LegacyGT.com

STi Brembos installed on F/R

KartRacerBoy

Had my brakes installed today. STi Brembos from FastWRX/Mach V. This is my last mod of the year after going from stock (except for 18x8 OZ Superleggeras) to Stage 2, adding Swifts springs on stock struts, Cobb hollow sways front and rear, and now the Brembos, all in last 60 days. Phew!

Next year, either aftermarket driver's seat, new TMIC, or mufflers for more sound.

118_1869_1.JPG.2b44b3632f20c1cd3531fad5126cf627.JPG

118_1859_3.JPG.108cf550607aa3d8e72354b1f770ded4.JPG

118_1869_3.JPG.021cd47e008c3e3fcceec5834107a732.JPG

Fricken shweet...I just ordered my Full Cobb set-up and am looking forward to it...if you could PM me and give me an idea what the cost is for the full Brembo set-up...I think I need to start saving...Hmmm?

so what did you use for the rear (bracket i assume +) special rotors or special parking brake shoes?

The rear bracket that comes with the Brembo kits works fine after a very small mod to the rear spindle...MachV can give you all the details....

More pics to come when my computer stops freezing when I try to upload. Bedded the pads in. Oh the sweet smell of hot brakes. After doing about 7-8 stops from 35 mph to 5-10 mph at moderate pressure, I did three ABS inducing stops on nice dry pavement from about 50 mph per Racing Brakes tech tip on bedding in street performance pads. Then I drove around for 10-15 minutes to let the brakes try to cool. WOW those things got hot! When I stopped after 10 minutes, the fenders above the front wheels were uncomfortably hot to the touch, so I drove around another several minutes trying not to use the brakes too much before going home.

They stop nicely. No fade despite hot brakes during bedding process. These are not supposed to really improve braking distance as much as increase fade resistance for my planned track days with the car (although a more aggressive pad might slightly reduce distances).

any more feedback from the brake upgrade? Is it worth the investment? I'm getting ready to have the f/r brembo conversion, but was hoping for a "big" improvement over stock, am I going to be dissapointed? thanks!

Patagonian is right. FastWRX sells the front kit for $1,195 and you'll need full length ss lines (the kit's lines are only 6" long and do not go all the way to the hard lines). Then sell your front stock brakes to a WRX guy for $350-450.

Are they a substantial improvement over stock? You can probably get 80% of this improvement by going to ss lines at all four corners and better pads along with high temp fluid. Cost $400+ versus a net of $1000 for a front Brembo setup after you buy full ss lines and sell your stock brakes.

I did this because a) I could :icon_bigg and b) I hope to track the car alot and I want to avoid brake fade doing it. The pedal is as firm as a 20 year old woman. Does it stop shorter than the stock brake setup? I doubt it. I bet if we could get a master cylinder that generated more fluid pressure, with the bigger brake pistons in the STi brakes and greater sweep area of the disks, the brakes could stop shorter, but I doubt we'll ever know!

One down side of this setup. The kit comes with Ferodo street pads and I have only put about 300 miles on the brakes, but I've never seen so much brake dust in my life. I hoping it's just a result of the bedding in process (they got hot enough that my fender over my front tires were almost too hot to touch - no bull!), but I doubt it. For street use, I may switch over to a different pad if this doesn't get better.

FWIW, I went with Hawk HPS and Racing Brake rotors with my kit and they dust very little. I sold the Brembo/Ferodo pads for $110, the stock GT brakes for $400 (with Cobb front pads), and the Brembo rotors for $250, so net I spent about $1100. I'm happy with it and would have gone this way and skipped pads/lines/fluid had I known I wouldn't be happy with it.

you'll need full length ss lines (the kit's lines are only 6" long and do not go all the way to the hard lines).

I already have Mach V's (fastwrx.com) ss lines for a lgt, will they work? thanks for your reply!

FWIW, I went with Hawk HPS and Racing Brake rotors with my kit and they dust very little. I sold the Brembo/Ferodo pads for $110, the stock GT brakes for $400 (with Cobb front pads), and the Brembo rotors for $250, so net I spent about $1100. I'm happy with it and would have gone this way and skipped pads/lines/fluid had I known I wouldn't be happy with it.

PGT, you tried ss lines and aftermarket pads and didn't like it? Why not? Still too soft?

it still didn't fix the pedal travel issue that all LGT's have (even the Spec B - and my mine gripe). The pedal travels half way and then bites. It's scary when you are used to driving a car with proper brakes (our Mini).

donde estas la fix?

Don't baffle me with that furrin' crap! :lol:

Somewhere in these forums is a thread on adjusting pedal free play so you have less travel in the pedal before it actually starts to engage the brakes. Surely with 11,000+ posts, the parts pimp did not miss this important thread!

Don't baffle me with that furrin' crap! :lol:

Somewhere in these forums is a thread on adjusting pedal free play so you have less travel in the pedal before it actually starts to engage the brakes. Surely with 11,000+ posts, the parts pimp did not miss this important thread!

Don't remember it. Did a search and it is not here. But...it is here:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19793

Can anyone vouch that this does in fact reduced pedal travel and improve initial bite?

I'm with PGT on this - did SS lines, fluid and Bobcats and was still disappointed. Braking is better for sure, but I want immediate responsiveness.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Then go with Brembos! Just front Brembos will do it, so says Patagonian, and with a kit price of $1195 from FastWRX, less the money you get from selling your front brakes ($300-450), it will cost you $750-900. Go for it!

Or try adjusting your pedal free play. I believe the link you provided is what I was talking about; Praedet or Xenonk provided a link to it in the midst of another thread perhaps.

Archived