LegacyGT.com

2007 US spec.B Has No Precat!

Jon in CT

These were first posted on NASIOC. The spec.B was outfitted as an SPT demo.

Good News: No PreCat. The 2007 spec.B (at least) is using the secondary air system to eliminate the need for a precat. That lump you see, where the 2005-6 oil fill tube used to be, is an air pump for the secondary air bypass system.

http://users.adelphia.net/~ajhuba/STPR2006/images/IMG_1055.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~ajhuba/STPR2006/images/IMG_1056.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~ajhuba/STPR2006/images/IMG_1057.jpg

I'd take the pre-cat over the air pump any day.
I'll bet that 99.9% (Ivory pure) of people interested in performance will disagree. No precat ready to break off. No EGT sensor probe to break off. No obstructions in the turbo's upstream exhaust flow.

I imagine you're in the very extreme minority of LGT owners.

It doesnt really matter either way, most of us have put in an uppipe. Its just one less expense that the 07 owners dont have now.

No i know i have an STi catless UP in my WRX, but i just wanted to get my facts straight for the 07 LGT.

SPT everywhere in that engine! Love those seats too!

I'm betting they threw all those SPT parts on there for display only of things you can buy, i doubt all those goodies would be included off the bat :confused:

Jon - Welcome to May! I mentioned the air pump after seeing the car in person at the Subaru Motorsports day. How is this news, except that it was posted on Nabisco?

LOL. Nice eBaum-style avatar.

I don't think any of the above is correct. Most likely, this is simply a butt swipe at the suede inserts going against the grain. Kind of like when you vacuum a thick carpet one way or another.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I actually prefer the pre-cat.

That way when I swap out for a header/UP I get no pre-cat and no air-pump.

I think it is easier to swap out an UP (especially when you are doing DP or header anyways) then get rid of the air-pump.

On second thought, that air pump brakcet would work really well for a Supercharger, like what VW is doing. SC to 2500-3000 rpms and then the turbo takes over.

Need more money!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

It also looks like someone had an accident on that blue alcantara driver's seat :iam:

no... it's like suede...rub it one way and it's dark... the other it's light...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it is easier to swap out an UP (especially when you are doing DP or header anyways) then get rid of the air-pump.

For the last time people the air pump does not cause a performance hit!!!! It is used during the first minute of cold startup only to reduce emissions, after that it is off!!!!

It weighs more (where you don't want the weight, in the front) and takes up space.

One more drag inducing item on the drivetrain, causing a slight loss in hp and less engine willingness to rev.

One more thing to go wrong.

Since I like to keep the warranty, I would probably prefer the air pump since I don't have to worry about PreTurboCatalyticIngestion and I get better spool.

You can lose more weight if you hit the gym.

I keed I keeed

The secondary air bypass system would still function after installing an aftermarket header.

When you first go wide open throttle (throttle tip-in) after an upshift, the ECU briefly uses a very rich A/F mixture with retarded spark advance in order to avoid knock. That means there's a lot of unburned gasoline in the exhaust and the exhaust is coming out very hot. In the meantime, the turbo has spooled down while you were shifting. It seems like it might be possible to change the ECU's programming to turn on the secondary air bypass system during throttle tip-in in order to get the turbo spooled up faster.

Archived