LegacyGT.com

Looking into race car driving.

AWD_Rules3830

so you're saying that your "underhand" is the one doing the actually controlling of the car and not the "overhand"?

I guess I may need to change my habit then because I am dominate in using my "overhand" to be the dominate hand to "pull down" the steering wheel in the intended direction, so if I turn left, I use my left hand to pull down on the wheel and if I turn right, I pull down on the wheel using my right hand. Since our hands are static anyways, as the wheel is turned, say to the right, the left hand will end up in the 12 or 2 position, this eventually becomes my dominate hand to pull the wheel down to the left to turn left while my right hand shuffles a bit to keep my hands away from the 6 position or 8 position.

In your video, I can see that your "underhand" does loosen the grip and thus making your "overhand" become the dominate controlling hand in the slide.

oh, and thanks again Gary for the videos, every bit helps for me.

Xenonk,

Let's change the terminology. I pull down on the wheel. So inside hand is dominant and outside hand is mostly for feel.

When the wheel is turned so far that I've got to loosen my grip on my inside hand, I would say that both hands share equal load. I'll still to most of the pushing with my thumb of my inside hand on the spoke of the wheel, while my outsid hand is responsible for very fine control and returning the wheel.

Gary

Sheehan Motor Racing

http://www.teamSMR.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived