LegacyGT.com

Another headunit in 05-06 lgt question

Jeff_B

Hey guys,

Alright, I tried searching, but i just got my self more confused. So we're blessed with this one piece radio/hvac control panel with the dual climate control. If I were to take this panel out, could I removed the factory radio, but leave the climate control, then cut up the panel and do a little fiberglassing to fit a double din headunit? What problems might I run into? I figure if I can just gut the factory radio, i should be able to go from there.

thanks

Jeff

there is one member from Cali i think that actually performed this surgery and resoldered circuit boards fro the hvac to work......

unless you're some kind of engineer i wouldnt attempt it just do another head unit in the cubby like other have done or use the stock HU and add a cleansweep or equivalent....

Nothing is impossible, just requires more money.

Member Daswrx installed a double din into the factory radio position by disecting the radio and HVAC pcb and grafting wires to relocate the radio portion out of the way. I would venture to say most install shops would not touch this project, so if it's over your head, move on. The links to his post pictures are not working at the moment, but imagine a plate of speghetti with a radio in the middle.

I, as well as several other members, have installed double din HU's into the former cubby location with excellent OEM like results. As much as I didn't want to leave a dead OEM radio installed, I'm over it and couldn't be happier with the final results.

ignore him, he'll go away.

thanks for the replys, see, i don't like the radio being up so high, i don't want to lose my little mpg computer thingy, and i don't like the idea of having a dead factory radio, too many negatives for me. I'm going to look into what that daswrx did and maybe look for a spare radio to work on

I was looking into the same thing as you. I asked around at numerous shops. Apparently from what one of the audio tech guys told me at Circuit City (although he could have been an idiot) The new Ford Taurus has a similar problem. What they do is, they remove the entire circuit board from the center console, and put in a new circuit board just for the Climate control unit, leaving a space for a deck up above. One problem is...the climate control they replace isn't really climate control..its manual and doesn't have a temperature sensor or dual climate knobs. Another problem is that nothing like that has come out for subaru...yet. What I am going to do is to the cleansweep route. Use my factory head unit and have everything else aftermarket. Doing the surgery you are talking about....if you screw up you are screwed. I wouldn't recommend it.

FTW

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/300_info_panel001.jpg

Thats really cool!!!!!!

Also I looked at that guys install on the link above and all I can say is wow, that guy is amazing. Thats more than I would want to do though. I want something like this pic below, with with the dual zone climate control.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2849/dsc01282small4yn.jpg

I want something like this pic below, with with the dual zone climate control.

Ha, you and everyone else on this board:icon_bigg . As previously suggested, your two most cost effective options are staying with the factory HU and using a JL cleansweep, or leaving the factory HU for dead and installing a single or double din in the cubby.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived