LegacyGT.com

AC won't work

Well, my AC stopped working about a month ago, 2 weeks ago i took it into the dealer(not where i purchased the car, i'm from cleveland, but was at school in columbus), and when the checked it, they told me a rock had hit the condenser, and was therefore not covered under warranty. I asked for them to show me, but since it was already off the lift, they told me they didn't have time to put it back up. The new condenser plus install is like 800 bucks. I've had the car for 3 months, just over 4000 miles, prolly was closer to 3000 when the problems started. I told them to FXXX off, that i would just wait and take it in to my dealer when i got back home. Has anyone else had problems with this? Let me know if i'm just being stubborn and it was my own fault, or if they were trying to dick me.:iam:

^ +1 - which dealer in our area, bro? :(:mad:

Not cool, IMHO. That kind of stuff, the service guys should be more than willing to - and should outright - "show and tell."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

it was hatfield. to their credit, kinda, they were busy and the car was off the lift, but still, i wasn't droppin 800 bucks on something that could have been as simple as a loose hose. i'm taking it in thursday morning to ellacott here in cleveland, i expect the same diagnosis, but plan on being there to see it.

If it does turn out to be the condensor buy the part, install it yourself (it's very easy) and then just pay the dealer to evacuate & recharge the A/C with freon. You will save quite a bit of $$ since impacts are not warranty concerns.

Too bad Subaru doesn't provide any protection in that area such as some kind of mesh. That seems like a deficient design. In probably 35 car-years I've never had anything like that happen.

Has anyone retrofitted some kind of mesh protection? I'm thinking about something similar to what folks are doing with homemade grills.

Please let us know how Ellacott treat ya! :) That's a big mystery/debate on LERSOC.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Not covered by warranty? Pure BULLSHIT.

This is the kinda crap that pisses me off. Something as common as airconditioner is broken because its hit by a rock??! They should fix their poorly designed apparatus for you, afterall they want you to buy another one. And why would you if something as simple as A/C is broken after 4000 miles. Id let SOA hear about it....though that hasnt ever gotten me very far.

Not covered by warranty? Pure BULLSHIT.

This is the kinda crap that pisses me off. Something as common as airconditioner is broken because its hit by a rock??!

Uummm, you do realize that the Warranty protects consumers against defects, not against damage caused by an outside influence like a rock impact right? If you expect the warranty to cover you against impacts then you wouldn't need collision insurance would you?

...and as far as it being a design problem...every vehicle I know of that is equipped with A/C has it's condensor located in the front of the vehicle and I know of several people with non-Subaru vehicle's that also were unlucky enough to have a rock (I've even known one that was punctured by a large Dragonfly) puncture their condensor...none were covered by warranty.

What's the deductible on your collision insurance?

Not collision - comprehensive. This has happened to me on two occasions, 1) rock through the front headlight (comprehensive covered) one rock through the condenser (comprehensive covered). This, cracked windshields and keyed cars are the reason I keep $0 deductible comprehensive coverage. Has paid for itself, countless times over.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Uummm, you do realize that the Warranty protects consumers against defects, not against damage caused by an outside influence like a rock impact right? If you expect the warranty to cover you against impacts then you wouldn't need collision insurance would you?

...and as far as it being a design problem...every vehicle I know of that is equipped with A/C has it's condensor located in the front of the vehicle and I know of several people with non-Subaru vehicle's that also were unlucky enough to have a rock (I've even known one that was punctured by a large Dragonfly) puncture their condensor...none were covered by warranty.

I have never ever heard of such a thing. Thats really gay.

I have never ever heard of such a thing. Thats really gay.

I'm sorry but what the hay does that mean?

SBT

I'm sorry but what the hay does that mean?

SBT

It means that I think its stupid for something to be in a positioned where it can be broken by a dragon fly. Reinforce it or move it somewhere else.

What next? My cylinder head gaskets were destroyed because a hair went through my air filter.

It means that I think its stupid for something to be in a positioned where it can be broken by a dragon fly. Reinforce it or move it somewhere else.

Got it - and I agree, a Dragon Fly, unless it's loaded with shite, or the driver was wailing on the car like a banshee, shouldn't have cracked/broken the condensor. That seems pretty unlikely to me but still in realm of the possible.

What next? My cylinder head gaskets were destroyed because a hair went through my air filter.

Lol - let's all hope not. :lol:

SBT

Do you even know what the A/C condeser does? :icon_conf

:lol:

Well.... just FYI.....

It's purpose is to cool and condense the pressurized refrigerant (freon) that is being pumped out of the A/C compressor. It is very similar to your radiator or intercooler in construction (tube and fin heat exchanger made out of aluminum) and is mounted in front of the radiator. This is because it requires ambient air temperature to work effectively.

If you put it somewhere else with less air flow or higher temperature air flowing through it... then your A/C refrigerant loop would overheat and overpressurize..... leading to poor A/C performance and short compressor life.

Archived