LegacyGT.com

Wheel fitment ?

CRAZY KEN

will a 18 x 8.5 wheel on all four corners fit our cars?

Specially if the car is lowered...i.e. STi Lowering Springs!

If so what would be the appropriate tire size in order to maintain the speedometers accuracy?

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

Look at the wheel size/tire size sticky thread by Xenonk under Wheels/Tires section. that will at least give you a general idea. Whether they fit under the fenders with or without rolling may depend a lot on the wheel offset and the particular brand of tire (some tires of a given tread width are wider than others). Good luck.

What KartRacerBoy said. I can give you feedback on my setup, though - 18x8.5" Advan RS (+48mm) with 235/40/18 Advan Neova tires. First off, I haven't come across anyone fitting 18x8.5" wheels with just lowering springs, as everyone I've seen (including myself) has coilovers.

I did do an initial test-fit with the wheels. On my stock Bilstein suspension, the front wheels clear the front struts by a decent amount, but the tops of the wheels/tires stick out past the front fenders. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get enough negative camber to "tuck" the wheels/tires under the front fenders with the stock suspension+lowering springs (because I've never had 'em). In terms of the rear, it was too high for me to really tell. So, I rolled my rear fenders to be safe.

Test-Fit;

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/exterior/lgt8.jpg

With my coilovers (Cusco Zero2), I have the car aligned to -1.8 camber in front, and about -1.0 in the rear.

With Coilovers;

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/suspension/advan7.jpg

For a 2.5GT, a 245/35/18 tire would probably be the closest (in terms of rolling diameter) to the stock wheels/tires.

Ultimately, it's one of those things where you're going to have to gamble (or ask Keefe :D for more info.). If you're prepared to accept or fix any potential issues that may arise (roll the rear fenders, have the wheels stick out past the fenders, find adjustable strut tops, switch to coilovers, etc.), then the answer is "yes, they'll fit." If you're looking for something proven, just get an 18x8" wheel in a suitable offset.

-Mike-

I have to get my car re-aligned since I put on my Swift springs 2 weeks ago and add negative camber. My clearance is close but I've noticed no tire rub. Nevertheless, I want more camber for autox. I've seen various reports on how much negative camber is possible with stock struts; we'll see. I want about -1.5 up front and -1.0 in back. A good alignment shop, some say, can do this. Hmmmm. We'll see...

BTW, nice wheels Creo! I was thinking of the Rota knockoffs (G-Force) for my winter wheels, but I ordered the Rota Boost instead to show off my my STi Brembos front and rear! More open design. Stay away from those curbs, dude. You're too close!!!!

If you can get that much front camber (negative), then just lowering springs could possibly work with an 8.5" wide wheel and a +48mm offset... However, since the camber bolts in the front are at the hub, you'd (not you literally, since your 8" wide Boosts should be just fine :p) end up decreasing the distance at the top of the wheel to the strut. There may be problems with the wheel/tire rubbing on the strut. Again, I'm not sure if the 8.5" wide wheel would work with just lowering springs, as I knew what I'd need to get my 18x8.5" wheels to fit and my suspension the way I wanted it (coilovers with adjustable pillowball top mounts, rear fender rolling). :D

Oh, and don't worry about the curbs... I use a set of 18x8" GC-05Fs most of the time with spokes that don't curve out, and decent lip protection from the Toyo T1-R tires. ;)

-Mike-

You have communicated with the High Wheel God Keefe? You are truly not a nOOBi anymore. All hail Keefe, the source of almost all wheel fitment knowledge for LGTs, a god with too much time on his hands, thus obviously not married!

I have 18X8.5's with a 50mm offset and I only rub very slightly when I have the wheel cut all the way or cut alot in a hard turn. BTW it rubs on the inner fender and is only tire. I also have my Progress springs that have a 1.3in drop in fornt and 1.0 drop in the rear. No problems and no regrets.

Just so you know with a rim that wide you will get pulled a little more on uneven road surfaces but you adapt quickly.

Archived