway. Force of habit.

I guess I'm gonna have to consider a Wagon, as it doesn't look like the Legacy has any support as far as roof racks are concerned.

jg

Here's a couple of links:

http://yakima.com/Consumer/Step1.aspx (I checked a 2001 Legacy Sedan)

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/default.asp (I checked a 2001 Legacy 4DR)

HTH

SBT

I just got some cross bars two days ago! In my case, for a canoe soon to be joined by a kayak or solo low-seat canoe.

OEM ones:

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/rack.jpg

That's the exact same setup I ordered with my car. I wasn't convinced that it was up-to-heavyduty-use, but other members told me about their experiences and so I put it to use. I must say it handles our Yakima Blacktop Pro 16 Cargo Box beautifully and I couldn't be more pleased with how well it works, and how easy it is to attach/unattach.

SBT

Archived