LegacyGT.com

auto or manual?

really tough decision for me right now. apparently i am hearing that the autos don't really do well with the turbo for the LGTs.. however i have never driven a stickshift before and people keep telling me how i'm not going to like it...

actually i've LEARNED stick, but not actually owned a car or continuously driven one. i THINK i want the stick, but honestly i don't know if i'm going to get sick of it within a year...

can i get some feedback from people who currently have autos and what their opinion is on why they got the auto?

i'm literally weeks away from purchasing one of these, i just need to make up my mind.

btw i'm coming up from a 1991 740 volvo.

The legacy Manual is very easy to drive, getting the car going is a very easy process. Shifting gears smoothly does take alittle practice though, once you get it down, you will never dream of getting the Auto.

Many people do buy the 5EAT (acronm for automatic, its used here alot, if you didnt know that already) because they dont want to roll thru the gears themselves anymore; however the manual is the superior transmission in the legacy GT, in my opinion.

I love my car ... basically.

I have the automatic, which I bought with some reservations, primarily performance reservations. Also I prefer the look of the wagon over the sedan and I could not find a manual GT wagon. However I drive in a lot of traffic and the automatic is easier on me in those cases.

My suggestion is drive both. The Automatic is NOT a dog by any stretch and from a rolling start it is verrrry fast, from a dead start you loose a little to the turbo/auto lag.

Like others have said, drive both! If you like to drink coffee on your morning commute then get the auto:icon_tong . If you wnat to "be in charge" get the stick.

Coming from a '91 M1 Abrams MainBattleTank, er I mean Volvo 740, the 5EAT will seem like a Rocket!!:icon_twis

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I have the auto. I was in the same position as you and decided that the auto would be better for me. This car will be my daily driver for years to come, so I figured that an auto would be better.

I autocross regularly and drag race occasionally. (Last night I ran a 14.1 with Cobb Stage 1) The turbo lag isn't a problem for drag if you power brake. For autocrossing, I keep the transmission in manual mode. I love the auto for autoX. I only have to worry about 2 pedals and downshifting into 1st for a hairpin is no problem. In a manual you either have to heel-toe it or just stay in 2nd and eat the turbo lag coming out. I just tap the shifter into first, throttle steer through the turn and power out.

Get the manual. This has been discussed ad nauseum ad nauseum here, to death, and everyone has an opinion.

My wife learned to drive a manual 95 Legacy wagon (our first subaru) and after about a year of getting used to it, refuses to drive an auto unless under duress, like me. I don't mind stop and go traffic even - it's all about feel, and once you have the feel, it's over, and you don't want to drive an auto anymore.

Get the manual transmission, and after a year, if you don't love it yet, get rid of it. The car will be relatively rare =\ so you wont lose much money on it.

btw, all of these discussions about how fast a car with an auto is, especially if it is modified, is a bunch of bs. The discussion is which car you want to drive, not whose car can do what with which mods from some jose's garage.

Drag racing. meh. give me a road.

I was in the same boat as you. Ended up getting and learning stick. the first month I thought what did I do I am going to hate this. After that it started coming natural and now I hate driving auto's. It just feels more like you are driving the car then with auto were you can tend to feel disconected. And you can have alot more fun with the manual. IMHO

Since you are in NorCal, how long is your commute? How much time do you spend in stop & go traffic? How often do you go into the city(SF)? If you spend any time doing any of what I just mentioned, get the auto. If you spend any time driving a manual going uphill in SF in stop & go traffic where you never completely let out the clutch before you need to stop, driving a manual gets old really fast.

With the 5EAT, if you don't brake torque it to launch the car, you are still doing 0-60 in under 7 seconds which is fast enough to pass most cars on the road.

In a manual you either have to heel-toe it or just stay in 2nd and eat the turbo lag coming out.

try downshifting and understanding the spots of your car. if you can hang (daily traffic), the mt is where any driving enthusiast would want to go.

My wife learned to drive a manual 95 Legacy wagon (our first subaru) and after about a year of getting used to it, refuses to drive an auto unless under duress, like me. I don't mind stop and go traffic even - it's all about feel, and once you have the feel, it's over, and you don't want to drive an auto anymore.

btw, all of these discussions about how fast a car with an auto is, especially if it is modified, is a bunch of bs. The discussion is which car you want to drive, not whose car can do what with which mods from some jose's garage.

:whore::whore::whore:

I love my car ... basically.

You just have to take the sane advice of a few here and a) drive both. and b) buy the one that will fit your needs the best. and ignore the haters. The guys who say "I'll never buy an auto".. well dont listen to them. and the guys that don't know how to drive a manual or are "tired of shifting all the time" and wont buy a stick ever again are just as biased. Thats like asking a Ford guy.. should I buy a Mustang or an Impala?

The performance issue is <very> small. You are buying a Legacy for many reasons and I doubt you are buying a 4 door sedan (or wagon) for drag racing. There are plenty better options out there for 1/4 mile speed.

Do you work downtown? or in a conjested area where you see alot of traffic? Will the car see alot of highway miles or city miles? do you have kids? there are all kinds of factors that come into play with this decision, but the best answer would be.. go with is most comfortable to you.

The 5EAT Legacy is not nearly as laggy as your common auto. plus you have the option of leaving it in manual mode.

I've had many different cars over the years both auto and manual. It all boils down to comfort and application. I didnt feel "disconnected from the road" in the E60 M5 I had with paddle shifters. Ive driven a 360 modena Spyder with paddle shifters too.. just because theres not a 3rd peddle to play with didnt make the grin on my face any shorter. Nobody seems to make fun the 750HP GTO sitting in my garage that has a powerglide Automatic. But maybe thats because its a 10 second car.

I find it funny to watch people hate one way or the other. I will never say "ill never own another (__insert trans__) car ". because thats just ignorant.

If you are reall concerned with the performance aspect go with a manual, however..

There are some of us that have a 5EAT with tuning and bolt-ons who can eat a cheeseburger, talk on the cellphone and still make a 12 second 1/4 mile pass (see official thread) while the guy next to us "feels more connected" playing with his stick.

-Tronix(Judge Dredd)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

i bought 5eat b/c i commute in rush hr traffic most of the time depending on my schedule

but once in a while i like to use the sportshift and its pretty fun accept the lag in shifting in another gear...its no substitute for manual, but a fun gagdet to play with

I was in thhat positon and I went with a 5EAT partialy because I live in a major city. I also have an injury to my left knee that still acts up at times and the day I did it I was driving my friends MT Civic home and the 2 hour drive was pure pain, I was on a cane for a few months after.

Would I like to own a manual? Yes but as a weekend or second car. Do i regret getting a 5EAT? Not at all. Its a great trans that can handle almost as much power at the wheels as the MT. The Legacy 5EAT also benifits more from meth injection then the MT.

In the end you have to look at you and what you will be using the car for and decide. What ever you decide you will have a great car that is fast and handles well.

I'm pretty happy with my auto, if you plan on manually shifting it yourself with the automatic, then get the manual. While it's fun once in a while to shift yourself with the automatic, the delay in time it takes it to complete the upshift from when you push the shifters is a 600-700 rpm delay - too close to red line will cause you to bounce off the limiter.

if your buying the car for fun.....get the stick...when your in traffic...just leave room in front of you so you can ride one gear for a long time........like second……. I’m sure there aren’t to many people here that drive in as much traffic as much as I do....

How can that be when there is no clutch that needs replacing and the manual trans fluid needs to be replaced more often.

the subaru mechanic where i live told me that cars that are manual have less brake issues when used correctly

Archived