LegacyGT.com

Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread - Progress and Documents

SubLo

im still kinda lost on which type of rear view camera to get..

can i just get rear view cameras with RCA output?

when i tested the back up wiring i used a old 12v dvd player i had lying around. the camera i may use is a plate cam by crimestopper. it's a lisence plate frame with a camera molded in the top center. i know you do have to modify the lisence plate to make it fit, but it only needs a small hole drilled behind the plate to run the wire. it comes with a black or chrome finish so i might paint it body color before i install it.

go to www.crimestopper.com to check it out. the picture quality is great.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those interested, I have got a copy of the KNA-DV3200 service manual (with complete schematics etc). Its a 60 page 4MB PDF.

PM me for a copy.

Still trying to get Satnav audio coming through the front speakers :confused:

i used your service manual download to figure out the back up camera. it works flawless. the screen instantly changes to the backup video source when you throw it in reverse. it even overides the wake up and disclaimer screens. heres a pic of the back of the screen. thanks for the service manual.

looking at the back of the screen

-top right pin (1) is video + or the center pin of your rca jack

-bottom left pin (4) is video shield this is also the detection input

[ATTACH]19553[/ATTACH]

OK.. I NEED SOME TUTORIAL!

i took my car apart today, connected my digital camera to see if it really works, and it DOESNT WORK!

this is what i did.. i just plugged in RCA jack from my camera.. i know it's not the camera or the cable b/c it worked on my TV..

i tried the hookin up backup camera instead of my digital camera.. STILL DOESNT WORK.. the back up camera, when connected to my TV, works FINE..

of course i put my car in reverse everytime, (i even backed out a short distance to see if that'd make any difference) made sure my E-brakes were loose..

maybe its something that i forgot to do, or maybe its those extra pins next to RCA jack.. (vid+ & vid shield.. ? hm..)

was i supposed to do something with them too.. ? (PLIZ DONT LAUGH IF IM BEING DUMB.. LOL)

To enable reverse video you need to jumper your RCA connector to the square connector shown in the picture. The center pin of your RCA connector goes to the upper right pin in the square connector and the shield of your RCA connector goes to the lower right pin in the square connector.

If you want to view the video source connected to the RCA jack on the rear of the display, press the INFO button.

']

If you want to view the video source connected to the RCA jack on the rear of the display, press the INFO button.

Have you tried this with some video source on yours (game console, etc.)? I'm anxious to know. What do you see? Pixors please?

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Have you tried this with some video source on yours (game console, etc.)? I'm anxious to know. What do you see? Pixors please?
No I haven't - I relied on #072's posts. Also, when I mentioned the square connector used for rear-video-on-reverse, I meant the 4-pin connector that can be seen more clearly in this picture he posted of the rear of the display unit.

ATTACHMENT 19523

OK. Backup camera aside since that's already been accomplished, are you saying that the yellow RCA connector back there on our FGZ000UF2 is AUX Video in that you can switch to via the Info button? I want to be clear.

The Block Diagram from the manual seems to indicate that this is J800 RCA 1.AUX-V-IN2 2. AUX-DET 3. GND.

That would, for me anyway, negate the need to purchase the AVElectronic Video Switcher http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.htm

http://www.nyccs.net/images/lgt/SNAG-12.jpg

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

This is a bit off-topic but here goes. I'm thinking if J-803 (harness) Pin #7 is disconnected/severed, we might be able to enter data while moving. It appears to be the parking sensor.

WARNING: I'm not advocating that you try this, enter data while driving, or do anything other that would endanger lives. I'm saying this so that a passenger can enter data while moving.

:icon_mad: first of all.. Thanks Jon [in CT] for all your help!!

but i am in another trouble tho.. :'(

i jumpered the RCA jack like u told me, to square connector.. and it works.. but its not perfect..

for some reason, the screen gets broken horizontally into halves, showing broken image..

For example.. if i was looking at a person with the backup camera, then the person's legs would be on top half of the screen, and the person's upper body would be on the bottom half of the screen..

can u picture it.. ? i took a picture but it's dark outside and its really bad.. i couldnt use flash either b/c screen was reflecting too much.. hm.. anyways..

its not just the broken image but quality too is HORRIBLE.. ARGH!

it looks like the rear view camera function works automatically without needing me to press INFO button.. it just switches to the camera source automatically.. which is awesome..

now.. i know u've said that i could use RCA as a aux Vid-in using INFO button.. ?? how do i do that?? i've initially connected my camera to the RCA jack and pressed INFO button a thousand times and it never worked.. :icon_mad:

ah well.. i think imma work on Auto up/down windows tomorrow.. my rear view camera that i bought from crimestopper is a little bigger than i expected and i need to find a new place for it anyways..

anyone really installed (not just testing out) rear view camera yet??

:icon_mad: first of all.. Thanks Jon [in CT] for all your help!!

but i am in another trouble tho.. :'(

i jumpered the RCA jack like u told me, to square connector.. and it works.. but its not perfect..

for some reason, the screen gets broken horizontally into halves, showing broken image..

For example.. if i was looking at a person with the backup camera, then the person's legs would be on top half of the screen, and the person's upper body would be on the bottom half of the screen..

can u picture it.. ? i took a picture but it's dark outside and its really bad.. i couldnt use flash either b/c screen was reflecting too much.. hm.. anyways..

its not just the broken image but quality too is HORRIBLE.. ARGH!

it looks like the rear view camera function works automatically without needing me to press INFO button.. it just switches to the camera source automatically.. which is awesome..

now.. i know u've said that i could use RCA as a aux Vid-in using INFO button.. ?? how do i do that?? i've initially connected my camera to the RCA jack and pressed INFO button a thousand times and it never worked.. :icon_mad:

ah well.. i think imma work on Auto up/down windows tomorrow.. my rear view camera that i bought from crimestopper is a little bigger than i expected and i need to find a new place for it anyways..

anyone really installed (not just testing out) rear view camera yet??

Thanks for being bold. Yes! Someone has actually done it. PM #074 (that's his handle on this board). He's actually got it done and working properly with no complaints and no mention of poor quality. Though, he hasn't posted any pixors.

The 4-pin square plug is for the camera only and auto-switched as you mention. The RCA Aux-vid In probably won't work for you because your camera doesn't produce any voltage I'm guessing.

BTW, for reflective surfaces, you can get a good picture by taking the pic at an angle not 90 degrees with the flash in the dark.

This is a bit off-topic but here goes. I'm thinking if J-803 (harness) Pin #7 is disconnected/severed, we might be able to enter data while moving. It appears to be the parking sensor.

WARNING: I'm not advocating that you try this, enter data while driving, or do anything other that would endanger lives. I'm saying this so that a passenger can enter data while moving.

Just curious if anyone tried this....

• 2 months later...
This is an excellent thread, unfortunately the NAV system in the Legacy is different from the one in my Tribeca. I attached a pic of the back of the under seat NAV box. It doesn't have the RCA jack or the 4 pin connector like the one pictured in this thread. It does have a 3.5 mm jack, but I don't know what it is for. Anyone know how I can hook up a backup camera to this?

1475772291_TribecaNAVbox.jpg.fa49e11f26c8d15d467ede49b1db9bae.jpg

This is an excellent thread, unfortunately the NAV system in the Legacy is different from the one in my Tribeca. I attached a pic of the back of the under seat NAV box. It doesn't have the RCA jack or the 4 pin connector like the one pictured in this thread. It does have a 3.5 mm jack, but I don't know what it is for. Anyone know how I can hook up a backup camera to this?
The 3.5 mm jack is for an optional remote control sensor. You don't hook up the backup camera to the underseat nav component - it connects to the back of the display unit mounted in the dash.

As Jon mentioned, the picture in this thread is of the back of the display unit, not the control unit.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Thanks for clearing that up.

I paid the $35 for 72 hours of downloadable subaru service manuals and found out how to remove the NAV display unit. It is just like the one pictured in this thread. I hooked a video line to pins 1 and 4 on the connector and will send it video tomorrow.

On a similar note, Sam at AVI Electronics has a system for $475 that plugs in to the connectors on the underseat control unit and sends the display unit backup camera video. How they do that?

OK, this is getting frustrating. Took the Tribeca NAV dash apart again. Ran wires to the RCA jack and the square connector on the back of the NAV unit. Even got the correct Molex connector to use(the square connector)

I got nothing. No picture. Not even squiggly lines.

Took a small lcd monitor and board camera in the car. Verified that the camera was sending out video with the lcd. plugged the camera video out into the pins on the molex. Nothing. put it in reverse. Nothing. Pressed info. Nothing. tried plugging into the RCA jack on the back of the NAV. Nothing. tried using the lower right pin for the video shield instead of the lower left. Nothing.

Am I the only one here that can't get this to work? I don't see what I am missing.

I have successfully installed a backup camera in my '06 Tribeca. The posts here in this thread were immensely helpful, thank you.

What I have learned is that the camera or video source must be plugged in to the Nav display WHEN IT IS BOOTING UP, and also the shield or common line to the video source must be grounded to the car. If either of these do not happen, then the NAV will not switch on the video when in reverse. As a matter of fact, if you just ground the lower left pin of the molex connector and boot the system up, the screen will go blank when in reverse because it is expecting a camera to be hooked up.

If anyone is interested in the connector on the back of the unit, go to www.molex.com and search for 39-01-3042. That is the part number of the connector that plugs into the back of the NAV display.

I have attached some pictures.

1723163088_tribecadash.jpg.6a29a4f6831f7d8e2a74222d22b4ccec.jpg

1998658111_NAVback.jpg.f40425c4a24ff24bb2e940da9e875109.jpg

molex.jpg.4bcb60b474025e3a2fdfd39448ea918d.jpg

Sweet! Great information. Thanks.

You must post the obligatory tricycle in rear-view on your NAV screen.

:lol:

Now, if there were only a way to install the nav system on my GT, THAT would be great. Is there anyone that knows if the system is installable (NAV computer, harnesses and screen w/ housing), we could put together a "kit" to install this in non NAV cars.

Just shooting this up in the air as not even the 07 Spec B w/ NAV will come here to PR cuz it's something "not offered" to PR but we do get the nifty Winter Pkg here in the tropics. how screwed up is that? ;)

Now, if there were only a way to install the nav system on my GT, THAT would be great. Is there anyone that knows if the system is installable (NAV computer, harnesses and screen w/ housing), we could put together a "kit" to install this in non NAV cars.

Just shooting this up in the air as not even the 07 Spec B w/ NAV will come here to PR cuz it's something "not offered" to PR but we do get the nifty Winter Pkg here in the tropics. how screwed up is that? ;)

We figured out that the minimum parts necessary to retrofit nav into a non-nav Legacy would be close to $3k. I don't think the (fairly limited) factory navigation system would be worth that much to many people. And as Spinjockey mentioned, Subaru doesn't offer maps of PR... Heck the included maps with the cars don't even include Alaska.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Thanks guys, but as I said to the local dealer, there is so much more than just the NAVI and those of you with them know it. hell, now even a back up camera!

Granted, Garmin, Magellan, and TomTom have PR maps, but that is just navi and won't give me any more than that as opposed to the OEM system.

Where is the breakdown of the parts needed? Thread?

Archived