LegacyGT.com

RBS grill makes my hood crooked

lhsa

i'm having a problem with my RBS grill. it fits fine, but my hood is now crooked and the gap (looking head on the frontside) on the left side is 50% larger than the right side.

does anyone else have this problem? any recommended fixes?

Well, the question I have to ask is, are you looking at the gap over the grille, or over the headlights? If it's the headlights, I doubt it's the grille, if it's over the grille that the gap looks different, then your grille isn't even.

Either way, I doubt your grille caused your hood to be crooked.

i'm looking at the gap in between the headlights/grill and hood/bumper. it didn't sit that way prior to the install. also, the hood requires much more force to close. That's why i assumed its the grill. i'll try to snap pics tonite.

i'm looking at the gap in between the headlights/grill and hood/bumper. it didn't sit that way prior to the install. also, the hood requires much more force to close. That's why i assumed its the grill. i'll try to snap pics tonite.

There is no gap between your hood and bumper! :iam:

I guess I'm confused what you're referencing.

+1 on pics tonight. I'm curious to see what you mean.

I remember that I had to adjust my RBS grille a little bit side-to-side to get even gaps along the sides of the new grille, but I didn't have any problems with the hood. Check the picture; everything is even and parallel. If you post pictures of your we might be able to help troubleshoot.

RBS.thumb.jpg.8b5488daafc91e0efb0445bd504dc05a.jpg

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Yeah Like he said, a peice of cardboard, a shim......slide it under the bumper skin, I used a 7 inch long 1'' wide peice of metal......flat as can be, no problems for 5k miles, 5 minute fix

Before:

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/B_RBS/Large/DSC03544.JPG

After:

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/B_FMIC/Large/DSC03975.JPG

finally got off my lazy azz and got a pic of the problem. the strange thing is i can't seem to even it out and it wasn't there with the stock grill. you can see the left side is about 2x the gap as the right side.

i should lighten the pic, its BSM, but it looks like a specB!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/LHSA-LGT/IMG_0466Large.jpg

I would guess that has nothing to do with the grill man, take off the grill and shut the hood, I'm betting the gap will on the pass side will still be larger, looks like the hood is just outta line a lil bit. There's nothing about install'n the grille that would affect the hood, unless someone you moved the latch somehow (which is doubtful)

And, looks like you already got it shimmed :D

If anything, I'd almost say that the bumper looks a little low on the right side (of the car, left side of the picture), rather than the hood being high. If you compare the outboard corners of the hood side to side it looks like they both line up beautifully with the fenders, so the hood position looks good to me. Maybe see if there's anyway you can shim the bumper to pull it up a little bit right at the spot between the grille and the headlamp? Although... this wouldn't help if you are having high hood closing efforts. Hmmm.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

If anything, I'd almost say that the bumper looks a little low on the right side (of the car, left side of the picture), rather than the hood being high. If you compare the outboard corners of the hood side to side it looks like they both line up beautifully with the fenders, so the hood position looks good to me. Maybe see if there's anyway you can shim the bumper to pull it up a little bit right at the spot between the grille and the headlamp? Although... this wouldn't help if you are having high hood closing efforts. Hmmm.

Looks that way to me too, the gap between the bumper and the passenger side headlight is larger too. Try adjusting the bumper to start with.

update for y'all. i took a close look at the hood and it appears that the hood itself is a little crooked. maybe i didn't notice it before the RBS grill, so the grill wasn't the cause.

do you think a dealer would fix/tweak the hood under warranty?

the space below the headlight looks similar on both sides.

Looks that way to me too, the gap between the bumper and the passenger side headlight is larger too. Try adjusting the bumper to start with.

Archived