LegacyGT.com

Springs VS Coilovers

zildjiank

Okay, so I'm usually one that looks for the best and a great deal at the same time...

Consequently, I've run into a dilemma...

I've been thinking all along, GET COILOVERS...you know, a fairly good set like the MR or something such as that for 1000buckaroos...

But lately, I've been seeing a lot of springs on people's cars, and it sounds like it helps out also with performance as well as looks. I will be going stage II here soon, with maybe an exhaust to boot (just something more to think about and pay for...)

So here I'm at: I like the idea of a drop, but not too harsh of one, as I spend most of my year on the crappy roads of LA county...

I want better performance handling (because I drive hard and spirited, and I love onramps and offramps...) Although, I am not TOO disappointed with the stock set up (being that I'm not a track driver...)

Is there anyone out there that can sway or convince me to go either way? What do you guys think? What is the diff between the two, and what convinced you guys to buy either one?

Springs are pretty much the way to go for the street. They provide the drop and it is more of a set it and just drive it. Coilovers give you plenty of options, but are you going to really be changing the setup all the time? It does get costly when you have to constantly align it. If you make any height changes or adjustments it just gets to be a hassle.

Lowering springs from Swift and STi are great alternatives that can provide you a lowered look along with handling improvements. We know that many have been enjoying either one. Below is an image of what our wagon looks like with just Swift springs and stablizers.

http://www.mann-engineering.com/cars/images/legacyside.jpg

We have driven this setup in LA and have had no issues with them and it rides very very nicely even on bumpy roads.

We do coilover systems as well and many of my customers end up replacing their coilovers back to regular struts and springs after track events because the ride setup that they use for the track or autox is just a bit too harsh for the street. It boils down to preference. This applies to the Impreza and Legacy owners.

Good Luck with your decision.

Regards,

Gary

Coilovers provide an easy way to adjust the ride height and dampening setup on your car in a fairly quick manner. More importantly, they provide an excellent means to corner weight your car. Generally speaking, most coilover packages are less conducive to comfort on typical streets.

Since you're planning not to track your car [often], I'd suggest you skip purchasing coilovers so you can save money. I'm pretty sure you'd never "really" use them for thier true benefits. Since you want an ideal balance between handling and comfort, you should get springs with a moderate drop, a good set of tires, and slightly stiffer sway bars.

Your best bet is to go for a set of springs with a relatively minor increase in spring rate over your stock application (if you plan to use your stock struts). Remember, suspension travel is your friend. If you plan on lowering your car dramatically, you'll be riding on your bump-stops when full load is applied during a turn. Dropping the car more than 2 inches will dramatically reduce your ride quality and ruin your camber curves during full load.

Anyone know the Legacy's ideal ride heights? I know the Imprezas should be 14.5 inches from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender.

Cliff Notes: Coilovers are too expensive. Save your money and buy springs, good tires and swaybars.

My Cliffs notes

My old LGT, I had Coilvers then went to just springs. If you are not gonna track the car, a nice set of spings will do the job perfectly. If you are hardcore, or/and think you might track a bunch, go for coilvers.......

I love my KW coilovers. I was scared off by cheapy ksports and such.

(many people buying them and ditching them). Many of them look pretty, but ruin the rep for other coilovers(or people using them for what they weren't designed for).

The KW's can get comfortable and also be firmed up. Very nice german car feel.

Compared to the price of Springs + blistiens, I have no regrets.

Plus I have a knob to turn. :)

I had ION springs before, which I will say were excellent for just springs.

Handling/body roll is definitely better now, incrementally though..."not OMG its so much better!"

I have the option of absolutly "no loss" off comfort over just the springs.

I wouldn't get the KW's for pure racing. e.g. get something with the hard pillow ball mounts and a little stiffer still(or just replace the mounts).

One more thought. When I added passengers to my spring setup my car started to get mushy and sloppy(even with low mileage on struts). BMW's don't feel that way when you a couple passengers. With coilovers, my car seems to push back when I add weight. Sure you car is going to handling worse when you add weight either way, I think it hightlighted the fact that with the stock dampers/lowering springs, the setup was pushed out of spec with added weight.

I've heard good things about the MR's, but never tried them.

????

Have you done anything with tires yet?

depends on where you live. i found coilovers ratehr useful if you live in areas that get a lot of snow. my last 2 cars had coilovers on them and always have been raised for the winter, slammed for the summer.

For the Spec B, I would say that springs are the way to go, especially for a daily driver that doesn't see track time. The Bilsteins are fantastic, especially when paired with a set of Pinks or Swifts. However, on a normal LGT, it's a toss-up. If you plan to track or auto-x your car, you can't beat the adjustability of coilovers. The ability to run them on a softer setting for the street and then crank up the damping for track use is a very nice feature, as well as the option of setting whatever ride height you are comfortable with. However, springs will be a bit more comfortable for daily use, especially if you do a lot of driving on rough roads. With suspension, there is almost always a trade-off. It just depends whether your priority is the best handling possible with a decent comfort level or decent handling with great ride quality (although with the Swifts or Pinks I would classify the handling as better than decent, especially if you throw swaybars into the mix).

-Dan

I just did a set of Progress springs and I am verry happy after about 500+ miles. There is a deffinatly an increase in handeling and a drastic reduction of body roll, plus the drop looks great. They ride a little harsh but not too bad that I live in NYC and we are know for bad roads (I still think that NNJ has worse) and they fair just fine.

We do get snow so I am a little worried about the drop n the winter so yes I would like to have coilovers. We will see how this works out and maybe I will swap back to stock IF this doesnt work out. Iwould like to do coilovers and I am like you in buying parts, but i can't justify spending that kind of money if I am not going to get my moneys worth out of it. Get some springs and see how it goes if you don't like them then go coilovers, you can get a set for under $200 and they are prety easy to install. You can get a set of Progress, H Techs, or S Techs on Ebay they are like $160-$170 shipped. If you like them you will save $800+ if you don't then sell them for $100 and you are out less then $60. This is my plan BTW and so far I am happy with my springs so lets see how they take the winter and if they do well the I can deffinatly see an STi swap with meth injection in my car by spring.

hi, ok so for the people that get snow is coilovers better than springs? because i want to lower the car but afraid that in the winter i will be in shit. It seems like most people like springs since it gives you that lowered look and driving on normal roads is good. But how bout the winters? thanks.

i like springs cause they are simple. install them and you dont have to adjust them. at all

i like coil overs cause u can adjust them... but thats also a downfall. you have to adjust them. spring preload, ride height, re adjust ride height after it settels, and then maybe tweek it if its not level again. in my coil overs u can also adjust the shock settings.

in springs you general get a progressive spring. a much better ride. more like a stock ride but usually firmer then stock but the same quality

in coil overs its usualy a straight spring. which can be soft like oem. but mine is way hard. all the time. where as a progressive spring is soft untill it becoms compress then it gets stiffer, progressivly.

if you want to install a suspension once and not worry about it, go regular springs. if you want your car to be really slamed, or want to tweek the ride height from time to time, go with coil overs. iv had springs on my focus and coil overs on my legacy. givin the choice i would chose springs due to simplicity

i'm thinking of auto-xing a couple times a year but don't want to dish out the $$$ for coilovers... will springs offer any signifiant improvements? also, i'm new to this whole suspension thing. after i install the springs, what else will need to be done. alignment, camber, etc...?

dont fret it to much. i got adjustable coil overs and even though its cool that i can. i dont want to. its a pain to set all 4 corners equal height

there is a new invention catchin' up pretty quick, and it's called a tape measure. :lol:

you guys are making it sound a lot more complicated to adjust coilovers than it actually is. Plus coilovers come with a matched set of shocks and springs (unless we are talking tein SS). takes me about 20 minutes to go from summer to winter settings and another 20 to go back. I just make sure to use the tape measure.

and for the alignament you can pay firestone $140 for lifetime alignaments, valid until the car or you expires.

k-sports have adjustable shocks.

most coil overs i ahve seen are not a progressive spring. most coil overs are progressive springs which will ride better. it all depends on what u want. i wanted adjustability... i thought it was better. id rather have the rubber top mounts coil overs have, id rather have progresive springs for a better ride, id rather not have to adjust my shocks cause i dont know what im doing with them. id rather not have to install the springs, check, re adjust, re check, and maybe re adjust....

just my point of view. if you want to be able to do all that then fine. if u want to adjsut a rake front or rear or whatever then adjustable is for you.

dont fret it to much. i got adjustable coil overs and even though its cool that i can. i dont want to. its a pain to set all 4 corners equal height

you can preset the heights before even putting them on the car, it's called counting the threads or number of turns to raise or lower the perch.

another thing is that to get what you paid for, I'd corner balance the car anyways, so the car can really handle as it should..

Keefe

if it is a drastic change(say, an install) then definitely. but if it is after install, it depends on what and how much you have changed(AFAIK). (some recommend it no matter what you change)

Do you have to get an alignment every time you adjust the ride hieght and all? Or dampening etc?

for the ride height, not really.. if you are only changing the ride height by small fractions of an inch, but you normally do the alignment last anyways.. to save time and money, you can have pre-set markings on all your components so that when you do change them, you know where to make your adjustments so that you get the alignment you want..

Dampening you really dont have to mess with because you didnt change the actual stroke of the shock..

Keefe

do you need to do a new alignment going from 17" to 18" rims? noob wants to know:icon_bigg

I dont.. unless you are putting some massive tall and wide tires on the car.. if the two tires are similar in width and overall tire diameter size, I wouldnt change it (and I havent either)

Keefe

Archived