LegacyGT.com

Wagon Halo!

So, I just got UP, DP, Ion springs installed. Gave 'em a bit of a test, unfortunately timed, merging onto freeway with fast moving traffic including state trooper a few cars back. Get pulled over, but lucked out with a warning. Then I realized, I'd been pulled over a few times over my driving years, and every time I was driving a sportly little sedan (WRX, for example), I'd gotten a ticket, no matter how innocuous the circumstances, yet, under similar circumstances, only gotten warnings while driving a wagon.

Coincidence?

Unfortunately I got a ticket last July, 4 days after I bought the car. I was coming home from Myrtle Beach and got caught going 14 mph over the speed limit. I was not paying attention I guess and being a new car it still felt different and is much quieter on the highway than my old car. Oh well, Wagon FTL that time.

I always find it amusing that people think that they are ticketed based on the kind of car they drive instead of the way they are driving.:lol:

As a 30 year police officer (25 of those years in traffic enforcement) I can assure you that it IS your driving, and the general approach of the officer to the particular offence, that swings the balance between ticket or warning.

I know that it makes a lot of drivers feel better to think they are the victim of some kind of CAR conspiracy.....After all who wants to admit that they are a bad driver??:(

A little paranoia goes a long way.:)

Police are normal people and have all the same flaws as joe public.

Some police officers can stereotype with the best of them and this effects their judgement.

Not saying all police profile but to say it doesn't happen.....

I always find it amusing that people think that they are ticketed based on the kind of car they drive instead of the way they are driving.:lol:

As a 30 year police officer (25 of those years in traffic enforcement) I can assure you that it IS your driving, and the general approach of the officer to the particular offence, that swings the balance between ticket or warning.

I know that it makes a lot of drivers feel better to think they are the victim of some kind of CAR conspiracy.....After all who wants to admit that they are a bad driver??:(

A little paranoia goes a long way.:)

I wish you were right, I really do.............but not all cops are like you.

I had a cop tell me he wanted to pull over my WRX (with v5 STi wing) when it was standing still.

However, when I look at the side of the road at cars that are pulled over, it's not a parade of riced-out Civics, Evos, and WRXs. So profiling seems to be out.

I got 12 mos. probation 9 months ago for too many points on my license. Since then, I do 5 over instead of 15 over, and wouldn't you know it, no more tickets in my WRX or LGT... Funny how that works.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

I swear that wagons are stealth to radar. Maybe I've just lucked out, or I haven't been going over the limit far enough (I generally keep within 10 over), but seriously I can't count the number of times I should've been pulled only only to be completely ignored. The only time I've been pulled over was in my 01 Outback wagon, got a warning for 71 in a 55. That was probably also the only time I wasn't intentionally speeding. :lol: (I was tired and trying to keep my eye on the road not paying attention to my speed. Normally I'm very concious of my speed)

This just happened 3 hours ago. I was on hwy 101 on the fast lane going with the flow of traffic at about 75mph. My exit was coming up in less than a mile but the slower lanes on the right were packed with traffic. Just about quarter mile laft to the off ramp, I saw an opening on the left lane, dropped to 4th, triggered the turn signal and cut over. As I looked over my shoulder, I caught a glimspe of a CHP 2 lanes away on the right most lane :icon_surp That was the reason why traffic was bunched up. By the time I left of the gas, I was way past 90mph. I kept my turn signal on, and gently slide over to the off ramp right in front of him while glancing at the rear view mirror.

He (yes... was a male officer... I could see his eyeballs) didn't light up his lights and just continued on his merry way :iam:

I have to thank my wagon guardian angel. I normally never drive above 70 on hwy101.

Picture Gallery

Don't thanks your "Wagon Angel"....thank the fact that you did this in front of an officer who could tell that you were simply trying to make your normal exit and did something a little abnormal for a second to get it done.:)

I know it must be hard to believe, but the police deal in offences not personalities or car stereotypes.:icon_lol: And we should all be happy that they do!!

*shrug* I was pulled over three times in my STi in the 2.5 years that I owned it, and I got off with a warning all three times (two for speeding, once for having no plates)... And yes, the wing was still on the car. :p

-Mike-

I got pulled over once in my STI, because I passed a soccer mom on a two lane state road, on a steep uphill, short passing zone, she was doing about 30 in the 45 for the previous 4 miles and this was the last passing zone for the next 10 miles or so, I guess she though no one should pass her mighty, road blocking Excursion, so she called it in to 911 :eek: and they sent out a car to intercept me, I get stopped about 15 minutes later and the officer explained why and asked me how fast I was going, I explained that my pass was done safely and as quickly as possible due to the short passing zone and he knew the road as well as I did, he just said "take it easy, with that huge wing, she probably thought you were some young kid with a fast car," "have a great day." And that was it. I've passed dozens of other vehicles in that zame zone, sometimes going a bit faster, as I tend to hold back and get a good run if it's clear, since the Wagon does not have the acceleration of the STI, no one has called in the leggy (yet)

They do stereotype, of course when I had an Imola Yellow S4, I was a cop maget, so is a Vette, STi, Evo, M3, etc etc etc....

On the other hand, on a wagon, which looks like a family car (hehehehe), they tend to overlook....

Of course a tweaked out wagon doesn't fall under the same circumstances.. heheehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

, since the Wagon does not have the acceleration of the STI, no one has called in the leggy (yet)

With a couple of G'$ you can get there my man!! hehehehehehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

This is cool....I feel like I am back on NASIOC with the "Kids"

There is no answer to this set of stories.......a lot of people just need to feel victimized.

My neighbour came over one day to tell me he had been stopped for NOTHING!! He had been ticketed for 1 Kph over the limit.......He showed me the ticket.....guess what?? 31 Kph over the limit in a 30 Kph "School zone"

"I'm entitled to a 30Kph leeway"....duh!! Double the limit in a school zone.

Enjoy your paranoia boys and girls!!:)

This is cool....I feel like I am back on NASIOC with the "Kids"

There is no answer to this set of stories.......a lot of people just need to feel victimized.

My neighbour came over one day to tell me he had been stopped for NOTHING!! He had been ticketed for 1 Kph over the limit.......He showed me the ticket.....guess what?? 31 Kph over the limit in a 30 Kph "School zone"

"I'm entitled to a 30Kph leeway"....duh!! Double the limit in a school zone.

Enjoy your paranoia boys and girls!!:)

Not really, I know it's hard for you to accept, but some cops do profile, some are racist, and some are just plain wankers. Being a cop doesn't make you an angel, it's just a job like any other. There's always a bad apple.

a bad apple... try a bad bushel lol.

i hate civilian police

+1 for military order lol. j/k

My WRB wrx with gold wheels and LEGAL tint with the stock spoiler and CF hood was followed ALL THE TIME. they would purposly pull "cop turns" and follow me. I even got nabbed once, one of my license lights were out. my wife said she got followed every day from work till her house turn off.

granted this is in a small town where they dont have much better to do but still it happens.

a bad apple... try a bad bushel lol.

i hate civilian police

I can really see that none of this is your problem.....:lol: :lol: LOL:lol: :lol:

You guys will go on about this (By yourselves) for ever.........You DON"T get ticketed for the kind of car you drive, you DO get it for the way you drive it!!!

Time for a little personal responsibility!!

Here is the identical thread started in the VIC forum of NASIOC by all the guys who hate the police and oppose a new law to abolish street racing.....you can all get together. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012432

Archived