LegacyGT.com

LED Tag Light Install...

WRXGuyInVegas

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem!

First, you need size 194 LED bulbs. Some Pep Boys carry them, but they dont carry the GOOD ones.

You need an LED set with more than just one bulb on it. I bought a set off ebay, that had 6 lights clustered onto each bulb. VERY bright, and effective. You want it to be bright enough to be seen well, or it's not legal.

On ebay, just search "White LED 194"

Now, there's a few ways to do this. One member posted a walk-through on how to change them by taking out the trunk liner. That is much more work than the way I did it. Actually, I did it both ways, to compare the difficulty. The way I will be posting took half the time, and it's far easier.

Instead of going through the back, under the liner, I attacked it from the outside! :D

First, remove your plate. You'll see 2 bolts under that... take them out.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8080/install23os.jpg

Then, all you have to do is "pry" the lower half of the trunk off. They're all just pop-tabs. Don't worry, you WONT break them, really you cant break them. the first one may take a little effort, but once you get one corner started, the whole piece will pop right off in a jiffy!!

You're left with this!!!

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1355/install10ks.jpg

(Ignore the trunk liner... like I said, I tried both ways)

Then, after that lower piece is off, you need to either use a flat tip screw driver to get started, or your fingers, and simply pry the black piece of plastic that holds the lights in, out of place. I used my fingers, and again after the first one was started, they all just pop right out!!

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/204/install30am.jpg

(Ignore the fact the lower piece is installed... I just snapped this pic after it was completed!)

Then you can access the lights once that piece is out! Change them, and just reverse your steps. Its VERY easy. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes total time.

Enjoy!

"Insert Signature Here"

wouldnt it be easier to get to those bulbs my taking the trunklid liner off and getting them from the inside? thats what i did

atleast then you dont have to worry about marring the painted pieces

wouldnt it be easier to get to those bulbs my taking the trunklid liner off and getting them from the inside? thats what i did

atleast then you dont have to worry about marring the painted pieces

You CANT mis-align them. There's about 8 pop-tabs holding the thing on there. There's really no way you can mess up.

Trust me, after doing it both ways, this was WAY easier than going through the liner.

May look scary, but trust me guys, it's VERY simple, and much easier.

"Insert Signature Here"

If you observe... everything looks really dim in the picture in general. There are many different variations of 194 LED bulbs you can get too. Take it into consideration when ordering.

Woah I just realized I had a dream about 194 LED bulbs... Wierd...

It will probably depend on the cop and whether or not he believes it's right to light your license plate in this manner. Your word vs his. Most people would probably listen to the cop instead of look it up.

It will probably depend on the cop and whether or not he believes it's right to light your license plate in this manner. Your word vs his. Most people would probably listen to the cop instead of look it up.

Um... your taillights are red.... red isn't illegal at the rear. :lol:

:lol:

Texas Department of Public Safety

SB 439 makes it illegal to add reflective material, lights, emblems or anything else that changes the color of the license plate or makes it difficult to read the letters on the license plate. The name of the state where the vehicle is registered must be visible.

Oh you're from Ohio...

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQsequipment.htm

Colored lights, such as neon lights around a license plate, could be illegal if the light illuminates the plate and changes the colors of the plate. State law requires a white light to illuminate the rear license plate.

Archived