LegacyGT.com

Removing pet hair

I have a fawn (red) boxer, as seen in my avatar, and I have a black interior. I have been trying to keep my interior as clean as possible by putting down a blanket over the rear seat and tucking it in all the way around, but nevertheless his little red hairs get into the upholstry.

I have tried vacuuming the hair out, but it never seems to get more than 50% or so out. Does anyone have any neato tricks to get the hair out, or keep it from getting in? I seem to recall someone telling me that scotch guarding the seats would help, would that do any good?

Personally I keep my Boxer under the hood, so I don't have this problem. :D

Nothing keeps pet hair out like your doors do. If you keep your doors closed and your windows up, then the dog can't get in and therefore can't leave pet hair in the car. So if you insist on letting your dog ride in the car, then unless you shave him bald, there is no way to keep the hair off your seats. Scotch Guard will only make it harder to stain your seats. They will attract and trap dog hair just as easily as before. I would invest in those lint and pet hair sticky roller things. That is going to be your only savior if you can't travel without the dog.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
Yup, lint roller FTW. I've tried lots of vaccums and no matter how powerful, pet hair has to be removed with somoething sticky.

hmmm.....lint rollers don't always get it all. I have two black dogs. so I bought my car with dark interior to make sure I won't have this problem. Sure, I put a blanket down and vacuum after the rare occasions they are in the car.

With the Jeep Wrangler I had, we frequently had our two dogs and two yellow labs in the back. The carpet was grey....we were picking out light colored hairs with tweezers every time they went for a ride. :lol:

BAH! Unfortunately not letting him in the car is not an option, I only have the one car. Plus he loves to go for R-I-D-E's (have to spell it out around him :lol:).

I guess vacuum + lint roller + blanket = as good as its going to get.

Thanks all,

adam

I used to feel the same way as OCD, but after deciding to have a dog, he and I are at odds on this one. Part of the fun of having a wagon is getting to tote your pets around.

Get the Dyson "Animal" vacuum. It's a regular Dyson vacuum with a small attachment with a high-speed spinning brush, and it's worked wonders for us so far. It's also good for beds, couches, etc. since if you have dog hair in your car, you've probably got it everywhere. It's like $300 on Amazon, but totally worth it.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

• 7 months later...
Just give in to your dog-nature and eveything will be alright. I have the dog in my avatar (Suma) and a second (Finn) and there is hair and dust an inch thick in my car. I got rid of my old car exactly to purchase a fast wagon for the 'kids' I've had the car for almost a year and a half and haven't de-haired it once. :icon_surp Although, since apparently I find myself negotiating this thread, the time is drawing near...

I was worried about getting a ABP b.c of the light interior and having a year old Black Lab. Well to this day he has not been in my car, except for the hair that has been on our clothes, ect. We have an xB to tote him around in which has a dark interior and works out great. I will have to try the lint roller in the car, have only used it around the house so far.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Get the Dyson "Animal" vacuum. It's a regular Dyson vacuum with a small attachment with a high-speed spinning brush, and it's worked wonders for us so far. It's also good for beds, couches, etc. since if you have dog hair in your car, you've probably got it everywhere. It's like $300 on Amazon, but totally worth it.

The Dyson Granimal really works. We picked up the Purple Dyson about a year ago and was the beest way to clean up the dog hair from our Golden Retriever (rest in peace).

Cheers,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
try the ghetto method: get some packing tape and wind it around your hand adhesive out, and then pat away.........

<<< guilty :lol:

but effective ;) -- i keep an industrial size roll in the garage.

i'm positive my golden's locks have found their way to the moon by now :spin:

• 2 weeks later...
My dog sheds like crazy too, and I like to roll with the windows down and the sunroof wide open, so the hair never stays in the back of the wagon where the dog rides. Lint rollers FTW!

Archived