LegacyGT.com

Is "Average Joe" already impressed by new Leg..?

[quote name='TeeLoo']The blue/purple effect looks really nice and adds character to the car.[/quote] No one will know what type of car you're driving after being blinded by your HID's, but they will think it's expensive.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='gtmy04']The projectors are really very good - a huge improvement over the previous (ie US current) model. Good strong beam with defined cut-off. I really think the amount of discussion on the lack of HIDs is a bit over the top and related more to cosmetics than actual lighting performance. Just as another point of interest, the fog lamps are also projectors (H3).[/quote] Excuse my ignorance but what are projector lights exactly? Is it the light bulb I am pointing in orange? [img]http://www.legacysti.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=49&sid=8831e272054c501576a303227040c4d2[/img]

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='Gumby'] No one will know what type of car you're driving after being blinded by your HID's, but they will think it's expensive.[/quote] From the ones I observe in my rear view, they provide added brightness/lighting without the "blindness" effect to the driver in front or to the driver coming the opposite way on 2-laner routes.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Average Joe most likely doesn't even know much about GT version of Legacy Example: I don't consider myself being Average Joe(not anymore) The second half of last year I was looking for sporty car more like G35 or IS300 except I rather wanted AWD car. I checked Subaru line at that time and found that Legacy at that poing of time was underpowered for me, and WRX was simply too small (I'm a 29 years old family man), Forester too boxy ( I wasn't looking for wagon) and Outback didn't feel that sporty. So i set myself to wait for G35x(awd version) in december of 2003. When it came out it turned out to be too heavy. I run out options again... So I decided to wait until the end of 2004 to see what market will bring over then. There were rumors about internal redesign of G35, M35/M45 based on Fuga concept, Lexus plans to redo GS line for 2006 It's not like my car is dead and i need it now, and I want either car that very fun to drive or luxury car that still somewhat fun to drive(not FWD). Later i found on one of the forums something about Legacy B4 JDM and shortly there was anouncement about USDM GT version which sounds like just what I need. The Awerage Joe that needs a car right now, won't even look at Subaru. He'll just stick to his stereotypes and folow with biger name and biger waranty. Most people that come to testdrive a car, already set their mind to buy it, That's why subaru needs to work on making name more noticable(like crash test for Forester), So new Legacy is move in right direction. Now SoA just needs to add more options so people from upper level of market will be able to build up the car to comparable level with where they at. Now, the HID thing :P .....

[quote name='PPower']Did you guys show the USDM pictures or the non-USDM pictures? :P[/quote] I have the USDM wagon as my screensaver. The JDM car doesn't exist for me, as it doesn't exist in this market. Kevin

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Congratulations, you found your next car.. welcome to the world of CHEAP/FAST AWD! IT'S A HOOT! I simply won't buy a car without AWD anymore being in Wisconsin.. it's not an option. SUBARU ROCKS![/quote] Dido. That's why I don't want to see them really shooting for the BMWs and Audis, going to pull out the semi-inexpensive AWD market. Being in Wisco, AWD is SOOOOOO nice. I can't count how many times it came in really handy. I'd have been slipping and sliding with 2WD, but those 4 optional contact patches really do their job. One of my engineering professors isn't convinced though, he thinks FWD will handle all the same situations as good. :lol: One of the reasons I love lining up at a light when there's a few inches of powder or at least just slick, and keeping to my grip limits and watch those FWDers fall back fast. :D

Doesn't sound like much of an "engineer" if he thinks that FWD is as good as AWD.. that's a no-brainer. It's like the other cars don't even exist when there is bad weather... they are always about 30 car lengths behind me when taking off from a stoplight.. and I am not racing :lol:

I know, I couldn't convince him about the beauty of AWD. Maybe if we have some good snow before I graduate at the end of this year I'll get a chance to show him what AWD is all about. I know about the not racing part there Zevil, well they can't be racing if there is not contest. :lol: Sorta like a ferrari and a Metro, almost. ;) He just sees the drivetrain losses and the everyday MOSTLY dry driving as the small occasion need for AWD if any. I think we got talking on that when we were talking about Hybrids. Still the common word is that FWD is good for people to buy because it's the best platform. :roll:

Inclement weather is where these cars really shine. Probably why the majority of them are sold in the northern region. I think something like 80% of Mercedes sold in the northern half of the U.S. or maybe it's chicago or north is 4Matic units. The problem with the 'Average Joe' not knowing this info is how marketing is really done. I don't see enough good practical marketing about Subarus in the right time slots to be making a big impact. The Lance Armstrong commercials do little for sales IMO. I think the new Forester 'safety' commericals are a good start, one of the better ones to show how your family interacts with the new model.

I'm guessing that the average Joe isn't impressed yet since they don't even know about it. The Forester XT has made it much more known, but it still doesn't get the recognition. [url]www.autospies.com[/url] recently had a question "If you could only recommend one vehicle to a friend, what would you choose for the best car/truck on the snow and ice?" Sounds perfect for Subaru, right? Autospies' pick was the Forester XT for it's performance and decent clearance. Only one person mentioned a Subaru, and these are people who know about cars. The person who mentioned Subaru, would it shock you at all that he is Australian where Subies are much more popular and higher regarded? If the US car knowledgeable people don't even think about Subaru, then the average Joe is going to have a hard time knowing it's anything but a blip on the automotive radar screen. [url=http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2553]question[/url] [url=http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2564]replies[/url]

The problem is getting the word out. The harder part is getting the word out to a crowd that is somewhat set on their laurels and follows them. 'I've gotten X mfg for so many years and suited me alright so I'm sticking with that.' That's why I think they have to change their stradegy. Still work on the more mature crowd, but if they want a larger chunk, they need to advertise to the younger crowd more and more. Those in their late teens and early 20's and have vehicles for this crowd too that are appropriately set up and priced (perhaps $14-19k range where Mazda 3 fits, complete with MP3 player capability and the whole 9 to cater.) I know it won't pay off immediately, that's the hard thing to look at in business, immediate return. But, the gamble could pay off, catch the new buyer before their mind is decided and they could be able to entice a larger portion. I think that's the biggest way they are going to grow. I think the WRX crowd can be the first step to this process, and some of the early adopters may be just ready to move up to the GT. Just an idea.

[quote name='"SUBE555"'] 'I've gotten X mfg for so many years and suited me alright so I'm sticking with that.' quote] I guess there are people out there like this, I just do not know or understand them. I have owned products by Volkswagen, Ford, Honda, Nissan, Dodge and Toyota. My Prelude was the best by far (great seats), but I have no particular brand loyalty to anyone. If so, I would be buying a TSX vs. waiting for the new Legacy to enter the market. :idea:

Well my grandparents are definitely set, even though they won't be buying any more cars at their ages, one bought Mercurys his ENTIRE life, the other Toyotas for as long as I've been around and before that. Most family members really only look at one brand, maybe two, I know a lot of people that way. Color is another big thing. I know people that drive X color car also because they've had good luck with that color. It's more prevelant than one may think. Just look around.

My mom's dad is on about his 27th Cadillac. Since his sanity is going downhill, I bet he's on his final cars now. Before Caddy, he had a Nomad and other GM cars. He bought my mom an Olds 442 and my aunt some Pontiac conv. when they went to college. Aside from his antique original Model A sedan and truck, I think he was GM about all his life. Mdad's dad had several HUGE Lincolns.My dad finally got him to buy a smaller and safer Q45 in 90 and then another Q45 in 94 which he then put Stillen intake and ECU on. :lol: Big difference from the huge early 70's Town Cars he did have. For Subie loyalty, just look at SUBE's family loyalty. Even if there is another great car from another great brand, I doubt that Seth will be straying away from Subaru. Subaru needs to attract the brand unloyal people to get more attention so that they can gain some more brand loyal customers. Getting the unloyal people is necessary for growth, but then supplementing with loyal customers maintains that growth.

[quote name='EJ20H-TT']Well the WRX owners will grow up and buy the Legacy/Outback/Forester. Thats a big advantage for Subaru - younger drivers know about AWD experience[/quote] Kind of scary but I hear that frequently in my family. They say you need to grow up get rid of the WRX and buy something nicer. :lol: I guess I will conform and get someting different. Cheers Nick

[quote name='PPower']My mom's dad is on about his 27th Cadillac. Since his sanity is going downhill, I bet he's on his final cars now. Before Caddy, he had a Nomad and other GM cars. He bought my mom an Olds 442 and my aunt some Pontiac conv. when they went to college. Aside from his antique original Model A sedan and truck, I think he was GM about all his life. Mdad's dad had several HUGE Lincolns.My dad finally got him to buy a smaller and safer Q45 in 90 and then another Q45 in 94 which he then put Stillen intake and ECU on. :lol: Big difference from the huge early 70's Town Cars he did have. For Subie loyalty, just look at SUBE's family loyalty. Even if there is another great car from another great brand, I doubt that Seth will be straying away from Subaru. Subaru needs to attract the brand unloyal people to get more attention so that they can gain some more brand loyal customers. Getting the unloyal people is necessary for growth, but then supplementing with loyal customers maintains that growth.[/quote] I need to actually scan and post that pic. Maybe when we finish the house and pole barn and everything, I'll get some pics up. ;) Another example of the brand loyalty thing, another family member has had Cadillacs for god knows how long, but he's had enough to get a little gold badge on the grille. I think you need to buy at least 20 caddys. He's had about the same as your grandfather. Think he might get one more still. He keeps them til just under the warranty and trades them in. Believe it or not, there's a waiting list for his cars! :o As per the grow up thing, I know at least a couple of people who have gotten STi's for what it is, regardless having better status cars before, but they just didn't inspire like the STi. Gotta love it, that's all that matters. ;)

I showed a couple of colleagues the new Legacy, and both were mightily impressed, even as both admitted to having biases against Subaru (one for poor reliability on an '87 GL wagon, the other pure snob appeal). I showed one of them the silver wagon that is my screen saver, and love was in the air. Kevin

Archived