LegacyGT.com

General ?'s about lowering

bbeast

I just purchased lowering springs (ION) and new wheels (18x8 SSR GT-7) and tires (225/40/18). Before installing them, I wanted to find out what I should be looking out for as I am relatively new to upgrading the suspension.

1) Is there an order I should be installing these parts? Like, should I put the wheels on before I have the springs installed (I am having someone else install the springs as I don't want to mess it up)? Will it make a difference to the installer if I have the stockers on?

2) Will I need an alignment after the springs and wheels are installed and I have allowed the springs to set? Is that standard practice or even necessary?

Thanx in advance for the help.

The wheels have to come off in order to install the iON's, so it really doesn't matter what wheels you've got on the car! Go ahead and bolt on the new ones as soon as you get them, if you want. An alignment is definitely recommended after lowering the car... although not everybody does one. Sounds like you're just a tad nervous about the new parts, so I'd say go ahead with the alignment for your peace of mind. It's probably best to wait a week or two after the install, though, so the springs have a chance to settle. You can tell your mechanic that the upper bolt on the lower front shock mounts is the camber adjustment, so if he marks the position (on the rear side) he should be able to put it back together the same way.

I've spent the day learning this the hard way: trying to do my own iON install!! By myself, and without power tools. And I have to admit defeat! Got the rears done, finally, and the fronts are out, but there's no way I can get the front shock assemblies disassembled with hand tools. So the project is on hold until I can get my buddy to help me out with his impact wrench tomorrow afternoon. No worries; good Subie bonding time.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Top bolt on the shock is definitely more 'accesible' on the rear. I can't get my offset wrench onto the bolt on the fronts - it's a tighter surround. As it was, I had to go buy a deeper offset wrench for the rears, and it's close to working on the front - maybe it *could* work if it was done just right - but I'm not coordinated enough to get it off. It's OK, I was ready to call it a day, anyway... it'll just be an hour tomorrow to put back together, after my buddy helps me swap the springs.

Power tools FTW.

The process is pretty simple; I never really even looked at the walk-through instructions I had printed out except to check some torque specs. But some of the bolts are really tight, a couple are hard to reach, and using spring compressors is always a PITA. I admit I cheated a little at the start: I had the muffler shop at the end of the street loosen the two rear lower shock bolts for me, since I had read that those were ridiculously tight: ten bucks very well spent!

Thanx for the response, Scooter. I've done all sorts of DIY suspension work to my truck and could never get the thing to ride like I thought it should. I just didn't know how the legacy responds to lowering, so that was my real purpose for asking....

• 2 weeks later...
^ Let it "settle" a bit - wait about a week or two - then head in for an alignment. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived