LegacyGT.com

Odd security feature

I just got my LGT and i was trying out some things, and i noticed this... if u take your keys, lock the car via the remote and drop your keys on the drivers seat and close the door, the car will lock and not unlock itself, like some cars do when it realizes that you foolishly locked your keys in the car. its a possible situation that seemed like a flaw to me.

the other thing that isnt so likely is that i locked the car through the remote and put the keys in the ignition and closed the door. this time, not only did it not unlock, i tried using my other set of keys to unlock it via the remote and it did nothing, so i had to unlock it manually with the key.

although the second situation is unlikely, the first on isnt. any way to fix that or that is just a flaw in the system? thanks

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but what car automatically unlocks the doors when you just leave the keys on the seat? Not in the ignition, etc. But you lock the doors and just leave the keys on the seat?

keep your keys and remote together..problem 2 solved..dont take your keys out of the ignition till you are ready to either A: put them in your pocket, or B: ready to get out of the car..if they are in the ignition and you use the door to lock, the doors will unlock themselves..personally i only lock the door with my remote..and in refering to the first answer..you can never lock your keys in your car that way :)

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but what car automatically unlocks the doors when you just leave the keys on the seat? Not in the ignition, etc. But you lock the doors and just leave the keys on the seat?

honsetly, i dont remember, but i remember reading that some cars out there will unlock the car when it realizes that you have locked the car and left the keys in the car or trunk.

keep your keys and remote together..problem 2 solved..dont take your keys out of the ignition till you are ready to either A: put them in your pocket, or B: ready to get out of the car..if they are in the ignition and you use the door to lock, the doors will unlock themselves..personally i only lock the door with my remote..and in refering to the first answer..you can never lock your keys in your car that way :)

i think i explained it poorly. i did keep them together... the one set (key and remote) were in the ignition, and the other set was in my hand. and when the one set was in the ignition, the remote in my hand wouldn't do anything.

Maybe like the system the Lexus uses that detects when you are near the car and just unlocks itself? :iam:

Unfortunately those systems are reserved for cars costing 45K+, but I bet somehow with viperboy's way of testing he would find a way to lock the keys in the car! :icon_mrgr

X

---

I would have to test this again, but I believe our Acura does this. I know that older Hondas did this too. You would have to lock the car after you shut the door. The car doesn't sense if the keys are in the car or not, just unlocks when the door is shut.

wow, you must have a pretty big wallet, those subaru keys are quite thick.

but why would you lock and arm the alarm, while still in the car? leaving keys in the trunk is more likely... our systems dont unlock then, do they?

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but I feel that this thread may be a waste of life. No offense to anyone trying to providve help. Perhaps it is true, there probably is such a feature on higher end cars that detect when the keys are still in the car and won't like the car. Yet this feature is probably reserved for high end cars as laz was saying. The kind where it is a remote transponder. Lexus happens to call it SmartAccess. When one is to walk within three feet of the car, the doors will automatically unlock if you have the remote in your pocket for example. From there you can keep the remote in your pocket and just press a "Start" button on the dashboard.

As for the Acura/Honda anti-lock out feature that Pugsly was refereing to, I believe there's nothing electronic about that. If he is speaking of the same thing it's a fully mechanical anti-lock out feature. One would be able to press the lock button or switch on the door, but unless you are pulling on the door handle at the same time, the driver's door will not lock if the door is open.

some cars now are eliminating the key all together. As long as you have the fob in your pocket. you push the start button and away you go. If you leave with the fob in your pocket, the car will lock it self for you. no keys no keyholes. I am also pretty sure you cannot lock your car with fob just left in there. Though I am not sure on that last point. I think keys are getting to be a throwback. Subaru on this level of car should think about ditching the keys, and just use fobs.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

• 2 weeks later...
If you RTFM on a Lexus IS350, I was thumbing though my friends manual to see what strange things the car does, if the key fob goes dead, you are almost screw. There is a switchblade style key in the key fob, but to use one, you will have to pry the cover off the door latch in order to get access to the key opening. Then you have to hold the key fob right next to the start button to get the car started. Of course if you lose the key fob, you are completely f$%ked.

My Saturn will not lock the doors with any doors open via the fob, which is nice IMHO. At least the Subie does warn you by beeping a ton of times to let you know that you've locked the doors with a door open.

Pugsly you are correct, Acura and Honda have a feature that if the door is open and you press the "Lock" button on the key fob, the doors will unlock again within a few seconds. Same goes if you press the lock button on the door. It has nothing to do with the car "knowing" that the keys are still in the car.

Archived