LegacyGT.com

Temperature Gauge acting funny...

todw17

Hi -

I have been experiencing some strange behavior from my temperature gauge and wanted to know if any one could point me in the right direction. I haven't been able to get too far with the mechanics I've spoken to, and hope you all can be of some help.

Here is a recap of what's been happening.

I have an 01 Legacy Sedan 5 speed. Never had a problem with it. Love the car.

Friday 6/2 - Took the car to Firestone for inspection, tires, and a bunch of routine maintenance. Had the timing belt replaced. Had the knock sensor issue fixed (heard that one is pretty common). Got talked into some extras like coolant system flush.

Didnt drive it much over the weekend.

Monday 6/5 - Noticed the temperature gauge needle moving up on the way home from work. Pulled into Firestone #2 where they said the coolant level was fine and that I should just keep an eye on it.

Tuesday 6/6 - Driving to work, the car started "overheating" again. Stopped and let it cool down for a while, Then nursed the car to Firestone #3 where I was told that "some stuff might have gotten in the thermostat while they were flushing the system, and I needed a new thermostat." Firestone 1 agreed to pay for the thermostat replacement. Had that done on Tuesday and got the car back Wednesday.

Friday 6/9 - Driving home from work the needle goes up again. Took it back to Firestone #1 and left it for the day on Sat. They tell me that they cant get the temperature to go anywhere and that it seems fine. They reassure me that I am all set and I drive off.

Everything is fine for the next week.

Saturday 6/17 - Drove for an hour or so on the highway. The needle goes up again. I pulled off into the shade and let it sit and idle for a few minutes, opened the hood and made sure the fan was spinning and there was plenty of coolant in the reservoir. After 5 minutes the needle dropped back down to normal and then stayed that way for the next 45 minutes worth of driving to Firestone #4.

Firestone #4 now says that I have pressure dropping and that I must have an internal coolant leak. Said something about a head gasket and getting it replaced by the dealer.

So now I have been to 4 Firestones, gotten 3 different diagnoses, and all I've learned so far is that I'm taking my car somewhere else next time :) .

Here are my questions:

1 - It seems a little strange that I never had a problem with the car until I had it serviced. Do you think problems I'm having are related to the initial coolant flush? Is it just coincidence?

2 - Since there is no steam, visible leaking fluid, or even a change in fluid level in the reservoir, is it possible that the only problem is the gauge itself?

3 - How safe is the car to drive?

4 - Any other suggestions? I am not very knowledgable when it comes to cars, and would like any ideas you may have for me.

Thanks in advance!

the boxer engine have a specific way to get filled. they will idle all day, but drive them & the temp goes up.

yes, its also possible of a head gasket leakage which could be so small could do the same as said above.

sure the gauge could be bad & it could just be coincidence also. could be a sensor for the gauge also that bad

1st/best go to a shop with a good scan tool. when the temp goes up to problem area he/she can look and see what the actual temp of the coolant is on the scan tool.

Maybe some crap has got lodged in your thermostat, preventing it from opening fully sometimes?

(p.s. I'm a Subaru newbie, but I'd guess they have a similar thermostat to standard engines.)

[edit: oops, misread your first post, they've already replaced that. :( ]

I'll bet they didn't bleed the system properly and you have air pockets circulating in the system.

:whore:

Bub-bub-bub-bub-bubbles. I am 99.9% sure that it was't filled properly. You wind up with an airpocket on the thermostat instead of hot coolant so it doesn't get hot enough to open.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

I would suggest doing it yourself if you are able;)

Remove your T-Stat & replace with a new one

Re-Fill coolant & let it cycle through to remove any air in the system

I'd also replace the upper & lower hose @ the same time

If your climate allows I would use a 70*water*/30*coolant* mix in the summer.

Also try a bottle of water wetter,

Ive been running a 80/20 mix with mine & 2 bottles of water wetter in mine year around:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Ive been running a 80/20 mix with mine & 2 bottles of water wetter in mine year around:)

How's life on the equator been treating you?:lol:

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

I'll bet they didn't bleed the system properly and you have air pockets circulating in the system.

+1 I think Pillboy is right on the money.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived