LegacyGT.com

What are these?

pillboy

Now, I know I am not stupid (although my wife will disagree), and I would "search" for this, but when you don't know what the hell they are called, it makes it kinda hard to search. I am talking about the plastic fins that stick down in front of the rear tires. Who knows what they are called, what function they perform and if I should replace the broken one on my wife's Outback (not the car in the picture)? The damn piece of plastic is over $65. Thanks in advance. There will NOT be prizes for most creative answer.

IMG_2839.JPG.4e991770a6a5827c65b5c94b33b4df4e.JPG

It is still ugly.

deflects air away from the tires.. it also causes a break in the air flow so that it can help part away the water from the front of the tires when it rains..

I must be really stupid. Can you explain this in more detail as to what exactly happens? Thanks.

It is still ugly.

I must be really stupid. Can you explain this in more detail as to what exactly happens? Thanks.

air hits the flaps

air gets diverted to the ground to blow away the water in front of the travel path of the tire

air also goes around the tire and wheel to keep things streamlined

Keefe

Thanks Keefe. I can believe the downward force of air blowing water off the road from in front of the tire, but I have a hard time with the air hitting the diffuser instead of the tire causing less wind resistance. :iam:
It is still ugly.

Damn! If the piece is that expensive people are going to start stealing them in the parking lot :(

when people start stealing these then I don't know what the world is coming to... :icon_twis

Archived