LegacyGT.com

bmw x3 vs obxt

How big are your dogs and how often do you take them with you? I just added the LGT Wagon separator (there is also one for the OBXT) and it is quick, easy and works well with the rear seats in the "up" position. With them down, you'll have to find something to "extend" the separator as it only comes down to slightly below the top of the rear seats.

My dog is a 25 lb Shiba Inu and he fits well and likes the rear compartment. If your dogs are larger, it might not be as comfortable, or if you just want to go across town/short distance kind of trips it would likely work well.

WRT choosing the OBXT or the X3. I'm sold on three things where Subaru is concerned (and this is after nearly 30 years of Subaru ownership):

1. Bullet-proof reliability - With even modest maintenance investment, the drivetrain will easily sustain you for at least 2-3 cycles through the odometer and likely more. Mechanical, electrical/electronic, fit/finish, all are designed from the ground up to be durable. Not sure where X3 fits on this continuum.
  2. Ease and cost of maintenance - Definitely a plus for Subaru. In 60K miles you'll spend about $1200 if you have all of the prescribed maintenance done at a Subaru dealership. Much of it you can do yourself so more like $700. Again, BMW service may be included in the purchase price but you're paying a premium "up-front" for it. If you're buying used, I'm not sure whether this is included or not.
  3. AWD performance - as good as it gets out of the box at this price point. The X3 non-symmetrical AWD relies on electronics to make its AWD work, plus it adds complexity and weight due to the the addition of an external center differential and a separate driveshaft to a left mounted front differential. Subaru's AWD is completely symmetrical with an incorporated center diff and center-mounted front and rear diffs.

Handling, I believe, will go to the OBXT as will ground-clearance, fuel economy and re-sale value (my 2001 Subaru Forester S, after nearly six years of ownership is still work nearly 60% of its original value). I don't believe the X3 would make that claim. The OBXT will feel nimble and tossable where the X3 will feel heavier and hunkered down.

Just a couple of quick thoughts

Let us know what you decide.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

how does something handle well and ride like crap

Both of them have very firm suspensions, great for carving corners but beats the crap out of you on any surface imperfections.

I thought about buying an FX35, after driving one a bit I knew it wasn't for me - it felt very similiar to my wife's G35 coupe. Fun on the back roads, gets old quick on the highway - I drive about 30k a year, easy choice.

I'd like the OBXT to be slightly better damped but considering mine spends most of it's time on an interstate it's ok.

how does something handle well and ride like crap

many reviews have been written about how harsh the ride is on the X3. The engineers got it all wrong.

Having driven a friend's X5 4.4i and his 540ia, I can say that the X5 holds it own in ride and handling. The X3 falls way short of the compromise BMW is famous for getting right

Guest *Jedimaster*
The X3 is OK, but a little on the "I'm bi-curious" side. Go with the XT if you wanna be serious.

many reviews have been written about how harsh the ride is on the X3. The engineers got it all wrong.

Having driven a friend's X 4.4i and his 540ia, I can say that the X5 holds it own in ride and handling. The X3 falls way short of the compromise BMW is famous for getting right

Couldn't agree more, after driving a X3 loaner for a week my wife couldn`t wait to get into her X5. The X3 felt like a jacked up 3 series with awful suspension and cheap interior bits. We actually preferred driving the new Toyota rav 4:confused:

Dont know if a decision has been made yet or not, but I thought I would throw another contender in the arena: Acura RDX. It will compete with the X3, however the Acura will probably cost less. It also features a turbocharged engine (a first for a North American Acura/Honda). The engine is a boosted inline 4 making 240 hp and 260 ft-lbs. It has the typical nice Acura interior, although there are a couple of design cues that are a little sloppy in my mind.

Either way, it is another alternative to consider.

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/04/23-2007-RDX.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/firstdrive/2007/acura.rdx/07.acura.rdx.int.500.jpg

The RDX looks promising, my store is waiting to get our first ones in, but from everything I've seen and read the RDX has dropped in "gattahaveit" factor as its come closer to production. Also, the trim levels are awaiting announcement and most of the stellar Acura goodies may be priced well above VDC LTD territory. If there is the remotest chance that you'll be modding I'd stick with the Subie, the RDX turbo motor looks like it'll be difficult to mod.

The X3 is OK, but a little on the "I'm bi-curious" side. Go with the XT if you wanna be serious.

Yup.

The X3 just begs for a Hello Kitty sticker on back window. They're about as serious as a Smart car.

Archived