LegacyGT.com

Q's for specB owners? (and those that know about 'em)

belynch

Hi everyone - it's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on a specB - just wanted to know a few quick things.

• Any technical problems on the '06's that have surfaced that I should know about going into it?
  • Is the navigation relatively accurate? (I'm a volley EMT and sometimes use my car to meet the rig on scene if I'm close-by and would hate to get lost cause of poor navigation)
  • What's the mileage rating on the tires? And, has anyone had to pony up for replacements? Ballpark costs?
  • I saw the other thread about incentives in the NY area - the dealer I've been talking to told me there were currently none, anyone have any more insight into this?
  • Anything else a non-current Subie owner should know before making the jump?
  • Tri-state (NY) area dealer insights?

Thanks-a-million in advance.

I don't have a Spec B but I do have an 06 Legacy GT and an 06 Outback VDC (with nav).

Hi everyone - it's only a matter of time before I pull the trigger on a specB - just wanted to know a few quick things.

• Any technical problems on the '06's that have surfaced that I should know about going into it?

There's a 'glitch' with the trip computers (:lol:) - but it doesn't apply to the Spec B.

Some 06 owners apparently still have the stuttering & smelly clutch problems - I haven't experienced them myself.

• Is the navigation relatively accurate? (I'm a volley EMT and sometimes use my car to meet the rig on scene if I'm close-by and would hate to get lost cause of poor navigation)

It seems generally accurate. Sometimes residential address numbers are off. My home address shows up on the map about a block away from where it actually is - but then I see that a lot with mapping software. It's probably an issue with the source maps.

• What's the mileage rating on the tires? And, has anyone had to pony up for replacements? Ballpark costs?

The RE050As on the Spec B are performance summer tires - they will probably not last as long as the all-season compromises usually put on cars. Tirerack has the OE tires at $196 each.

• I saw the other thread about incentives in the NY area - the dealer I've been talking to told me there were currently none, anyone have any more insight into this?

It looks like Subaru's current national incentives exclude the Spec B.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

1. No technical issues. Subjective wishes, yes.

2. Yes, every single time I've used it (dozens). On occasion, it may take you a strange route but not often and you'll still arrive at your destination.

3. Don't know. I have only 700 miles on mine. As previously posted, the Spec B's have softer compound summer tires and will likely wear out quickly.

4. The incentives seem to be based on geographic SOA distribution region. I got $2,000 cash back at signing in May. That offer is discontinued. Your best bet is to frequently check Subaru.com and put in various zip codes.

5. Save money for mods. It's addictive.

6. Star Subaru in Bayside Queens is where I got mine from. Great experience.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

5. Save money for mods. It's addictive.

:whore:

Best advice.

I've got 24 mods on my car and bought the parts for 13 more, and the car's only 5500 miles old! :eek:

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I know what you mean... I just barely broke 2,000 miles. :p

-Mike-

I've seen the pix on the other board, very impressive.

I'd love to be doings mods but getting the car is my first priority. Number 2 would then be finding a place to work on it. It pains me I can't even change my own oil because I have to park on the street. Ahh, the joys of living in NY.

Thanks to everyone for the answers to my questions. I'll def. keep close tabs on subaru.com to find the right time to pounce.

As far as the navi, I have an Alpine sat-based system currently and I find it's the same thing. Sometimes it takes me bass-akwards ways, but it always gets me close enough where common sense can get me the rest of the way.

I've seen the pix on the other board, very impressive.

I'd love to be doings mods but getting the car is my first priority. Number 2 would then be finding a place to work on it. It pains me I can't even change my own oil because I have to park on the street. Ahh, the joys of living in NY.

Thanks to everyone for the answers to my questions. I'll def. keep close tabs on subaru.com to find the right time to pounce.

As far as the navi, I have an Alpine sat-based system currently and I find it's the same thing. Sometimes it takes me bass-akwards ways, but it always gets me close enough where common sense can get me the rest of the way.

Don't feel bad. I'm in the same boat. I have to park my truck in the street. I refused to do so for the Spec B in the city so I rented a locked, private, outdoor space behind a building. Can't really jack it up there though :( . I'm taking my car to WhiteTiger (hopefully) for some work soon.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

1. Any technical problems on the '06's that have surfaced that I should know about going into it?
  2. Is the navigation relatively accurate? (I'm a volley EMT and sometimes use my car to meet the rig on scene if I'm close-by and would hate to get lost cause of poor navigation)
  3. What's the mileage rating on the tires? And, has anyone had to pony up for replacements? Ballpark costs?
  4. I saw the other thread about incentives in the NY area - the dealer I've been talking to told me there were currently none, anyone have any more insight into this?
  5. Anything else a non-current Subie owner should know before making the jump?
  6. Tri-state (NY) area dealer insights?

1. I've had no problems with the car and, so far, Subaru has not issued any recalls or service bulletins applicable to the spec.B.
  2. I've had a few navigation glitches. Once, near my home (rural) when it thought a dead-end was a through street (I'd instructed the system to avoid highways). Also, it appears Manhattan changed its traffic flow patterns (one-ways) since its digital maps were created. Generally, though, it's very good, although I wish my passenger could enter addresses and look up points-of-interest while the car is moving with hacking the system.
  3. The treadwear rating on the tires is 140. The fact that they are summer tires was a problem I had to solve shortly after buying the car last October because I couldn't just park the car whenever the temperature fell below freezing. I ended up buying a nearly-new set of 17" rims off a 2006 WRX TR over at the NASIOC classifieds for $500 and bought a set of performance snow tires from Tirerack.
  4. I doubt there will be any more incentives for the spec.B until the 2007 version is allocated to dealers on a non-Sold-Order basis, which probably won't happen until late in the year.
  5. Yes. You should be aware that the 2007 spec.B has significant improvements over the current model, most notably, a 6-speed manual transmission. See http://vocuspr.vocus.com/vocuspr30/DotNet/Newsroom/MultiQuery.aspx?SiteName=Subaru&Entity=PRAsset;PRAsset;PRAsset;CUSTOM&PublishType=Press+Release;Product+Information;Product+Specs;SubaruPhotos&XSL=ProductInfoNew&Title=Product+Info&SiteTitle=Legacy+Product+Info&SF_PRAsset_PRAssetType_Name=Legacy&Cache=False for more details. You should also be aware of the Subaru VIP Partners program, described here.
  6. I bought mine from Colonial in Danbury, CT. They are one of top ten dealers in the country volume-wise and the experience was excellent. If you're willing to drive farther, you should consider Van Bortel in the Rochester area, which is usually the #1 dealer in the country. They sell all their cars no-haggle at dealer invoice plus $400.

I'll throw in my $0.02.

1. No technical problems at all! This car is solid and well put together. You may find, especially if you come from a car that has good brakes (like my STi), the brakes feel kinda spongy. I heard the fix is a simple install of Goodridge stainless steel braided lines. I plan on doing that to mine soon. One thing of note though, the seats are VERY fragile. I scuffed one with only light pressure, sliding something in the seat and on the driver's side, the leather stretched from something on the side bolster and looks black. I'm gonna contact my local Suby dealer and see if they will warantee it. One other, the upgraded radio sounds FANTASTIC... with the windows up, not nearly enough power to overcome road noise. A simple speaker upgrade from the upgraded speakers should help.

2. First... I should tell you that the spec.B uses a Kenwood nav system. Very friendly and easy to use. I still need to find out how to disable the lockout that removes NAV features though. That is a PITA!!! I have never gotten lost with the Nav. OK, that's not entirely true, one time I tried to find my way through a newly redesigned section of roadway and found that the unit didn't know which way to send me. But that's to be expected for recent traffic changes. Also, I have found on, not many, but more than one occasion, the unit will tell me either to do a couple of U-turns to go straight, or take me on a scenic tour of a neighborhood, just to put me back on the main road a couple blocks down, frustrating, but amusing.

3. Dunno about the milage. I've got 6000 miles on the car and haven't seen any signs of wear. They are not as sticky as my RE070s (need replacing at around 22,000 miles or less), but they very capable on both dry and wet roads, and seems to be a good compromise of comfort/longevity and performance. I will be getting the spec.B recommended RE050As again.

5. Ya... do it. But do your homework first. Before getting this car, seriously consider the Audi A4 quattro. It is a comparable car in performance, but seems to be more pleasing on the interior, HOWEVER, the spec.B still out-performed it in every performance test, but lost the overall pick due to the interior (which I find to be quite pleasing, thank you very much). In the next sentence of the review it said that the editors' picks all were the spec.B based on the fact that it will run circles around anything in it's price class and was cheaper by a LARGE MARGIN compared to the cars it was being placed up against. (It was a road&track review, I picked up the small article in the Suby dealership, they should have a copy of the test if you swing by there and ask). Also, driving a 4WD car, especially a turbo one, is different from any other driving experience. It is by FAR the most well balanced, reasonably priced, best kept driving experience in America today... hands down!

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any other requests for subjective reviews.

I can't answer all of your questions, as I am a nubie Spec B owner as well as poster. But after 3 days there is not another car on the road that I would rather be driving right now. And I am completely serious.

Maybe something will come up that I won;'t like about this car, but right now? Right now it's looking like a VERRRRRRY long honeymoon.

Good luck!

Archived