LegacyGT.com

Move over Hella Super Tones

Waxiboy

Griot's Garage sells them. They are cheaper than SuperTones actually. They'll fit in the stock location I think....I've yet to install them. I'm adding the SPT intake and will remove the resonator box, so there should be ample room then.

Wow $40.00 vs $70.00 for the HSTs. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

And I'm looking to go with the SPT intake too, so stock location looks like a good place. Hadn't thought of that.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the HST's in the stock location and it's not an easy fit. A bit of custom bending of the bracket is necessary and all the care in the world doesn't get the bumper skin over them easily. Once over, you reach down in and torque the heck out of them to get it to sit just right. :lol: BFH technique.

I have the HST's in the stock location and it's not an easy fit. A bit of custom bending of the bracket is necessary and all the care in the world doesn't get the bumper skin over them easily. Once over, you reach down in and torque the heck out of them to get it to sit just right. :lol: BFH technique.

Oh noes!!!! Sounds like I am gonna have a tight fit with the Bosch :confused:

if they are larger than the Hella's, yes, absolutely. Probably better to extend the leads and mount them in the lower grille area instead. If I had it to do over, I'd go that route.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed two full size Stebel Nautilus today. OMG :icon_bigg So much better sound and volume than the Hella SuperTones I pulled out. One thing....the space is tight and the shape is somewhat cubicle....a single would be a tight fit. I removed the airbox resonator and then had no issues (I'll be putting the SPT intake in soon, so I was planning ahead ;) ).

Wiring was simple - no relays needed - same as the Hella's. Use the factory plug for + and then cut a short piece of wire from the - to the chassis. I had already done this, so it was quick work....only having to cut a piece off the factory plug to get it to fit in the slot for the new horns.

I'm very happy with it....sounds like a Ferrari horn now instead of a VW. Seriously. :lol:

Bonus!!! I got the compact ones. Maybe I should order another set.:woowoo:

I want something louder than stock but I don't want something that's so loud that people in front of you will be dicks and drive even more slower after you honk at them. This has happened to me a lot with Hella Supertones and I'm not even using them in an obnoxious way, just 2 quick honks to tell them to move their asses instead of daydreaming at the green light.

Put up a sound clip.:D

I did a quick video this morning, but as soon as I hit the horn, they quit on me. :lol: A 'short' clip until I get back under the car to investigate (the connections were on the bottom, so gravity > tape to hold the leads in place - solder time!)

Nautilus.flv video by PatagonianGT - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid4.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/Nautilus.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid4@@AMEPARAM@@4@@AMEPARAM@@y124/PatagonianGT/Nautilus

I did a quick video this morning, but as soon as I hit the horn, they quit on me. :lol: A 'short' clip until I get back under the car to investigate (the connections were on the bottom, so gravity > tape to hold the leads in place - solder time!)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/th_Nautilus.jpg

Did you wire up the relay that came with this?

I am surprised a horn with a compressor doesn't need one. If I don't install one for the Hella, they don't work right. But seeing how it actually sounded pretty loud w/o it might not need one. Is there a horn that's not as loud from that company. Something like that would be fun in NYC but won't be great for everyday use.

I have two of the larger ones. Run one small one and you'll be fine.

Side note = the Hella's worked fine without a relay for over a year. I suspect the new ones had too much current draw and will need a relay.

I had the PIAA horns previously and from what I gather they aren't as loud as the Nautilus horn should be. Still better than stock, though.

Are you doing this with the headlights? I want to hear...I need something louder :lol:

Archived