LegacyGT.com

Stock horn has got to go!

Daedalus

The stock horn on the LGT is too whimpy. It's almost embarasing to use.

I really liked the way my GTI's horn sounded. It was deep and was more of a, "HEY STOP DRIVING LIKE A JACKASS." instead of the LGT's ,"excuse me sir/madam...".

Are the Super Tones the only option? How do they sound?

Daedalus,

Hey bro, I hear (no pun intended) ya.....

The Hella units are more "European" in sound - also, they are more directional than most aftermarket units. Many describe their effect as being "front firing" assault weapons.

If you're looking for a more "omnidirectional" and/or deeper sound, simply stop by your favorite local automotive parts store, they typically carry many different replacement/aftermarket horns.

Not saying that the Hella's are "bad" or "insufficient," by any means - just pointing out what they are. ;) As a matter of fact, I have plans to remove my stockers to add-in a pair of the Hellas to supplement my low-note horn for best "highway" use.

My setup now:

I slaved a low-note, 125 dB unit to my stockers (since I don't tend to just hold the horn down for minutes on-end, I felt no need to run a separate relay for this setup, particularly as it was just a single added horn, tapped off both power wires from the stocker setup).

I have absolutely no fear of either inattentive drivers talking on their cells or with their stereos "too loud," nor do I fear the nearly-deaf elderly drivers who sometimes stray out of their lanes.

When I get on the horn (which is a RARE event for me, since I'm typically a very laid-back driver), people *MOVE*. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i was walking in the city one day and a guy in his car had an aftermarket horn and used it while driving by me. I dont know how to describe it, but my insides actually started to hurt....what kind of horn does that?

^ ROFL - The mythical "brown note!" :D:lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

i have a set of hella supertones installed right behind my RBS grill

it's loud and love the look of it!!

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Maaan, I was ROTFL here with this train horn...

Loved it, but can't afford 1500 dollars!!!!

heheheh

Does anyone know another train horn way cheaper?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

haha you can get a full kit for 250-300$, I'm convincing my friend with a f250 diesel (whos horn is broke) to get one, hey if your gonna replace it might as well go aftermarket right? :lol:

i think hellatones are nice. I would paint them black though, im not a fan of the red behind the grill

+1 ..... that's what i did.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Landshark/27703.JPG

I just received a set of Wolo Mini but Loud horns today in the mail to compliment the supertones in my Corolla, there's like no space in in the engine compartment and these they say don't require a relay and can use stock wiring. We'll see about that.

These are 100db and I can't find any reviews of them online but they're cheap and don't need additional hardware and will most likely fit in stock locations.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029XGAU/104-6026241-5526334?v=glance&n=15684181[/ame]

100db is not very loud. There are exhausts that are louder than that.

By that statement there are exhaust so loud you'll go deaf so what's your point?

Their website claims 110Db but we'll see. Even the Supertones are rated at 118Db but come in two sets with varied frequencies on both.

I have Supertones installed before and I'll see if these are worth it if not only $20 but still an upgrade over stock horns in other Jap cars I have.

100db is not very loud. There are exhausts that are louder than that.

^ True, but the exhausts are facing out the back of the vehicle. :)

Now, though, if you've "only" got a 100 dB horn, trying to get the attention of a riceburner whose rear fender is about to take out your front....well, that's gonna be an interesting contest to see who "wins!" :D

By that statement there are exhaust so loud you'll go deaf so what's your point?

Their website claims 110Db but we'll see. Even the Supertones are rated at 118Db but come in two sets with varied frequencies on both.

I have Supertones installed before and I'll see if these are worth it if not only $20 but still an upgrade over stock horns in other Jap cars I have.

I remember that my stock horns had 113db printed on them, so new horns @ 110db is still no improvement.

My point being - stick with the stockers.

Archived