LegacyGT.com

2.5i vs LGT Suspension Differences?

You have made some really good points in regards to coilovers, so I'll have to admit that you have me considering them much more seriously than before. I previously thought coilovers were for the hardcore drivers with a bling complex rather than the spirited drivers with less lofty aspirations like myself, but it looks like that may not be the case. But as you can tell, I haven't fully convinced myself one way or another mainly because the "sport" shocks/struts don't even exist, yet. So, I'll wait it out and see what becomes available and read up on what each can provide me.

Remember, coilovers ARE STILL just shocks and springs put together in a new casing design with more bells and whistles.. you can literally set it up for that one time install and that's it (as most people do any way that dont want to go through that headache). But what you pay for a set of coilovers has a lot to offer, but many people dont realize the potential.

As for the rebuilds, not even normal shocks people do rebuilds, they just buy a new set of shocks to replace their blown one (which some dont even know if they had a blown shock anyways).

You can certainly set up the coilover to be very conservative for your use, and it can last a long time without any problems or any such issues of needing a rebuild within relatively short period of time. My coilovers are already at 40,000 miles and I have the option to get them rebuilt now to make them feel new again, or just continue driving just like everyone else until they really blow apart (which could be another 40,000 miles).. that's 80,000 miles before you really look at buying a whole NEW set of coilovers.. for the price you paid initially for the performance of coilovers of the time of 80,000 miles.. it's fair dont you think?

$2000 coilovers / 80,000 miles = $0.025 per mile of performance.. is it worth it? I think so. Not sure about how many miles you drive a year, but I think the average is 15,000 miles a year, so that's over 5 years on coilovers before you really have to toss them out to get a new set.. will you even have the car that long? Will you see yourself driving the car to 80,000 miles? That's something that you may have to look at as well.

Again, you can surely set up the coilovers to be conservative of what they can really do, and even the conservative setting is still way better than the stock shocks can do performance wise, heck it may still be way better by a large margin over just springs and aftermarket shocks combination.

Keefe

Archived