LegacyGT.com

is this possible?

the clutch/transmission just disengages the engine from the driveshaft rotation...

But I can't imagine than holding the front wheels stationary and rolling the rear wheels could be good for the center differential, which is well "behind" the clutch, in terms of the driveline... I can't see how the clutch or transmission would dissengage the rear driveshaft from the center differential.

To answer the first question, I can't imagine that a small utility trailer for a few pounds of yard tools and such would be any problem. Heck, ATVs can haul that much.

^^^ Don't you need a flatbed to tow an AWD vehicle??? :iam:

In some of the lower end and older models - you could disable AWD by pulling a fuse - effectively making a FWD vehicle. (i'm pretty sure the 4EAT Legacy is like this)

for the Legacy GT you can't disable it and it does need to be flatbedded.

^^^ Don't you need a flatbed to tow an AWD vehicle??? :iam:

To answer....

Automatic AWD subaru's need to be towed with all 4 wheel off the ground, Manual AWD Subaru's can be towed with either all 4 wheels off the ground, or with all 4 wheels on the ground with the transmission in nuetral.

In my case (with the tow dolly in the pic above) I simply drive it up on the tow dolly, and then unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end and bungi cord it up to the exhaust. That way the rear axle spins freely. :D

You towed the rally car with your wife's 2.5i?

How much strain was it on the motor?

Very little strain at all, the wife's 2.5i is equipped with a tranny cooler and the rally car & tow dolly only weigh around 2300 pounds (The max for the Legacy 2.5i is 2700 lbs). We even managed 19.7 MPG while towing the car to Miami and back! (About 700 miles) :D

Biggest strain was on the brakes even though the dolly had surge brakes if I do it again I'll use a dolly with electric brakes.

Archived