LegacyGT.com

AC Outlet Temp

Has anyone measured their duct temp with the AC on recirculate?

With an ambient of low 90s and high humidity, the AC outlet temp is just under 50F. I don't feel or think it's cool enough.

Do any of you feel the AC is a bit weak in our cars?

I had a 02 WRX and it felt the same.

AC effectiveness doesn't seem to be a Subaru strength.

Has anyone measured their duct temp with the AC on recirculate?

With an ambient of low 90s and high humidity, the AC outlet temp is just under 50F. I don't feel or think it's cool enough.

Do any of you feel the AC is a bit weak in our cars?

I had a 02 WRX and it felt the same.

AC effectiveness doesn't seem to be a Subaru strength.

That's pretty damn cold, you realize the evaporator starts to freeze up somewhere close to that? But try driving. Even in 100F at 80mph the air is cold enough to hurt my hands. It doesn't work too well when not moving.

I've noticed recently when we have some hot (90 degree), humid weather here, that my a/c also isn't as cold as I feel it should be. I need to check the outlet temp first, but on a modern car, I was a bit suprised at how luke warm the a/c seemed to be in those conditions. Definitely not cold enough to make your hand uncomfortable no matter how long you held it in front of the vent.

I'm not ready to conclude something is wrong just yet, but I'll be checking and watching now. If nothing is wrong, and it continues functioning like it did, on a 90+ degree sunny day, this car could be a bear to keep at a comfortable temp inside.

agreed that 40 plus degree drop sounds impressive, but all my GM vehicles get the duct temp to 42-45F regardless of outdoor temp and humidity. You would be surprised at how much of a difference 5 to 8 degrees colder makes.

I appreciate all your commentary on "feels cold", "feels painful", etc. Duct temps relative to outside temp and humidity will help us conclude whether it's working effectively or not.

Keeping it moving definitely improves A/C performance. If you are stuck in traffic on a hot day, the A/C won't do much at idle speed. However, if you put it in neutral and rev it up to 2000-2500 rpm while you are sitting there, the A/C will perform much better.

Definitely try closing the the sunroof shade -- much better if the angle of the sun is such that it is shining down onto you. The AC on the 06 is weaker than on my 02 Forester.

Here is the biggest help be sure to have your system set on recirculate. I agree the A/C in these cars is certainly not the coldest. I've measured my buddies 1997 Nissan Maxima and then straight to my LGT his duct outlet temp was about a solid 8 degrees colder.

I live in Houston, and of all the cars I've ever owned the legacy has to have some of the best A/C and it gets damn hot and humid here. BTW I've noticed that audi/VW/Ford tends to have the weakest A/C's. While GM/Subaru/Acura tend to have the best.

I'm in vegas, and the outside temp. was reading 105 yesterday. The A/C does not feel very cold to me, either. I was thinking the same thing. I have a Dodge Neon rental car at the moment, and the A/C is colder in that... :(

I'm not really complaining, since my fiance hates when it's too cold, but I just thought it would be icy cold in a brand new car!

"Insert Signature Here"

my exact point!

I also noticed that the air goes from being very cold to a momentary warming and then very cold again. As though the compressor is cycling. But if I'm not mistaken the 06 Legacy has a variable displacement AC compressor meaning that it does not digitally cycle on/off but rather varies the amount of R134a it compresses.

mine used to very cold, then one day i left from home and turned it off for like 5 minutes. when i started it back up again i started getting some sort of fumes in the car for a good minute or so. after that the air works, but it's not as cold as it was before. in 90 degree weater barely cuts it, while before i was cold in the car with 90 degree weather. another thing i noticed after the smoke incident is that the compressor is mainly on, no cycling on and off

my air vents constantly expel air, hot or cold, even if everything is off. I have checked to make sure that the circulation mode is only within the car before turning it off, but it always has air coming out. Why is this?

Archived