LegacyGT.com

225/50-17 on stock wheels fit?

Autophysics

Has anyone succeeded in putting 225/50-17 tires on our stock wheels?

Due to potholes I'm wanting to increase tire size to Goodyear GS-D3 in 225/50-17 on the stock 17x7 wheels and it looks like I have about 3/4" clearance between the stock tires and the front spring perches. On paper it looks like it would just fit with barely 1/4" clearance left.

BTW the $88.00 sale offer at Tire Rack for GS-D3 in 215/45-17 is still on http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3&partnum=145WR7F1GSD3

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Darryl

What are you going to do about your speedometer?

You'll be about 5% off.

Not the end of the world, but not advised either.

At 60 mph indicated, you'll be at 63 actual.

Thanks for the feedback!

I realize it would be about 5% above speedometer but I can deal with that. I also realize that I'd get less torque, and a slightly heavier tire - but that extra 5/8" of sidewall height would hopefully give better impact protection. Our roads are horrible in Hawaii particularly after record rains.

I'm already running 40psi in the stock tires - for dealing with potholes should I run higher or lower?

I'm almost thinking I should have gotten the Outback instead - with it's 225/55-17 tires, but that just won't work on the Legacy GT so I was hoping to get as close as possible to that. - so - back to my original question - realizing that it's not really advisable from an mph accuracy and handling point of view - will it fit?

Am I really that crazy?

^ +1.

225/45/17s on stockers - here in NE-Ohio, exclusively for winter use.

I run 38/36 psi front/rear, cold, for my above-sized Falken ZIEX ZE-512s for the winters here, and typically don't even blink when I roll over potholes. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks for letting me know it's doable. Now I need to decide whether to be prudent and go 225/45 or go overboard and attempt 225/50.

I was originally thinking of going to 225/45-17 but that's only another 2/10 of an inch in sidewall height and I was thinking that might not be enough to make a significant difference.

Thanks for letting me know you've have had good results with the 225/45-17 on potholes and that's what is being recommended.

The 225/50-17 has 6/10ths sidewall height over stock so it seems certain to make a significant difference - in both desireable (for me) and undesirable characteristics.

The handling wouldn't be worse than an Outback would it? - but I realize the Outback has different gear ratios so I'd be slower than an Outback XT.

Has anyone actually used 225/50-17 on the stock Legacy GT wheels and regretted it?

Darryl

I just put 225/45r17s on and the difference from OEMs when hitting potholes was significant. It doesn't feel like my tires are made of rock anymore. Personally, with the LGT suspension being a bit soft, I think the 225s are a better mate.

Thanks for letting me know it's doable. Now I need to decide whether to be prudent and go 225/45 or go overboard and attempt 225/50.

I was originally thinking of going to 225/45-17 but that's only another 2/10 of an inch in sidewall height and I was thinking that might not be enough to make a significant difference.

Thanks for letting me know you've have had good results with the 225/45-17 on potholes and that's what is being recommended.

The 225/50-17 has 6/10ths sidewall height over stock so it seems certain to make a significant difference - in both desireable (for me) and undesirable characteristics.

The handling wouldn't be worse than an Outback would it? - but I realize the Outback has different gear ratios so I'd be slower than an Outback XT.

Has anyone actually used 225/50-17 on the stock Legacy GT wheels and regretted it?

Darryl

You can do 235/45/17 (which is a stock EVO size tire) and they do just fine in the snow and through the city.. similar car size and similar weights.. so it should be fine. You really dont need much more sidewall to cushion the blow, remember, it's all relative to your tire pressures as well.. no sense in running a large sidewall if you dont have the air in the tire to support the sidewall upright.

From my own standpoint, and you take it for all its worth, I ran a 245/40/18 tire on my GT and that was already plenty big and cushioned. You really dont need to go that big like a 225/50/17.. any taller or wider and you got yourself a truck tire.

Keefe

don't forget the stock RE-92s have really soft sidewalls. and although the F1's are on the soft side for max performance tires, they're still going to have stiffer sidewalls than the stock gumballs.

Speed rating also has a lot to do with how stiff your sidewalls will be, and consequently how stiff your ride and how responsive the tire is to driver input.

If you're really concerned about the ride, try bumping down to H-rated tires (right below V-rated).

Archived