LegacyGT.com

no garage, no driveway, no hose

So here's the deal... I recently moved to a new apartment in a new state. Back home, I had access to a nice big garage... but here, no garage, no driveway -- not even a spigot that I could hook up a hose to! I do at least have a covered carport.

There is a wash place about 10 minutes away that has a coin-op pressure washer. I used it last week to wash, but with a bucket and my wash mitt instead of the spray foam stuff. By the time I got home, there was already a little bit of road dust on the car.

So, here is my tentative plan.

- Use the coin-op place to wash.

- Clay at the coin-op

- Wash again, dry and then head back to the apt

- Pull into the carport at the apartment, then apply Klasse AIO followed by Wolfgang sealant.

I'm hesitant to do it all at the coin-op, because I don't think I want to be stuck there all day! The cleaner / sealant is going to be a little time consuming because I don't yet have a porter cable. Then again, even if I did have one, there wouldn't be anywhere to plug the damn thing in...

So, a couple of questions...

1) Should I use a bit of quick detailer when I get back to the apartment to get off any dust picked up on the drive from the wash place before using the AIO? Or will the AIO just take care of any little bit of dust that might accumulate?

2) Should I let the AIO cure at all before applying the Wolfgang? It seems like more of a paint cleaner / polish, but the bottle says that it is an arcrylic sealant / protectant as well...

3) Does anyone in south-east michigan want to lend me their garage? I'll buy you beer :icon_bigg

I'm also planning on installing my boost gauge and changing my oil this weekend. Damn I miss that garage...

do you have relative/good friend (with a house) in this new state/city?

I would try to find them and stay over there for a weekend so u can do ur job there =)

By all means give them a thx by doing a good shine on their car as well. thats the safest way i can recall.

of course there are other ways... but i'll hand over the mic to OCD.

I'm in the same situation as you and I ended up doing it in this order and it worked out ok

-Wash to get the car clean at the coin op

-Take back to the Apt and clay, I had to do this cause the coin op doesn't allow me to hang around to do stuff there.

-After claying I drive back to the coin op and clean the car off again.

-I take it back to the apt and do the AIO application, I had some armour all car wipes that I got in a multi pack, they weren't something that I would buy but after using it a few times, they are not too bad, they work real good for people like you and I.

-I use the car wipes to clean off any dirty spots that the car might have kicked up

-Put the AIO on, I usually do the whole car then take it off with a clean cloth.

If your coin op car wash allows you to stick around just do your clay job there and go back in to wash.

Do not use the brush at the coin op place. It will destroy your car. You could go to the coin op and use a bucket and towels.

Oh don't worry, that brush will never touch my paint! Last time I was there I used my own bucket / soap / mitt.

'm in the same situation as you and I ended up doing it in this order and it worked out ok

-Wash to get the car clean at the coin op

-Take back to the Apt and clay, I had to do this cause the coin op doesn't allow me to hang around to do stuff there.

-After claying I drive back to the coin op and clean the car off again.

-I take it back to the apt and do the AIO application, I had some armour all car wipes that I got in a multi pack, they weren't something that I would buy but after using it a few times, they are not too bad, they work real good for people like you and I.

-I use the car wipes to clean off any dirty spots that the car might have kicked up

-Put the AIO on, I usually do the whole car then take it off with a clean cloth.

If your coin op car wash allows you to stick around just do your clay job there and go back in to wash.

Well it's good to know others have come up with pretty much the same strategy. The wash place I use doesn't seem to be attended, so I don't think anyone will be there to yell at me -- unless it's crowded and there are people in line.

do you have relative/good friend (with a house) in this new state/city?

I would try to find them and stay over there for a weekend so u can do ur job there =)

By all means give them a thx by doing a good shine on their car as well. thats the safest way i can recall.

of course there are other ways... but i'll hand over the mic to OCD.

Nope, nobody. Friends & family are all back in Pittsburgh -- which is why I had access to a garage there! The few people I've met up here so far mostly live in apartment buildings like me. I might try to hit up a few coworkers today though...

Well, thanks for the thoughts everyone! Unfortunately, I didn't get to wash this weekend -- my girlfriend had other plans for me. One day this week I'm going to hit up the coin-op after work though.

P.S. Could a mod maybe merge the other duplicate thread into this one, or just delete it altogether? Thanks!

Archived