LegacyGT.com

I will be going to test drive a Legacy GT soon, but I have some questions. I think my recent car ownership history will help you give me a better answer.

I used to have an 03 WRX. It was a great car when I felt like having fun. It was the best feeling car I've ever driven. It was fairly practical too, being that it had 4 doors.

My next car (big mistake) was a 2004 Accord EX V6 sedan with automatic transmission. That car was nice (luxurious for me) and had acceptable power. It was absolutely no fun to drive hard though.

My GTO is nice except it is difficult to enter and exit the rear seats. The trunk is small. We all know it is creamy smooth in the power department. It isn't nearly as fun as the WRX to drive on curvy roads though. It will not hesitate to swing the rear end in front if you aren't judicious with the throttle.

My question is this. Is the Legacy GT a good combination between the WRX and the Accord V6? I'm really having trouble finding the "perfect" car for me, that I can actually afford to drive and make payments on.

I want an automatic transmission too. That is one reason I'm ditching the GTO. A GTO with an automatic gets 18 mpg combined city and highway. I drive 20,000+ miles per year. So, gas mileage is a consideration for my less than generous budget. I have read that many 05+ Legacy GT owners with automatics get about 22 mpg. That would be acceptable to me when combined from the lower payment of buying a used 05 LGT.

I have also wondered what the WRX with an automatic would be like. I hear the lag is awful.

Any input would be appreciated.

My question is this. Is the Legacy GT a good combination between the WRX and the Accord V6? I'm really having trouble finding the "perfect" car for me, that I can actually afford to drive and make payments on.

I guess you can say they are...

I have driven all 3 and I chose the GT because of AWD, size, and price.

Make sure you test drive all 3, and really test drive them! dont baby them, GET ON IT!!!

measure trunk size, hop in the back seat, bring 4 friends with you and go on a test drive with them in the car.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Given a mix of city and highway driving, you can expect anywhere between the 18mpg you are already getting, and 21-22mpg on the high end. all highway nets between 22-25mpg.

If you drive the car with any kind of enthusiasm, you will likely get fuel economy numbers only slightly better than your GTO:( .

I guess you can say they are...

I have driven all 3 and I chose the GT because of AWD, size, and price.

Make sure you test drive all 3, and really test drive them! dont baby them, GET ON IT!!!

measure trunk size, hop in the back seat, bring 4 friends with you and go on a test drive with them in the car.

So, do you recall how "connected" the WRX felt? That is the feeling I'm looking to get out of a car. It is hard for me to describe. I think the automotive term for it is "steering feel". Is the LGT at all like that, or is it a little less communicative? I just need to go drive one.

Just as a side note, I got 23 mpg in my WRX. According to fueleconomy.gov, I should get 21 mpg in the LGT. That site's default numbers just happen to match my actual average mileage for my WRX, Accord, and GTO. So, I'm expecting 21 mpg in the LGT.

spacejunkiehsv if you're looking for ease at the pump, avoid an AWD, forced induction car (obviously you've had one of those already). I have a ridiculous commute myself and the best ever on the hwy was 28 doing my damdest to stay out of boost limping in the right lane with the idiots. With spirited driving divided almost equally city/hwy the best avg mpg over the year I've owned this car is 19 to 22 tops. I too searched high and low for about a year for a good sports sedan. I drove everything with four doors. The LGT by far is the best sports sedan for the money, although no American motojournalist will admit it. It is fun to drive and although many on this site complain of softness, the car handles the twisties quite well right out of the box.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

stock to stock, the steering feeling between the WRX and GT are much different. The WRX, being rally inspired will handle better.

For the LGT all you need to do is buy springs, sways and endlinks and you have a handling machine!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

stock to stock, the steering feeling between the WRX and GT are much different. The WRX, being rally inspired will handle better.

For the LGT all you need to do is buy springs, sways and endlinks and you have a handling machine!

+1 LGT + upgrades FTW. unless u wanna be a power hungry demon.. then stick w/ your GTO.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

if you're worried about lag, don't get the LGT with an auto. I have the wagon with the auto and the lag is pretty noticeable. Unless you keep the revs above about 3k rpm.

BUT the space is AMAZING. I have moved using my car as a moving car and have helped my friend's move. They're amazed at the amount of shit that will fit in this wagon.

Have you considered a V6 camry or the V6 maxima? or perhaps a IS250? They have plenty of power, no lag, and better fuel efficiency, I imagine. Might be a tad expensive though.

I had an 02 wrx wagon and now an 05 legacy gt both manual. i am able to tackle the same mountain roads with the same confidence with the gt as i did in the wrx. the biggest differance that i have noticed is that the gt seems to be at a higher rev than the wrx at freeway speeds. it might just be that the gt has more ponies and just pulls harder in fifth... once you get the dash squeak/ rattle taken care of, the gt is just as quiet as my friends acura tsx, and more fun than my other friends 330i. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Have you considered a V6 camry or the V6 maxima? or perhaps a IS250? They have plenty of power, no lag, and better fuel efficiency, I imagine. Might be a tad expensive though.

I've considered them, but not too much. My wife has an 04 Maxima. The steering on that thing is the most disconnected, numb feeling of any car I've ever driven. The torque steer is pretty bad too.

The IS250 doesn't really interest me. It is underpowered and expensive.

I don't think the Camry would do it for me, but I may drive one just to check.

Last week I traded in my 03 WRX for a 06 Legacy GT. I could not have been happier! I get the "spunk" of the WRX's engine with the luxuries of leather, moonroof, and just an overall "nicer" feel. The 03 WRX was a 2.0L and had quite a bit of turbo lag (I had a manual). The turbo lag with the GT (2.5L) with a manual is almost nill. It is very fun to drive, looks rad, easy to add some mods and is faster and almost as nice as the bmw 3 series, infiniti g35x, lexus 250 etc... I don't feel bad at all for making the purchase and I think you would be very happy also!

I also had a WRX before my LGT and I agree with most of what folks have said. However, IMHO the WRX is more tossable than the LGT (even with suspension mods) and does have better steering feel (I have whiteline steering bushings waiting to be installed on my LGT and so perhaps that will help here - and others who have that mod may be able to comment about that). Despite that, with the mods I currently have on my LGT, it is now more fun to drive than my WRX (without mods) was.

Good luck with your decision.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

i test drove the acura tl.bmw 3, evo mr,accord 6,lexus and infiniti g35

i wanted the evo no question that car is the best for the price i bought the gt mt because it was perfect for me now i wanted a daily driver that had power and was fun to drive yet could still haul passengers and serve as a daily commuter dollar for dollar the best vehilcle out there

it is way more fun to drive than the infiniti or the bmw the acura will age you

good luck

Archived