LegacyGT.com

Power Windows Question

viperboy

Is there anything you can do to make it so when you turn the car off the windows and sunroof will still be able to work? i know in my old cabrio it does that, so its not like a high-end feature on some car. can you just re-wire something? i was just curious, because that is the only thing i dont like about the car. im so used to it in my vw lol thanks

Is there anything you can do to make it so when you turn the car off the windows and sunroof will still be able to work? i know in my old cabrio it does that, so its not like a high-end feature on some car. can you just re-wire something? i was just curious, because that is the only thing i dont like about the car. im so used to it in my vw lol thanks

Sure. The absolute easiest (note I said "easiest" all you nitpickers and "that ain't right" police) way would be to find out the fuse supplying the power window circuit. There should be three 12V supply buses in the car: 12V always on, 12V ACC (key in ACC position), and 12V on (on with key in on position). Remove the "12V with key on" supply from the window fuse and replace with the "12V always on" supply. If the windows are the only thing on the circuit, you wouldn't have a problem.

The best way to me is to create a relay circuit with time delay relays which is the way it's done in the cars where it is standard, but those usually supply the radio and a few other accessories as well. I'm too lazy to type up a way to do that but it wouldn't be too hard. Just use the fused window supply to power the coil and a normally open contact on a time delay off relay unless you also wanted to incorporate other devices in the off circuit (door opening, etc). And make sure the relay contacts are rated the same or above the power window circuit fuse.

Use this info at your own risk.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Just as an aside, with the JDM remote key, when unlocking, if I hold the button in, it lowers the drivers window, and vice versa when locking, if you hold the button, it closes the window.

Is this the same for the USDM models?

Just as an aside, with the JDM remote key, when unlocking, if I hold the button in, it lowers the drivers window, and vice versa when locking, if you hold the button, it closes the window.

Is this the same for the USDM models?

Nope :icon_mad:

We don't need no steenkeen' DataDots, neither. :icon_mad: x2

My 88 Benz does this with door open, ignition off, key out. You can close the windows. Everything is off with the door closed. No timer so I can get into the car and lower the windows without the key then come back later and drive off.

Its all off the door switch I guess.

Archived