LegacyGT.com

LED Tag Light Install...

WRXGuyInVegas

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ It's different pretty much everywhere - not only "State-level" laws, but even local ordinances.

The City of Cleveland, for example, is super-anal about "red by sight" at the rear - not so much for those who've tinted their tail-lights black (even to the point of being "opaque"), though, as much as almost specifically targeting "Import Sport Compacts" who have either aftermarket "clear" or "white" tail-lamp units.

What I tell people who do any type of lighting mods is to first get their local laws and ordinances straight. And furthermore, if their local enforcers seem to target a specific sub-genre of tuner/hot-rod vehicles, to even more play it on the safe side of such codes. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^^^^^^

That is good advice....

:lol:

My mis-spent youth, my friend, does come in handy at-times! ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I would think the license plate would be reflective and the white light hitting it might make a bad combo. Why would you want to make it so visible anyway?

I just like the white hue of LEDs, as oppose to the "yellow" tint that normal bulbs produce...

Plus, I wanted it to be bright enough to read the tag so it wouldn't be illegal.

PLUS... we're getting a custom plate, so visibility is a good thing!

"Insert Signature Here"

i searched ebay for "white led 194" just like you said, and a million results came up... which should i specifically look for, so it can be identical to yours

nevermind, i just bought the leds off of ebay for 10 bucks...

i searched ebay for "white led 194" just like you said, and a million results came up... which should i specifically look for, so it can be identical to yours

Any of them will work. They're all very bright, especially if you get the ones with multiple LEDS on one bulb.

"Insert Signature Here"

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Try these. scroll down to the X5.

Actually, the x6 looks like the bulb that I bought! Probably is... The x5 has leds pointing to the side... you dont want that, since it will be blocked by the housing. You want them to shine forward, like the x6.

"Insert Signature Here"

couldn't you just wrap/cover the end of the screw drive as to avoid paint damage? seems like a very cool mod to try out.

Kenda:dm:

You shouldn't need to use the screwdriver at all. I just used my fingers to pry the painted panel off, and the black lag-light panel.

I'm telling you, it's REALLY easy, and much faster than going through the trunk liner way.

"Insert Signature Here"

Actually, the x6 looks like the bulb that I bought! Probably is... The x5 has leds pointing to the side... you dont want that, since it will be blocked by the housing. You want them to shine forward, like the x6.

I have the WLED-x5 installed, and it works well since it has the 4 radial LEDs. Only 3 of the radial LEDs are blocked by the housing, as one of the LEDs actually faces directly towards the plate. The LED at the top faces out from the lens as well (although angled away from the plate). I'll try and get a photo next week.

Taking off the rear (painted) trunk panel is the easier/faster way to go. I tried it both ways as well, and the outter trunk pieces pop off quite easily. If you do decide to go through the trunk liner, you don't have to remove the whole thing. Just the push-ins next to/around the latch, rubber stoppers, the emergency trunk release, and one push-in near the release. That gives you plenty of room to access the bulbs from the top.

-Mike-

Taking off the rear (painted) trunk panel is the easier/faster way to go. I tried it both ways as well, and the outter trunk pieces pop off quite easily.

-Mike-

Exactly... all in all about 10 minutes of work...

"Insert Signature Here"

Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs

Try these. scroll down to the X5.

^^good seller, got my bulbs in 2 days. i just put my LEDs in and i couldn't be happier! i love cheap mods that i can do in my own garage. i don't have a camera to post pics, but it looks just like wrxguyinvegas' pics. my license plate isn't extremely lit up either, so it's not like these bulbs increase the visibility of your plates. not quite as bright as the new lexus' (gs and is) but still nice. overall i'm very pleased!:icon_bigg

^^good seller, got my bulbs in 2 days. i just put my LEDs in and i couldn't be happier! i love cheap mods that i can do in my own garage. i don't have a camera to post pics, but it looks just like wrxguyinvegas' pics. my license plate isn't extremely lit up either, so it's not like these bulbs increase the visibility of your plates. not quite as bright as the new lexus' (gs and is) but still nice. overall i'm very pleased!:icon_bigg

w00t!! Good work!

"Insert Signature Here"

soo i just received my LEDs in the mail today.. (bought from ebay) and i went through the outside, not the liner.. took me about less than a minute to get to the bulbs... BUT my one and only problem is... the bulbs i got, they seem too wide or fat for the connector.... they're making contact and lighting up, but i have a feeling if i hit a bump or something, they'll fall out of the connector.. they were falling out of the connector when i was trying to put the bulbs back in their housing ;\ this may be a problem, might not... all i know is that i can't wait for nighttime so i can see how it looks :)

soo i just received my LEDs in the mail today.. (bought from ebay) and i went through the outside, not the liner.. took me about less than a minute to get to the bulbs... BUT my one and only problem is... the bulbs i got, they seem too wide or fat for the connector.... they're making contact and lighting up, but i have a feeling if i hit a bump or something, they'll fall out of the connector.. they were falling out of the connector when i was trying to put the bulbs back in their housing ;\ this may be a problem, might not... all i know is that i can't wait for nighttime so i can see how it looks :)

Hey, just get some electrical tape, and tape AROUND the housing and bulb together... :)

"Insert Signature Here"

sounds like a good idea... if one ever pops out, that's what i'll do... how did everyone elses bulbs fit?

so, just drove around... closed my trunk a bunch and hit normal bumps on city and highway roads... and they're still looking sexy :) now, the question is... should i swap out the lights in the doors? what bulb is it?

Archived