LegacyGT.com

Maxima owner looking into a Legacy

2k2MaxSe

Hi guys I currently own a 2002 Maxima and I have been looking into the Legacy GT's lately...really like the car. Wanted to know what you guys think of them, ups and downs? And also I am used to a super smooth free revving V6...how is the engine? I would def be looking into a stick with the short throw. Thanks for the info.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you will love it. i know my brother always borrows my car, and he has a 97 SE. one thing that you will absolutely love about the legacy is how easy it is to work on it under the hood as opposed to the maximas.

...how is the engine? I would def be looking into a stick with the short throw. Thanks for the info.

boxer engine will smoke the 02 maxima but you won't know until you test drive one. maxima is more family sedan type car. legacy is more driver enthusiast.

I currently own both a '02 Maxima SE (my wifes car) and a '05 LGT (mine) - 5EAT. The LGT is quicker, handles better, and is way more fun to drive. The Maxima, has a little more room, and slightly more comfortable front seats (according to the wife). Also the breaks are alittle better also. Drive the LGT, I think you will like it.

I came from a 2002 Altima SE 5-speed. Heres my take, but keep in mind I have the 05 Outback XT in Auto.

THE BAD, it is smaller in the back seat where the kids sit, and a bit narrower over all. For larger people it may be cramped, I'm 5'11", 185 lbs, perfect size for me. There are some issues with the air conditioner (mines tolerable), turbo stutter (fixed with COBB), oil consumption, and "floatiness" on snow. All these may not effect your car but you never know.

THE GOOD, I do not regreat getting the Subi. I was having other issues with the Altima that I could not stand. The power with the Turbo/Auto was not on par with my VQ3.5 Alti, but I fixed that with the Cobb/TDC Map. Shes pretty quick now. I know your looking for a stick, but the Auto is very smooth and eager to please if in "Sport" mode. Handles just as well as my Alti did, even though it's a wagon. Interior is great, and well layed out. Sunroof is the biggest, you'll love it. Lots of "trunk space" if you opt for the wagan.

And last but not least. AWD!!! It's the best reason to get the Subi. No more slipping from a red light in the rain, I know YOU know what I mean. Those little wet hills from a dig are no longer a cocern. Much safer.

Good luck with your decision...

My parents own a loaded 02Se Maxima with a 6M. I have an 05 LGT with a 5M. The things youll miss in your Maxima will be the space. The Max. is larger on the inside especially in leg room. You will also miss the fuel mileage. My parents get 36 higway out of their Max. I get 26 with the Cobb tuning. As far as speed and quickness. The Maxima is fast, really fast but traction is an issue. The Subie does not have this problem. They both run the 1/4 in low 14's stock. The subies advantage is off the line while the Maxima revs freely and fast in the higher gears. The Subie will not have the top speed end of the MAxima. The subaru is funner to drive then the Maxima. The fit and finish is better on the subie. Test drive one and youll like it, but the 02 Max is a great car.

i came from the 4th gen maxima, my legacy handles pretty good stock, the maxima even on coilovers was OK but it was still fwd w/ a solid rear end.

i do miss the smoothness of the vq but the boxer rumble is something else, gotta love the exhaust note and the way it sounds so aggressive.

If you have a family the back seats are kind of cramped on the legacy, the maxima is much more roomy. Also to all those people saying its a slow sedan, its really not.... especially on the freeway i think my maxima would take the legacy on the freeway (a maxima with mevi or dek IM that is)

I carpool in an 02 Maxima SE twice aweek. The Nissan has more leg room if you are taller then 5'11'' and is larger/heavier all around. Legacy suspension is superior to the 02 Nismo as is acceleration and performance. However, I believe the Maxima gets 3-5 MPG better,but doesn't have AWD.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

My parents own a loaded 02Se Maxima with a 6M. I have an 05 LGT with a 5M. The things youll miss in your Maxima will be the space. The Max. is larger on the inside especially in leg room. You will also miss the fuel mileage. My parents get 36 higway out of their Max. I get 26 with the Cobb tuning. As far as speed and quickness. The Maxima is fast, really fast but traction is an issue. The Subie does not have this problem. They both run the 1/4 in low 14's stock. The subies advantage is off the line while the Maxima revs freely and fast in the higher gears. The Subie will not have the top speed end of the MAxima. The subaru is funner to drive then the Maxima. The fit and finish is better on the subie. Test drive one and youll like it, but the 02 Max is a great car.

36 MPH!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

^^^^

parents must have magnesium right foot (as opposed to lead). or they only travel on wide-open highways all day long. I can't imagine the Max getting 36 mpg in mixed city driving. maybe real high twenties. still better than the LGT.

but like the other guy said......it's a TURBO!!!

hey guys...well first of...seems like the people on here are much better than the guys on maxima.org... (no offense to them) on there you cant start a thread without people arguing or w/e. Im only 18 years old...so itll be awhile before I have a family..space really isnt an issue now..although I love the roominess. My max is an auto and its pretty slow on the highway...lol i saw a 2.5GT take off on the highway and there was NOOOO WAYYY in hell i was keepin up with him. what is "Cobb tuning" I saw that a few times in this thread. I had a 2000 maxima before this used syn. oil..had some oil consumption..i'm used to it. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE INFO. I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

I use to own a slightly modded 00 max.

Gas mileage in the LGT is about 10-12% less.

36 MPG (unless that is the larger Canadian Gallons, BS)

Tail wind or down hill is the only way that is possible. Still gets good mileage though.

My Maxima had Eiback springs and Tokico struts and a Stillen RSB. It rode worse then my modded LGT and handled worse. LGT FTW here.

LGT is definitely faster off the line and modding is cheap and easy on the LGT. Only way to have 260 whp on a max is to have forced induction, and that isn't cheap. Even then it will never do a high 4s 0-60. Stage 2 LGT will.

My modded max could hit 146 mph. My stage 1 LGT w/ header could hit 156. Even top speed LGT FTW.

Any more questions let me know cause I did a lot with my MAX.

Hi guys I currently own a 2002 Maxima and I have been looking into the Legacy GT's lately...really like the car. Wanted to know what you guys think of them, ups and downs? And also I am used to a super smooth free revving V6...how is the engine? I would def be looking into a stick with the short throw. Thanks for the info.

You will get addicted to boost, and you'll dump every paycheck into you car. Stay away!

Steven

Ok I believe your 02 is 255 hp in regards to other scomments.

I had a 01 max se 5speed (222 hp)I really enjoyed the car, but it was a bit boring. The straight rear axle was odd. I added tokicos and a few other minor mods. Some days I really miss it (I could gently put my mtb bike across the back floor without the front wheel) The resale was unreal!!! I was almost done paying for my MAX and should have driven payment free for a couple years...then bought a subie. Things like the carpet and floor mats are very cheap compared to the "higher end" max.

I think the MAX is a luxury car with a touch of sport and the subie is the opposite.

i had an 03 Maxima before the LGT and the only thing I miss on the Maxima is the low end grunt and if you had the Traction control off you will spin those front tires til they're bald. The Maxima was little more luxurios than the LGT.

so sounds like the LGT is really more of a sports car..eh? Yea I like the luxury in the maxima but i promised myself id get something sportier for my next car. SO whats this stage 2 thing with high 4's 0-60? how much that cost to do? BTW maximas only have (if ur lucky) 200-210 WHP which sucks. (255 claimed)

i am not really sure about the stage 2 on the lgt since i have the NA version, but my brother's 97 Max SE doesn't have a problem hanging out with the lgt's only on intake, f pipe, exhaust and a lightweight pulley.

You will get addicted to boost, and you'll dump every paycheck into you car. Stay away!

You'll know you're screwed for life when you've stopped listening to music while driving because it interferes with you hearing the....woooooshhh-pissshhhh.

Flee young man, fleeeee!!!

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Cobb=Power. They are a Subi tunning shop with tons of "know-how" and sell the ECU reflash module and code reader. TDC is a tunning shop who specializes in custom maps for individual needs and mods that work with the Cobb modual. Stage One is no mods to your car,except the reflash. Stage Two is basically replacing the Down Pipe and Up Pipe and a refash to benifit those mods. I have S1 (TDC map) and it equals my modded Altima (which inclueded almost everything but headers). You really need to test drive and feedback your impressions! My Outback has surprised a few and makes a great sleeper.

Archived