LegacyGT.com

Maxima owner looking into a Legacy

2k2MaxSe

I have a stage 1 lgt and i have noooo trouble owning a G35 coupe let alone a maxima and i have had no proble keepin up with an evo in the top end so i was just wondreing to those of you who said their maximas can hang with the lgt was the LGT parked when u hung with it because unless its not running a maxima doesnt stand a chance

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you will love it. i know my brother always borrows my car, and he has a 97 SE. one thing that you will absolutely love about the legacy is how easy it is to work on it under the hood as opposed to the maximas.

I need to start my own thread, but I just wanted to address this point. I'm looking to replace a 93 Saturn SC2.

Hey, stop laughing.

OK, so it's not much of a sports car, but what the Saturn really has going for it is how CHEAP and easy it is to maintain. I've changed the water pump and Tstat and front rotors and pads (etc, etc,....) myself and the only thing I struggled with was breaking loose the old bolts. Is an LGT fairly easy to work on? Tune-ups? Oil changes? Brake pads?

I too came from the Maxima. I was in a 2000 SE with 5-speed.

What everyone has been saying has been accurate - the Maxima has a few more goodies and leans towards the luxury side of the equation. You will not find the leg or trunk room to be on par (the Maxy has more, the Legacy's has a nifty tray) and from the standpoint of being a big guy (I am 6'3" and ~245) you will notice the side-to-side room being more cozy than the Maxy.

Notice I said cozy. This was my biggest concern in getting the Leg - the interior room I was used to on the Maxy wasn't there...but I quickly grew used to it. The difference in driving is HUGE. That 3.5VQ is an awesome NA engine with that sweet TQ/HP curve, but the rest of the drivetrain could use improvement. In the Leggy, the entire drivetrain is very refined. You are likel thinking, as I was, that the AWD will serve you well in harsh weather, and you would be 100% correct on that. However, the AWD will have you grinning from ear to ear the first time you realize that there are 4 wheels all working to point you in the right direction under power...NOTHING like the Maxy.

In short, just under 1 year ago I was in the same position you are - stay with Nissan or go with Subaru. This site, a good friend, and the right timing helped me in my decision and I haven't regetted it. Good luck in your decision!

P.S. Another difference between here and Maxima.org - you can search ;)

I had a 2000 Maxima SE with a stick before I purchased my LGT. When I started shopping around for a new car, the choice was between Infinity G35, BMW 330i (quickly dismissed based on the performance/price ratio), and LGT. I thought my Maxima was fast, but when I spent 5 minutes behind the wheel of an LGT, I was blown away by the acceleration (and we are talking stock here). IMO, LGT's (even stock) handling is better as well. The nissan's engine felt smoother though.

OK you guys got me pumped...want to go test drive one now..lol but I have to wait a few months build up some money than start looking. But I think this is really the car I want. Im not really into major tuning..just smaller stuff I do a lot of driving and dont need problems or anything. Ive just got an intake and exhaust on my Max and it runs low 6's 0-60 (i know that sounds slow to yall but hey) My mom has owned a few car based SUVs and although they are not fast like the subie..i do love having awd pulling out in traffic. very nice feeling. My neigbor just bought an N/A legacy and he loves it. so i just cant wait for the day.

I'm yet another former Maxima owner. I enjoyed my 5-speed 1997 Maxima SE for quite a few years, now the Legacy GT Wagon has taken its place. As others have said, the Maxima had more legroom and more width. The overall feel of the Maxima was smoother and more luxurious. But the Legacy GT has a wonderful drivetrain, no torque steer or one-wheel spinfests like the Maxima. The handling on the Legacy is better and the feel for the road is much better through the controls. In slick weather the Legacy feels incredibly well-planted and secure. The utility of the wagon body style is a big plus for me, also.

Per the comment re 255 hp - (actual whp is more like 210)

All manufacturers claim crank hp not whp (wheel hp)

That said the max had 255hp

The leg gt has 250 hp

Naturally the package is made up of more than just raw HP

The only power advantage the max has is the power is not effected As Much by temp changes and running the A/C because it is a NA 6 cyl

The max is a great value and the resale is SICK. The leggt is a bit of a sports car with 4 (or 5) doors

well with my short ram intake on my max hot air def DOES affect the power but its super loud and I love it. AC has no effect, your correct. But the automatic feels slower to me at high speed...it is pretty slow. like i said earlier. i had a 2000 maxima 5speed SE before this and it felt quicker top end. weird, huh?

I looked at the 06MY Maxima SE and ended up with an 06MY LGT Spec B.

You have all the details already...but the Maxima was quick, but the LGT is extremely quick. And while it sounds like you'll go with a stock LGT up front, the Bilsteins on the Spec B make for a really tight ride. LOVE my decision, and now I can't even believe I thought about a Maxima.

Good luck!

It is crazy but my 95 Maxima felt faster from 90-120 than the 02 Maxima. Both with Manual transmissions. I can very easily say that the Maxima in manual form is as fast as the legacy from 4th gear up. The reason I switch was the Legacy has a turbo (super easy to get more power) and it was all wheel drive.

The reason there are so many previous Maxima owners is because the Maxima offered a package no other car company had. A fast four door sedan available with a manual transmission. Subie came to the market and I decided to check them out. I am running a 5 flat 0-60 with just a cobb. That is freaking impressive! I love knowing that in my City of around 250000 people I am the only one who has one. The subie dealer here only gets the NAs. This is a spectacular vehicle.

dude i cant believe that theres no way it will keep up in 4th

My 00 max with an intake was about the same on the hwy as my LGT in stock form. Keep in mind the LGT has a lot more driveline friction. Power to weight ratio is very close, once the drivline drag is figured in.

how rare is it to find a SpecB?

Well, they only made 500 for MY06...BUT...they did not sell so well (as with most "special editions). I found 14 within 150 miles of my house. So odds are you'll find one if you want one.

The virtues (and added costs) of the Spec B are broached across these boards...just do a search and you'll find the threads.

FWIW, I LOVE mine. COuld not be happier. There is (seriously) not another car on the road I'd rather be driving.

Well I think the Spec.B. will sell better now that it offers more. How many are they producing this time? Anyone know?

For 2007, it is not a limited edition. But I would expect that it will cost a lot closer to MSRP than the 06MY, at least until this time next year.

I may be in the minority, but the blue interior on the MY07 was a deal killer for me. That's a big reason why I just bought my 06!

hey speaking of highway power before...this will probably sound pathetic but my auto max with short ram (hot air) intake with 91 degrees today did 70-90 mph in 7 seconds (eww) and 70-80 in 4 sec. using 3rd gear (out of 5) only. compare that to the turbo engine. not much faster when its cold out.

My advice to you is not to compare what you like with the Maxima-cars are as "individuals" as humans (no two cars are alike). Performance-wise AWD Legacy is better than the FWD Maxima. Good luck.
"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

hey speaking of highway power before...this will probably sound pathetic but my auto max with short ram (hot air) intake with 91 degrees today did 70-90 mph in 7 seconds (eww) and 70-80 in 4 sec. using 3rd gear (out of 5) only. compare that to the turbo engine. not much faster when its cold out.

Heres autoweek, a good article if you havent seen it:

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/FREE/507040714&SearchID=73248645518947

STANDING-START ACCELERATION

0-60 mph: 5.23 sec

0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 5.86 sec

0-quarter-mile: 13.95 sec @97.5 mph

ROLLING ACCELERATION

20-40 mph (second gear): 2.7 sec

40-60 mph (third gear): 3.4 sec

60-80 mph (third gear): 3.8 sec

Cant find high speed rolling numbers...it still pulls nicely, not as fast as 0-85 where it is a beast tho

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0603_awd_data_panel.pdf

Archived