LegacyGT.com

2.2L mods

zadok

Has anyone on this forum ever modded the 2.2 platform?

When I installed my clutch & flywheel, I noticed that the 2.2 only has 1 exhaust port per side, which I did know, but what I didn't know was that if you reach your fingers up inside the exhaust port, it's all open on the inside where the other port should be, as on the 2.5L. So, i'm thinking about getting a set of 2.5 headers and boring out the second exhaust port on the block.

The only thing i'm really worried about is the car running to lean, and or too hot; b\c we all know how much soobs love to blow head gaskets.

Any comments?

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

(Stage 1 Exedy clutch, ACT flywheel, Custom Intake, JSPEC Hood, GT-B bumper, 17" SportMax Wheels, Premier DEH-P780MP, 40GB iPod)

- Jason

Rather than opening a new thread, has anyone ever heard of a supercharger application that with fit the 2.2 or 2.5 engines?

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

(Stage 1 Exedy clutch, ACT flywheel, Custom Intake, JSPEC Hood, GT-B bumper, 17" SportMax Wheels, Premier DEH-P780MP, 40GB iPod)

- Jason

thats pretty cool, but I was thinking of something that is bolt-on\actually made the the engine. I saw a couple of cars with superchargers, but can't find any of them now, other than the original baja that came with a supercharger, but that was a prototype.

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

- Jason

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone looking for 2.2L upgrades, here's the answer to the riddle!

Some parts from the Impreza and Legacy both work, and the 2.2L and 2.5L engines are not that different within the same years!

Parts from the 2.5 that fit with no to minor modification:

Clutch & Flywheel, Exhaust, Wheels, some Intakes(MAF or MAP)

Parts from 2.5L that fit with modifications:

Headers and some intakes.

Headers require drilling and porting the block to modify exhaust ports from single to dual. Intakes require cutting and welding or using silicone couplers.

(heads, pistons, cams, and internals are a waste of time, buy a different engine or car)

'99 Legacy 2.2L 30th.

- Jason

Archived