LegacyGT.com

Installed Swift springs and F/R hollow Cobb Swaybars on my LGT wagon 5MT

KartRacerBoy

Sounds like all is going well. Believe it or not better dampers will make your handling 100% better. You think it is good now, wait until you get some Bilsteins, or maybe the new KYBs.

+1, a nicely matched damper will greatly refine the setup on the wagon.

KartRacerBoy, I was hoping you could do a fellow enthusiast a favor:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6296/118185234lv.jpg

I'm wondering if you had to modify your bump stops with these springs. Your setup looks a little on the low side; do you bottom out upon full load during a turn?

Do you feel you have an adequate amount of suspension travel? TIA!

Yes, I did think it looked a little low. My first thought upon opening the Swift box was that the springs were counterfeit since the the Swift sticker was placed oddly on the spring. Like the Tein counterfeits. Bumpstops did not have to be modified according to the install instructions.

But if it's a counterfeit, it's a good one. Firm and only on REALLY bad roads or bad railroad crossings do I get annoyed. Not harsh. I cannot compare to other springs as I have not driven or ridden in other LGTs. I have not bottomed out at all.

PS - now that I have the springs on nearly a week, the noise has pretty much gone away, except for the rear out of the driveway, speedbumps, etc. Then it clunks but no other times.

I will try to get measurements of the new ride height and post them.

Measured for you. from center of wheel cap to bottom of fender plumb above the wheelcap, front = 13" , rear = 12" with front and rear brembo bbk kit in rear of car. I'll remeasure tommorow after I install the Brembos. And this time I'll wash the car for pretty pics.

+1, a nicely matched damper will greatly refine the setup on the wagon.

KartRacerBoy, I was hoping you could do a fellow enthusiast a favor:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6296/118185234lv.jpg

I'm wondering if you had to modify your bump stops with these springs. Your setup looks a little on the low side; do you bottom out upon full load during a turn?

Do you feel you have an adequate amount of suspension travel? TIA!

Measured for you. from center of wheel cap to bottom of fender plumb above the wheelcap, front = 13" , rear = 12" with front and rear brembo bbk kit in rear of car. I'll remeasure tommorow after I install the Brembos. And this time I'll wash the car for pretty pics.

Thank you kind sir.

Not too sure how much of a sililarity the Legacy and Impreza components have in common (my assumptions says they're very close), but ~13-14 inches is ideal for the Imprezas in order to promote good camber characteristics under full suspension load.

On a side note, your drop looks very nice. It's nice to see that you're close to that magical ride height number. It looks aesthetically pleasing to the eyes (Read: big fan of lowered cars) and is probably just as functional.

Any plans for the struts? Or are you satisfied with the ride quality?

Not a bad ride quality, but I'm sure my wife will compain on bumpy secondary roads! As for long trips on vacations, I'll slip on 17" wheels w/ xtreme all season tires to soften the ride (not enough 1 foot snowfalls to rationalize snow tires and handling compromises).

I'm awaiting Koni struts (yellow, red or FSD) or KYB or any adjustable unit. Baited breath and all that!

Your wagon is hot man!!

Definitely my set up..

Can't spend money now (in the middle of a new home construction), but I will for sure go that route....

I really wish you were closer for me to take your baby for a spin...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

NIce choice in cars Flavio!

The rear actually rides better loaded. I had the Brembos in the back on the way to my installer and that is alot of weight and all in the tail, and despite losing an inch of ride, it rode smoother over small bumps.

• 3 weeks later...
Great looking ride! I have Swift springs ready to go on my '05 wagon and already have the Cobb bars on so very excited. FYI, the Tokico D-spec shocks are going to be released in the U.S. in a few weeks. I know Dan at Mach V had these on his wagon, has anyone had any experience with these? Great to thear though that the ride is nice with the stock struts.

were you able to actually put the cobb brackets on the rear end? The shop that did mine said you could not put them on unless you cut off the old brackets that are welded to the frame. I spoke with cobb who basically agreed and told me to send the brackets back and they will refund me. I am confused... Also curious about trdvibe's question about clunking, no isssues so far?

hmmm...thanks LttleBlueGT, maybe I need to find another shop then and get a second look? But I don't understand why Justin at Cobb basically agreed with me then. He didn't come right out and say it, but he suggested the brackets were actually initially designed for the STI and only modified for our cars. He said to send them back. Odd. Oh well, I will take it somewhere else this weekend.

:(Should have driven up, Boxer and I would have done it for free. I would like to go for a ride some time, im running swifts on SpecB struts and want to see how they compare :icon_twis

Deepfrezze has a place for under $150 not to far from you.

Man, I'll give you a ride anytime!

hmmm...thanks LttleBlueGT, maybe I need to find another shop then and get a second look? But I don't understand why Justin at Cobb basically agreed with me then. He didn't come right out and say it, but he suggested the brackets were actually initially designed for the STI and only modified for our cars. He said to send them back. Odd. Oh well, I will take it somewhere else this weekend.

They are very simliar to the Perrin brackets.

Did they look at the ionstructions?

Had the full Cobb swaybar sett including Brackets and End Links ...along with JDM springs and wow what a difference...had a nice drive on the Whistler Hwy...very noticable...problem though...went slowly over a speed bumb and..."Clunk"...dooh! Hope this gets fixed soon...not a good sound!

Peace out...!

The installer had no problems though and said everything was easy and fit well!

Had the full Cobb swaybar sett including Brackets and End Links ...along with JDM springs and wow what a difference...had a nice drive on the Whistler Hwy...very noticable...problem though...went slowly over a speed bumb and..."Clunk"...dooh! Hope this gets fixed soon...not a good sound!

Peace out...!

The installer had no problems though and said everything was easy and fit well!

re-tighten your endlinks....

Keep an eye on the space between the lower control arm & the end of the rear sway bar - some ppl have had issues with the bar hitting the arm over bumps. I don't recall it being an issue with Cobb bars, but maybe. If you research the Perrin bars you'll find plenty of pics of this phenomenon.

Archived