LegacyGT.com

Future of Subaru

akmaloney

I hate it when car makers take the "Buy more of what you don't want, and we might offer you what you want!" approach.

I don't recall which mfg it was, but I remember in a marketing class that a US manufacturer wanted to sell more cars in Japan. They currently only offered Left hand drive (wrong for Japan) in Japan.

They were told that sales would increase if they offered RHD cars. The execs decided that if the sales of the LHD increased, they would consider offering the RHD version.

That is back-asswards thinking.

-Allen

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an addendum.

I want a Legacy STi Wagon.

The Legacy GT MT Wagon came out, and I didn't buy it, because it wasn't the STi wagon.

So then they noticed the MT didn't sell well, so they ditched it.

And I didn't buy the Legacy GT Limited Auto, because it was even FURTHER from a Legacy STi wagon.

If they would have started with the Legacy STi wagon, I would have bought it.

Wagon. Blue. 6 speed. Alcantara seats. 250-300hp. = I'm a customer.

As it is, I'm currently considering the Volvo V50, and that sexy new Audi wagon.

-Allen

+ in 21st century to retool and bang out some Legacy Wagons with standard tranny should not be so difficult.

Whatever happened to just-in-time supply chain management and more importantly, CHOICES?

we can talk about it till we are too old to drive:lol:

bottom line is that whoever at SOA or higher decides the US model line up each year, obviously doesnt listen to what people have to say. They just look at some reports, trends analysis, more reports, and more number crunching and then overload and bad decision.

strategy could be very simple: GIVE US THE SAME CARS THAT JAPAN GETS, EVEN IF IT MEANS A YEAR DELAY, INCLUDING ALL THE SPECIAL EDITIONS LIKE BLITZEN, S204, ETC.

I dont want to hear that they cant do more integrated bumpers etc, imprezas and foresters get them. Give us the nice radios, extra engine covers, aluminium control arms, twin scroll turbos, how about some friggin sti accessories? whats up with that?

I am sure that majority of people would be willing to pay that extra 1-3K and get what they really want.

Other than that, I am awaiting anxiously the 08 models for both Legacy and Impreza

Peace

PS

PLtek,llc

+ in 21st century to retool and bang out some Legacy Wagons with standard tranny should not be so difficult.

Whatever happened to just-in-time supply chain management and more importantly, CHOICES?

One would think. They make fewer Impreza with automatics and to balance it out more Legacies with automatics. :lol:

My '96GT only came in automatic. Subaru didnt start producing the Limited model with a 5 speed until 1999. That only took 9 years hehe.

I must say that I am impressed that the Spec. B. only comes in a stick.

The question is, will the 340hp H6T engine which is set to appear in Tribeca find its way to Legacy/Outback line ?

I didnt know that that is actually going in the Tribeca. I would think at the current cost of gas few would buy it. 340hp to drive to soccer practice.

I'm not saying trade in your 5MT wagon for a 5AT-S 07, what I'm saying is spread the word, refer business to your local dealer and get people buying more leggies. I know very well how SOA's advertising is giving the short straw to the performance vehicles, hell, even the XT doesn't sell that hot. What sells for SOA is the lower end stuff, 2.5i/x versions of what we have. The performance niche is crazy about the product but the buying populous isn't buying what we want.

The thing is, I do. I tell anyone who will listen how great these cars are. I periodically trade cars with the wifey for a day so that I can let people feel the pull from this great powerplant. I've gotten a repuatation as quite the Subaru hoe-bag. And I think that this description probably fits most of the folks on this forum.

The thing is, I don't have a TV show. I don't write for an automotive magazine. I don't have the cash to put out flyers and brochures and ads proclaiming how great this car is.

That's SOA's job - and they're not doing it. Gee, I can't imagine why the 5MT GT wagons didn't sell very well. "First we didn't make many, then we didn't tell anyone about the ones we made. Where did we go wrong?":icon_mrgr

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I didnt know that that is actually going in the Tribeca. I would think at the current cost of gas few would buy it. 340hp to drive to soccer practice.

One would think, but have you noticed all the morons driving those hideous porsche and bmw "trucks" around? It's pretty unbelievable. Pretty much marking yourself as a complete non-enthusiast buying something like that.

I think I am more of a Subaru whore.

Agreed, the winding road commercials, though they were a good idea, are getting old. All their commericals are just meh or blah. How bout the Legacy approach where we have some guy talk the whole time and he sounds like he's important? Worked on my mom.

Get Bruce Willis to say this: (He advertized the Legacy for Japan) (Bruce wears a nice grey or blue suit, light colored shirt, and no tie, in a black space. Images show up in the black space beside him, as if projected.

Subaru is building a car that you might be interested in. The Subaru Legacy. (Show a Blue wagon and a silver sedan, and pan to get the side of the sedan, and rear quarter of the wagon, after showing the front of at least one of the two.)

It has All-Wheel-Drive traction for safety and performance in all weather. Subaru's All-wheel-Drive systems are used on all of their cars, and has been proven on rally courses all over the globe, in some of the harshest conditions possible (show clip of WRX STI jumping a gravel rally course, then an animated drawing of the drivetrain and wheels, showing the symmetrical layout.)

The Subaru Legacy has received the NHTSA highest saftety ratings (insert stats here) and employs a safety cage ring structure of several layers super high-strength steel. (show ring structure illustration of sedan and wagon, maybe impact test footage...) The Legacy is also built proudly by american workers in Indiana.

Subaru offers several engine options in the Legacy, with the standard 2.5i horizontally opposed "boxer" engine, (show simple boxer animated illustration) to the GT's 2.5 liter turbocharged engine with (horsepower/torque) and available 5-speed manual, 5-speed automatic with steering wheel shifting controls, and the Legacy Spec.B's (show picture of outside and inside of Spec B) STI-derived 6-speed manual transmissions.

Subaru Legacy. Think. Feel. Drive. (projection of Legacy GT starting to speed away into horizon.)

Stop by your Subaru Dealer, or visit Subaru.com to find out more. (show subaru stars oval logo, Legacy text (like trunk badge) and web address and fine print legalese on the black background, and then fade to all black for a fraction of a second before the cutoff.

No obnoxious music. no crazy gimmicks, no shouting. People will love the nice direct low-key commercial that talks plainly.

It will be different because it will be nice, instead of most obnoxious commercials.

If the pictures show clearly what the car and a few of the most basic technical terms look like, and speaks clearly and plainly... people will be interested, and refreshingly pleased at being talked to, not talked AT.

Couldn't agree more! We need more aggressive, less "mushy" ads. We don't even show the inside of the Tribeca... we show the FUGLY outside! My ad that I'd like to see is as follows:

Fancy coutry club/restaurant valet drop off. Pan through high end luxury/exotics and up pulls a black LGT sedan. A gentleman in a tuxedo gets out and the ad flips to a BMX/Lexus ad-like interior shot blah blah blah back to the guy in the tux. He dons a beat up "boony hat" and turns around... Its Paul Hogan saying "Yeah it's a Subaru".

Add back some humor, add some upscale/luxo ambience, and show the interior please! OK, its a little gimicky but it would get your attention.

It just seems to me like they would brought him back. I mean their sales were tremendous because of his outback boasting. You say Subaru to the typical American and they say, Crocodile Dundee and Subarus are Austrilian right?

hehehehe

(braces for flaming) as my next car will be wagon of some kind, if SOA doesnt do the right thing with the legacy, I would seriously consider an H6TT Tribeca. I am in the minority on here who think that in the right color (darker ones) it is a nice design.

TT ain't gonna happen... but you will see more power ;) ;)

IWSS: "Just some kids having fun" :lol:

:hide: I know nothing.

Seriously, I know nothing other than Subaru is supposed to address the Tribeca's shortcomings in due time... they started with mem seats, XM, aux jack, back-up camera, etc for 07... we'll have to see what 08 brings.

COBB is addressing the power shortcomings by releasing a supercharger for it

PS

PLTek,llc

Seriously, I know nothing other than Subaru is supposed to address the Tribeca's shortcomings in due time... they started with mem seats, XM, aux jack, back-up camera, etc for 07... we'll have to see what 08 brings.

One of the shortcomings is a 3.0 engine in a 4000+ pound vehicle. The 3.0 H-6 is a great engine—but not in that vehicle.

What it needs is a 3.5 (or larger) low-rpm torque-friendly boxer engine, and tuned to run on regular grade fuel, like the 3.5 Toyota V6 found in the new RAV4.

Bob

Archived