LegacyGT.com

auto or manual?

You just have to take the sane advice of a few here and a) drive both. and b) buy the one that will fit your needs the best. and ignore the haters. The guys who say "I'll never buy an auto".. well dont listen to them. and the guys that don't know how to drive a manual or are "tired of shifting all the time" and wont buy a stick ever again are just as biased. Thats like asking a Ford guy.. should I buy a Mustang or an Impala?

The performance issue is <very> small. You are buying a Legacy for many reasons and I doubt you are buying a 4 door sedan (or wagon) for drag racing. There are plenty better options out there for 1/4 mile speed.

Do you work downtown? or in a conjested area where you see alot of traffic? Will the car see alot of highway miles or city miles? do you have kids? there are all kinds of factors that come into play with this decision, but the best answer would be.. go with is most comfortable to you.

The 5EAT Legacy is not nearly as laggy as your common auto. plus you have the option of leaving it in manual mode.

I've had many different cars over the years both auto and manual. It all boils down to comfort and application. I didnt feel "disconnected from the road" in the E60 M5 I had with paddle shifters. Ive driven a 360 modena Spyder with paddle shifters too.. just because theres not a 3rd peddle to play with didnt make the grin on my face any shorter. Nobody seems to make fun the 750HP GTO sitting in my garage that has a powerglide Automatic. But maybe thats because its a 10 second car.

I find it funny to watch people hate one way or the other. I will never say "ill never own another (__insert trans__) car ". because thats just ignorant.

If you are reall concerned with the performance aspect go with a manual, however..

There are some of us that have a 5EAT with tuning and bolt-ons who can eat a cheeseburger, talk on the cellphone and still make a 12 second 1/4 mile pass (see official thread) while the guy next to us "feels more connected" playing with his stick.

-Tronix(Judge Dredd)GT

It's not ignorant. Some people have passion. You can keep your GTO - I would by far rather drive an old BMW 2002 with a 4 speed, or an original Datsun 240 z. Hell, I'd take my underpowered miata over anything in your garage any day. If its an auto, then I might as well be a passanger. Unlike you, however, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong. Drag racing is even more boring than oval racing.

to each his own - I think your interests are pretty unattractive, but I wouldn't call you ignorant just because I completely disagree with you.

Have fun bolting crap on your boring cars to make them faster in the quarter mile. Yawn. Why don't you just remove the steering rack while you're at it to save weight?

=)

Oh, and finally, when you say you'd rather eat a cheeseburger in your car than shift gears, well, that just about says it all. but hey, any time you need to be chauffered somewhere, please do give me a call - I'm always looking for excuses to row the gears.

x2 on the ignorant comment. I really won't buy a daily driver without a manual transmission. Sure, there are great cars out there without manuals. Wouldn't turn down a E55 AMG wagon, or a SRT8 magnum. Same goes with a classic muscle car for the weekends.

But if I have to spend my money on a car that I will have to drive on public roads on a daily basis, it will have a manual transmission. Will not consider a car without one.

Now to get back on topic. :D

You won't get sick of driving a manual from the I perspective. Becomes second-nature very quickly. Also think the manual transmission gets the driver a little more directly connected with the car, especially with the turbo and drive-by-wire on the LGT.

I was in thhat positon and I went with a 5EAT partialy because I live in a major city. I also have an injury to my left knee that still acts up at times and the day I did it I was driving my friends MT Civic home and the 2 hour drive was pure pain, I was on a cane for a few months after.

Would I like to own a manual? Yes but as a weekend or second car. Do i regret getting a 5EAT? Not at all. Its a great trans that can handle almost as much power at the wheels as the MT. The Legacy 5EAT also benifits more from meth injection then the MT.

In the end you have to look at you and what you will be using the car for and decide. What ever you decide you will have a great car that is fast and handles well.

I second this, manual for week-end auto for urban driving. Lolhttp://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

I am constantly amazed that this discussion keeps popping up every month or so, and am also amazed that anyone would ask, "What should I get?"

Get whichever YOU prefer. In slow traffic an automatic is wonderful. On the open road a stick is faster and can be more "fun" for an involved driver. The other arguments like fuel economy or brake pad wear are pretty much irrelevant to the real world.

Just remember - Three pedals are always better than two (unless your driving in Formula-1). (purely a personal opinion that should be disregarded as most free Internet advice!. Do your research by driving both, and make your OWN choice.

Please disregard all of the above.

Happy Motoring!

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL

MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL

Did I say Manual?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

After owning 6 manuals I naturally looked for a local manual OBXT. Not one local so I caved and got an auto. I don't regret it b/c I know one day, I'll get another manual, plus now I can sit in traffic with out ever moving my left foot (okay lame excuse).

Just get the manual, I mean auto, no manual, no...

Since you are in NorCal, how long is your commute? How much time do you spend in stop & go traffic? How often do you go into the city(SF)? If you spend any time doing any of what I just mentioned, get the auto. If you spend any time driving a manual going uphill in SF in stop & go traffic where you never completely let out the clutch before you need to stop, driving a manual gets old really fast.

With the 5EAT, if you don't brake torque it to launch the car, you are still doing 0-60 in under 7 seconds which is fast enough to pass most cars on the road.

word.. im from stockton.. i don't commute... hardly drive in the city.. if i do it's not in my own car... so yeah def. wouldn't be a problem.. thanks for the pm as well.

Brake pads don't wear when you are stopped. The only reason there's less brake wear is you are doing more engine braking when you downshift coming to a light.

yes. after over thousands of miles though, it does add up and when you're in neutral there's less pressure on the brakes for the brakes to keep the car still as opposed to an automatic.

This discussion is pretty lame and it does come up a lot as LotusSeven stated and in all honesty I can say there is no right or wrong answer to the question. All I can say is that for MY needs a MT is not for ME but the 5EAT is right for ME. Do I regret it no, would I like a manual yes, but I can't get driving one for 2 hours with a praticaly torn MCL (liggament on the inside of your knee) and how painfull it was every time I hit the clutch out of my head. Up until then driving a manual was very fun, I did enjoy it and it was a treat when I got to drive one, that just showed me that it can be a chore at times in a harsh way.

Both have good points and bad and we really should be trying to help this guy out insted of stating why they like whatever they like and why not the other. It starts out like that but then someone gets all pissy about someone making a comment and starts bashing, and it is usualy an AT driver, lets face it we do get bashed more. I was just at a meet tonite and got ripped on for driving an AT but it was all joking, one of my friends took my car around a parking lot and said 0h n0es what happend to your clutch? I responded with 0h n0es where did your turbo go? No one got pissy we just laugh at our crack on each others cars.

All I am saying is you gys take this way to seriously (MT and AT drivers) and should be helping the poster of the thread make a decison rather then getting into a flame war.

Anyway good luck on getting your car, test drive bothe, and use the manual mode on the 5EAT, also IF you can rent a manual or swap with a friend for a week or so that would be good too jst to get a better impression of what you are getting into with a manual. A manual does require more work and it can be a disadvantage in some areas but it is more fun in many others well an auto is put it in drive and go conveinance and less fun in some cases. Look at what your driving habits are and see how both would be negitive and positive and you will find the right answer for you.

This discussion is pretty lame and it does come up a lot as LotusSeven stated and in all honesty I can say there is no right or wrong answer to the question. All I can say is that for MY needs a MT is not for ME but the 5EAT is right for ME. Do I regret it no, would I like a manual yes, but I can't get driving one for 2 hours with a praticaly torn MCL (liggament on the inside of your knee) and how painfull it was every time I hit the clutch out of my head. Up until then driving a manual was very fun, I did enjoy it and it was a treat when I got to drive one, that just showed me that it can be a chore at times in a harsh way.

Both have good points and bad and we really should be trying to help this guy out insted of stating why they like whatever they like and why not the other. It starts out like that but then someone gets all pissy about someone making a comment and starts bashing, and it is usualy an AT driver, lets face it we do get bashed more. I was just at a meet tonite and got ripped on for driving an AT but it was all joking, one of my friends took my car around a parking lot and said 0h n0es what happend to your clutch? I responded with 0h n0es where did your turbo go? No one got pissy we just laugh at our crack on each others cars.

All I am saying is you gys take this way to seriously (MT and AT drivers) and should be helping the poster of the thread make a decison rather then getting into a flame war.

Anyway good luck on getting your car, test drive bothe, and use the manual mode on the 5EAT, also IF you can rent a manual or swap with a friend for a week or so that would be good too jst to get a better impression of what you are getting into with a manual. A manual does require more work and it can be a disadvantage in some areas but it is more fun in many others well an auto is put it in drive and go conveinance and less fun in some cases. Look at what your driving habits are and see how both would be negitive and positive and you will find the right answer for you.

cool post thanks alot for the help. its pretty much down to me test driving them both in a couple weeks. i'll update later.

Did I say Manual?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Unless you absolutely need the convenience, see the post above.

Did I say Manual?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

:stupid:

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

cool post thanks alot for the help. its pretty much down to me test driving them both in a couple weeks. i'll update later.

Glad to help, just be sure to let us know what you got and psot up some cool pics too. Just so you know if you are planning on getting rims for your car you can search for an 04 STi and get many more options, at least on ww,tirerack.com you do lose the feature of being able to see them on an Legacy and have to look on an STi insted but use your imagination.

- 45 years ago my Beetle was manual

- for the next 25 years I drove US cars with auto

- for the past 20 years our 2nd car (initially for teenagers) were manual ( Honda Civics) ..We felt that their small engines needed the 5 gears.

If we get the 2.5i

we will go 4EAT. Time to keep both hands on the wheel. That would be my only concern.. i.e... driving in city involves a fair percentage of time with only 1 hand on the wheel.

Oh... and once I messed up my leg/back windsurfing and could not use the clutch so wife had to drive me to physio.

PS:

Replacing clutch in Civic at 300,000 cost about $1400 -- cheaper than a full auto.

Archived