LegacyGT.com

Short Shifters... probably a repeat

I know this question has come up before, but does anyone have any recommendations or personal reviews on whats the better shifter: STi complete shifter assembly or one of those 1 piece kits?

I am not so concerned with the decreased throw, as I am with the accuracy of the shifts.

I don't know about accuracy, but I was MUCH happier with the Cobb Double Adjustable than I was with the STI short throw that I drove.

If it's an accuracy thing though, you probably should start with hardened bushings and then consider a short shifter.

Either way, I'd personally recommend the Cobb Double Adjustable. Slick little shifter.

Thanks for the reply!... but what does the hardned bushings do?

...my biggest annoyance is shifting from second into third (power shifting) and it either misses completely, getting stuck in neutral, and then hearing that unpleasant grind after almost forcing it in... I suppose I could use more clutch, but I used to drive a civic - and that one was always precise...

I had the Subaru STS installed a week after I got my OBXT, so I could compare the two. The throw is definitely shorter, but the silkiness is lessened. Well, neither is silky; wrong term. The smoothness is lessened on the STS; it's pretty notchy. I'm getting used to it now (actually really getting to enjoy it now), but it's nothing like the new Honda Civic Si 6-speed STS, for example, which is pretty perfect. From other things I've read, get the Cobb or the Kart Boy and not the Subaru STS.

Well, I drove rfd425's LGT with the STI short shifter and I have the Cobb STS.

I like the Cobb much better. I think it's fairly smooth, and felt a little tighter than the STI shifter. I thought the STI was the stock shifter until Rich told me different.

The hardened shifter bushings will give a more direct feel. It might feel more notchy, but it will be less vague. The softer bushings will allow for more play when shifting.

If it's the 2-3 shift you're looking to improve, I thought the Cobb shifter helped that a LOT. I also shortened the height a lot, and that seemed to make it more comfortable.

YMMV

I love the Cobb double-adjustable. You can change the length of the throw and the height of the shifter to fit you perfectly.

I didn't try removing the snap ring with needle nose pliers, but I think it would be very difficult to do. It'll make your life much easier to just pick up some snap ring pliers. They're cheap.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

2006Specb122,

I had no problem doing the work with needle nosed pliers, but like other folks have suggested, the job is probably easier with the right tools.

And, speaking to the original thread, bushings will probably make a bigger difference in improving the sense of accuracy than any of the one piece kits by themselves. I installed the front and rear bushings with my Kartboy install and the feel is much more direct. I have no experience with the STi product, so can't comment there.

Well... I'll chime in too. Why not? I'm bored and just got killed in Counter-Strike.

Cobb shipped me their STS and bushings yesterday. I'll do a review in the Reviews section as soon as I get the goodies installed.

I don't know why more of the Forum hasn't done so. There are only a handful of reviews up there but I know dozens of folks have these things.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

OK... didn't remember about the reviews....

Looks like cobb shipped them out to everyone this week. :)

I'll review after I've used mine as well!!!

Cool.

I ordered it like 1 or 2 weeks ago. At the time, they told me it was on backorder. So I guess that explains it.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Oh, no this has never been discussed before, noob.

=)

So, anyway, I have the Kartboy, and I really love it - it is very short, and the shifting is crisp - nowhere near the miata, but what are you expecting ?

I think this is much better than the subaru sts - this shifter has a shorter throw, and a shorter top. It's well made, but there may be a clearance issue with fifth gear in your car. Mine is fine but just barely. See the excellent install post somwhere here on site (search!).

I feel no need for bushings, although I would like the noise to be less. I'm just too lazy to do the install myself - would be more interested in doing it with a few friends and beers around, so I guess I'm just waiting for that to happen =)

Get the shifter. AFAICT, they are all very good, so just pick one. Of course, I think the Kartboy is the best, and it's cheap! So get that one. They also give you a hot gobstopper to suck on while you do the install. Yum.

GL

...my biggest annoyance is shifting from second into third (power shifting) and it either misses completely, getting stuck in neutral, and then hearing that unpleasant grind after almost forcing it in

This happens constantly with my STi S/S, drives me insane. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on this forum before. Hard to believe we're the only two schmucks it's happening to.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

...my biggest annoyance is shifting from second into third (power shifting) and it either misses completely, getting stuck in neutral, and then hearing that unpleasant grind after almost forcing it in... I suppose I could use more clutch, but I used to drive a civic - and that one was always precise...

This shifter is pretty notchy; sometimes it feels like its all the way in gear when it really isn't. I actually made this mistake today, but these are few and far between. Sometimes you just have to use alittle muscle, making sure the clutch is in the floor, and such, to get it to go in gear.

I love my car ... basically.

I have driven with both the cobb and the STi sts. Cobb wins hands down. Ypo can adjust the throw to your liking AND you can adjust the height to your liking!!:icon_bigg Coupled with the momo shift knob it is perfect imo.:) I have heard the Kartboy is also excellent but you can't choose the throw height or the shifter height. Stiffer bushing will increase "feel" and precision but will invariably increase NVH as well. It's all in the way you want it to feel. Want shorter throw? Get the Kartboy. Want adjustability w/throw+height, get the Cobb for a few $$ more.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I have driven with both the cobb and the STi sts. Cobb wins hands down. Ypo can adjust the throw to your liking AND you can adjust the height to your liking!!:icon_bigg Coupled with the momo shift knob it is perfect imo.:) I have heard the Kartboy is also excellent but you can't choose the throw height or the shifter height. Stiffer bushing will increase "feel" and precision but will invariably increase NVH as well. It's all in the way you want it to feel. Want shorter throw? Get the Kartboy. Want adjustability w/throw+height, get the Cobb for a few $$ more.

Actually, even if you want a shorter throw, I'm pretty sure that you can adjust the throw on the Cobb shorter than the Kartboy.

Actually, even if you want a shorter throw, I'm pretty sure that you can adjust the throw on the Cobb shorter than the Kartboy.

Yup, I think you are right. You may have to do a little trimming though so it doesn't rub. (throw height not stick height that is):)

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

This happens constantly with my STi S/S, drives me insane. I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on this forum before. Hard to believe we're the only two schmucks it's happening to.

im speaking for myself... but i just havent learned how to drive yet hehe ...got too used to that damn honda, lazy...

this really helped, cause i almost bought the sti thinking it was better

im gonna go with the cobb sts for the flexibility with the throws and the height, and see after the install if i want the hardened bushings too...

Archived