LegacyGT.com

Polish/Sealant fresh paint??

I heard you aren't supposed to use any type of wax, polish, or sealant on paint until you have given it like 3 months to cure. I just ordered some eyelines that are being painted before shipped out. I wanted to wolfgang polish and sealant them before I put them on but don't want to hurt the paint. Do I really have to wait or is that just BS?

Your car was painted a long time ago. In fact, factory paint jobs are heat cured anyway, so there isn't any need to wait at all. You can wax as soon as you pick it up from the dealership. It is aftermarket body work that isn't heat cured that you have to wait with.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

What's the average waiting time until you can polish/seal after a respray? I recently had my roof resprayed. It looks good, but I don't want to polish too soon.

Actually, it'll probably be at least one month before I have time to detail again. By then, it should be good to go.

You should probably just go by whatever time the paint shop tells you. If they tell you 90 days then you better wait 90 days. If the paint starts to peel off in 30 days then they will try to blame it on you polishing it before they said to. I would suggest that you stick to whatever time frame they tell you just so you have a warranty claim if something does happen. In all honesty, if the paint is going to peel off at 30 days then it is likely going to peel off in 90 days too, so you really lose nothing by waiting.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Good point.

Fortunately, I fully detailed the entire exterior before the roof was resprayed. Provided there isn't any overspray anywhere else (and there doesn't appear to be), I can deal with not touching the roof for a little while longer.

Archived