LegacyGT.com

Hard hot starts

I have a 1996 Legacy wagon with 127,000 miles, a few times lately I have had the car refuse to start when hot. I have to hold the peddle to the floor like the old days with a flooded carb. The car starts the same way and shows black smoke, meaning too much fuel. As soon are it starts and burns aff the extra fuel it runs fine. Anyone else had this and what is the solution.

Thanks in advance

I have a 1996 Legacy wagon with 127,000 miles, a few times lately I have had the car refuse to start when hot. I have to hold the peddle to the floor like the old days with a flooded carb. The car starts the same way and shows black smoke, meaning too much fuel. As soon are it starts and burns aff the extra fuel it runs fine. Anyone else had this and what is the solution.

Thanks in advance

Weird. The "only when hot" makes it sound like vapor lock which should not happen on a fuel injected engine. On a fuel injected car, holding the pedal down during starting shuts off the injectors. Since you can start it this way, it could be that your injectors are leaking fuel into the chamber after shut-off and flooding it. If it doesn't happen when it's cold then maybe the fuel has time to leak past the rings while it sits. Does your oil have a gassy smell? When's the last time you ran a good injector cleaner through it?

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

But if the coil pack were bad, wouldnt acceleration decline drastically randomally?

2.2L or 2.5L?

No, cause the higher amp draw of the startor makes for a huge voltage drop. And the drop might be too much for a bad coil pack and it won't spark or not sprak hot enough. But once the engine is going and the volts are back up, it's enough for the bad pack to make a hot enough spark.....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

No, cause the higher amp draw of the startor makes for a huge voltage drop. And the drop might be too much for a bad coil pack and it won't spark or not sprak hot enough. But once the engine is going and the volts are back up, it's enough for the bad pack to make a hot enough spark.....

Duh Ben. That makes sense.

Archived