LegacyGT.com

Problem With CD-Rs in Factory Head Unit

Adriftoc

I was curious if anyone else has experienced this problem with their factory unit. I, like most people, listen to CD-R's mostly. Lately I have been having the same problem. My CD-R's will skip after about half the CD has played. I don't understand it. The CD's don't have anything on them and arn't even scratched. The CD player just started skipping and and freezing after track 10-15. I use iTunes and usually burn the discs at 2x with a 1 second gap. I use memorex CD's. I don't think I am doing anything wrong, but this problem has happened with almost every burned CD I put in. Its a 6 CD changer completely stock system (momentarily) in a 2005 Legacy Limited. Any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed the same problems. My WRX never had as many issues as the LGT so I know its not the burner. I even tried many different types of media. I think the last just kind of sucks in our head unit.

Maybe it isn't a wide spread problem, but a run of units? Or maybe yours is just flakey? You could also try re-burning the exact same disc with another burner to see if it is burner specific.

I only play CD-R's in my 6-disc changer in both the 06 LGT and 04 Forester and have never had one skip. I also fill the CD-Rs to the brim. I use a CD-RW burner in my Dell workstation and generally burn at 1/2 the maximum speed for the CD-R. Don't know if the speed at which the disc is burner makes a difference but I've never felt a need to push the envelop and risk a bad disk.

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I have the same problem. At first i thought it was a scratched disc, but it does it on more than one non-scratched disc. I then realized that it never skipped on store bought cd's. I dont really think there is anything wrong with my burner as I have burned quite a few cd's in my day and no other player has ever had the same problem.

Never had a problem with mine, either. I can't remember who it was, but this came up before and someone here suggested that you need to burn your CD's at a slower speed to ensure they work. Not sure why that would matter, but I've always burned mine at 12X and they've always worked. Maybe give that a try...

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I had the same problem and found a solution:

I bought 'Yuden' (made in japan) CDR discs from newegg - they are considered the best in terms of quality and started burning with 'cheetah burner' instead of 'NERO'

That solved the 'hick ups' .

Enjoy

It has to be the discs or the burner. I use Nero and have burned 500+ discs that each are running in a different Subaru and AFAIK, none of them are skipping. I would def. have heard about it by now if they were. A couple were destroyed in shipping, or corrupted completely, but the rest are fine. I use an NEC DVD burner at full speed (48x)...I was getting a lot of failures for awhile and updated the firmware and it helped that...but none of them skip. I've used a variety of discs, but never the cheap cheap ones - TDK usually. I have been using good Office Depot "generic's" lately and they seem to be working really well too. My guess is it's your burner...possibly just a firmware update away from working correctly.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

It has to be the discs or the burner.

:lol: your response reminds me of one of the funniest responses I've heard from a typical "IT help desk."

your problem may or may not be a software or a hardware issue.

:lol: your response reminds me of one of the funniest responses I've heard from a typical "IT help desk."

your problem may or may not be a software or a hardware issue.

Well, the original post/thread title implies that it's a problem with the headunit - my response is that it probably is not.

Without more info, it's impossible to rule out either of the remaining possibilities.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Well there is a simple explanation.

nero's burning method of audio files is continues - meaning

it doesnt close of finalize each track individually (at least well enough)

the cheetah burner i'm using actually goes through the trouble of finalizing each audio track on the cd - but doesnt consume too much time in the burning process..

I hate listening to my fav song and hear it skip... - well no more :icon_tong

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't had that problem yet with my new LGT, but I have heard the same thing as others have mentioned- most likely the quality of the burner or the blanks used. Those are the 2 things I would be most critical of.

I use a dedicated Professional Tascam CDRW-700 stand alone burner and burn CD-r and CD-RW just fine and LGT never has a problem. My 2004 WRX was a bit cranky on Memorex CD-RWs. I bought a bunch of Verbatim CD-RWs pretty cheap I think. By the way these are data discs too. Just like you can use in a computer.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Archived